Away goals rule, time for a rethink.

minstral

Stupid idea to scrap it.

There would be nothing worse than drawing 0-0 at home, then drawing 3-3 against Man Utd or someone, then losing on penalties. I'm sure you'd all be screaming for the away goal back then.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

something which has always p*ssed me off about the away goals rule (although we could benefit next thursday) is how the away goals rule still counts in extra time which aint fair on the home team

why should the away team gain an advantage merely from the luck of the draw

like i said, we can benefit from this stupid rule next week but i seem to remember we got turfed out by sparta prague(?) at home a number of years ago because of it

Totally agree on that point. Its really unfair on the home team, as the away team have an extra 30 mins worth of advantage.

Don't think scrapping it would affect much most teams in Europe regardless of the away goal would still rather not concede and that would make it count for both teams then. So lots more 0-0 bore draws.

I don't think there's even been that many boring games in Europe either mainly just ours.

Stupid idea to scrap it.

There would be nothing worse than drawing 0-0 at home, then drawing 3-3 against Man Utd or someone, then losing on penalties. I'm sure you'd all be screaming for the away goal back then.

Dont agree. There would be nothing worse than draying 2-2 at home to Man Utd, then drawing 1-1 away and going out on away goals.

Strange to want to change thing when we are being successful I would have though it would have been the tims who would want to move the goalposts and change the rules

i just said it has killed the game as last night showed , when we were just outside their box and we passed it all the way back to our own keeper.

If the away goal rule was scrapped, they would be no point for us to get to the Knock out stages we don't have the quality to go and Attack teams!

AWAY GOAL RULE LOYAL :rangers:

No, we should have the quality and ability to go attack teams!

Bizarre thread.

We have our best run in Europe since 1972 based on a 4-5-1 system that strangles the offensive side of our opponents' gameplan and then uses the away goal rule to our advantage - we do this so successfully that we are 90 minutes away from a European Final - and on the back of that we have RFC fans wanting the away goal rule scrapped...?

Strange one IMO.

something which has always p*ssed me off about the away goals rule (although we could benefit next thursday) is how the away goals rule still counts in extra time which aint fair on the home team

like i said, we can benefit from this stupid rule next week but i seem to remember we got turfed out by sparta prague(?) at home a number of years ago because of it

On the other hand the team who are home for the second leg have an extra 30 mins home advantage.

With our current level of defensive play, getting rid of the away goals rule would be biting the hand that feeds us.

While we may have only got through one tie 'officially' on away goals rule, there's no denying that it's been our aim for at least 3 rounds of the Uefa Cup!

Bizarre thread.

We have our best run in Europe since 1972 based on a 4-5-1 system that strangles the offensive side of our opponents' gameplan and then uses the away goal rule to our advantage - we do this so successfully that we are 90 minutes away from a European Final - and on the back of that we have RFC fans wanting the away goal rule scrapped...?

Strange one IMO.

We're only happy when we're moaning. Had you forgotten that?

I think you are thinking of Zizkov mate, in 2002-03 when we got knocked out in the first round of Europe and went on to win the treble. We got beaten 2-0 away and beat them 2-0 after 90 mins at Ibrox and lost on away goals after extra time as we both scored one more goal.

I actually like the away goals rule as it certainly does create more attacking play from the away team in these two-legged games. You cannot take Rangers as an example as this run has been the exception rather than the norm around Europe in this or any other season. The problem might come if we win the trophy and teams across Europe wake up and see how we got through 6 rounds of knock out football with minimal home leg attacking and it gets replicated across Europe in the next few years. But I think this has just been an exceptional run against the right teams for this system to work.

I would not want to go back to the old system where every team going away from home always just defended and tried not to get beaten by more than 1-0 and then in the 2nd leg a complete turnaround.

If you have any ideas of how to fairly settle a tie in the event of scores level after the two 90 minutes, lets hear them.

