Broadfoot's Manchester Diary

Kirk Broadfoot's Manchester Diary - May 13

THE reality of the UEFA Cup final hit me yesterday.

We arrived at Manchester Airport after training at Murray Park and the realisation dawned: I'm now preparing for a European final - a situation beyond my wildest dreams when I signed.

It is just as well I don't listen to all the criticism that has come my way or I would convince myself I'm the worst player in the world. This season has been an education beyond belief. I have always been a confident player and I believe in myself. That belief will never be more important than tomorrow night, if I am fortunate enough to be involved.

advertisementOur golf and country club headquarters are tranquil, not least because we have a room each. It is a welcome change of scenery to the building site that is my new home. I used to stay in a city centre flat in Glasgow but I've resigned myself to the fact that I am a home bird. I've moved back to Ayrshire to be close to my mum and dad, Marilyn and Jack. They have been a great help already, right down to making my dinner for me.

I'm hopeless with DIY, so I've recruited one of my mates to build my new coffee table and rig-up my TVs. I sorted him out for tickets and even helped hold a table leg here or there so he can't complain. The delivery guy was not so lucky. He was a Rangers fan and, understandably, enquired about the possibility . . . you know the answer.

The number of requests has been frightening but the important thing is the family got their tickets: about 20 of the Broadfoot clan will be descending on the City of Manchester stadium tomorrow and it will be my proudest moment in football.

Preparations will begin in earnest today. We left the game on Saturday with two DVDs of Zenit's recent games. I haven't watched them start to finish yet but I saw enough to realise that Andrei Arshavn, their best player, has a tendency to drift on to the left wing quite a bit. Typical. To be honest, I don't like watching DVDs too much because you can get overawed. I know Arshavn is a quality player but there is no point in me convincing myself he is a world beater. I like the challenge to be honest and there have been plenty of them thrown my way this season, not least Adrian Mutu in the semi-final.

Fortunately, since we have individual rooms at the hotel, I don't need to put up with Boydy more than is necessary. Since moving back home, I am his designated driver.

I knew him before but we are really close now and stay five minutes away from each other. Together, we torment the boys, most recently Charlie Adam. He is an easy wind-up and I pretended to be Sarah, the Avon lady, trying to sell him some of my finest products. It was quite convincing.

I will need to get a new sim card if we are to keep it up because they are starting to catch on to us. It has been quite easy to pass the time so far down here. We went out to an Italian restaurant as a team, I think it was Ally McCoist's recommendation, and we were able to relax and unwind. Food is my main superstition, believe it or not.

I am specific about what I eat and if we win and I play well, I keep to it. I'm on a diet of beans and scrambled egg just now - all good protein - but I am nothing compared to the Eggman, Steven Whittaker. I think he must have his own barn.

I also like my sleep. It's one of the many things I have learned from my mentor, Andy Millen. I am a light sleeper at night but it is part of my routine to go for an afternoon siesta when I get back from training. It has helped me a lot this season, especially with so many games in the run-in.

I had my usual shut-eye after I gave my thumbs some exercise on the PlayStation 3.

We split into teams for Pro Evolution Soccer IV but it gets really competitive when we play Super Mario Kart on the Nintendo DS. We hook all our computers up with Bluetooth and race each other. Yesterday, myself, Boydy, Steven Smith and Lee McCulloch took on Burkey, Steven Naismith, the Eggman and Kevin Thomson. They won by a point but cheated and turned their computers off.

The serious stuff starts today but I also have to think about my responsibilities as dressing room DJ. I'm proud of the fact my iPod has been chosen to get the boys up before the match.

I like RnB but it's my dance tunes that won me the job. This will be one of the most important tracklists I have had to compile. Not that we will need any extra motivation for what lies ahead . . .

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/football/...iary_May_13.php

Are Broadfoot and Boyd, both Irvine boys or Killie? I know they are both Irvine born, but is that where they lived/live? (I'm an Irvinite as well).

Very light-hearted, but it's good to see what the mood is like within the camp, and hear the personal feelings of one of the players, especially one who comes in for harsh criticism at times. Although it is also valid quite often.

Together, we torment the boys, most recently Charlie Adam. He is an easy wind-up and I pretended to be Sarah, the Avon lady, trying to sell him some of my finest products. It was quite convincing.

wat? :blink::lol:

:blink:

The music sounds shite as well

EDIT: to say its a great article :)

"It is just as well I don't listen to all the criticism that has come my way or I would convince myself I'm the worst player in the world."

:( I feel sorry for the guy. There isn't a more honest trier in the squad than Broadfoot. I'm not saying that's enough to make him 'Rangers class', but he's a centre back playing out of position in his first season at the club, and he's trying his best to adapt his game and defend for his life in big matches whilst attempting to offer us another outlet going forward.

Some of the criticism of him has been well OTT. I actually think he's done well. The only 'howler' he's had for me was Sporting at home, and the only crucial goal he's cost us where we dropped points was the Old Firm penalty.

He's a Rangers fan living the dream. We sold a quality right back in Hutton, and Broadfoot has stepped in to the best of his ability. If he's not deemed good enough, well that's for Walter to sort out in the summer. For now, Broadfoot is there to be shot down or backed. On a forum, fine. But the OTT loud moans and groans aimed at him during games need to stop, the phone in moaners need to stop.......etc.

I obviously hope all our players perform on Wednesday, but I would be particularly pleased for Kirk if he managed to put in a good display.

"It is just as well I don't listen to all the criticism that has come my way or I would convince myself I'm the worst player in the world."

Here here, well aimed parthian shot at the snipers. Good read (tu)

:( I feel sorry for the guy. There isn't a more honest trier in the squad than