If the away goal rule was scrapped, they would be no point for us to get to the Knock out stages we don't have the quality to go and Attack teams!

AWAY GOAL RULE LOYAL :rangers:

No, we should have the quality and ability to go attack teams!

Yeah we should have the Quality,But we don't!!!

Hopefully that chances next season :rangers:

It certainly levels things out a bit and allows teams without the same financial clout to still compete. I don't think we would be where we are now without it.

As for the fact we've only won one game because of the rule this year, we've won a lot because the rule exists and the mindset that it produces.

I think, overall, that the game has changed in general as there is so much more at stake financially now than there ever was in the past and folk are more concious of that now.

Bizarre thread.

Strange one IMO.

Thats the whole point of RM haha

:harhar: :harhar: :harhar:

Bizarre thread.

Strange one IMO.

only happy when you're moaning..? - sounds like a nymphomaniac... !

anyway, danny, aye, i know mate, you are right, i dont take it too seriously, but it just seems a bit nuts at times.

Bizarre thread.

Strange one IMO.

Thats the whole point of RM haha

:harhar: :harhar: :harhar:

Oh RM is MUCH worthier than that nvager....!

(sometimes..!)

The younger Bears won't remember how boring 2-legged Euro games had become before the away-goals rule was introduced, but surely "older" Bears can, and would do anything other than return to the days of (mainly Italian) teams playing for 5 minutes over the 2 legs, snatching a goal, then playing with 10 men behind the ball for the remainder. <_<

I know we've been playing very negatively in our home legs, but until you've seen the Italians do it, you've never seen truly negative football.

As for those who say we should have the class of player to compete with the Man. Utds, Barcelonas, Real Madrids, etc...........Dream On Guys! <cr> Until we are playing in the same leagues as these teams week-in and week-out, with the associated TV and sponsorship cash coming in, we have to be content to deal in a different marketplace from them.

We have to use every advantage we possibly can to compete with even the 2nd tier of European teams, and that includes the away-goals rule.

I think you are thinking of Zizkov mate, in 2002-03 when we got knocked out in the first round of Europe and went on to win the treble. We got beaten 2-0 away and beat them 2-0 after 90 mins at Ibrox and lost on away goals after extra time as we both scored one more goal.

We did the same at Sporting Club the year we won the ECWC. We won 3-2 at home and went into extra-time after losing 3-2 over there. We then both scored again to make it 4-3, so we went through on away goals (after 'losing' the famous unnecessary penalty shoot-out).

Come to think of it...there can't be many teams who have won on the away goals rule after conceding two in the home leg.

Bizarre thread.

Strange one IMO.

dont you understand i am on about fans watching good attacking football, how many times has that happened this season, but each to their own, plus i said a rethink but you have twisted the words.

Bizarre thread.

Strange one IMO.

dont you understand i am on about fans watching good attacking football, how many times has that happened this season, but each to their own, plus i said a rethink but you have twisted the words.

minstral i wasnt having a go at you personally mate - i was just expressing my opinion on what i'd picked up to be the general point of the thread as made by several posters all of whom have a viewpoint as valid as mine - anyway, no offence intended.

I'd like to see it scrapped (next season :P) ... even for a season in the uefa cup... would make the uefa cup more exciting to watch when your team isn't in it.

Champs league can say the way it is, and use uefa as a testing ground.

i would go further and suggest the inter-toto as an initial test

Bizarre thread.

Strange one IMO.

minstral i wasnt having a go at you personally mate - i was just expressing my opinion on what i'd picked up to be the general point of the thread as made by several posters all of whom have a viewpoint as valid as mine - anyway, no offence intended.

i know mate and you are entitled to your opinion, but i was just want to know what people thought and you are correct, the away goal has helped us but you know me i like attacking football. :lol:

Bizarre thread.

Strange one IMO.

i know mate and you are entitled to your opinion, but i was just want to know what people thought and you are correct, the away goal has helped us but you know me i like attacking football. :lol:

good man. i understand.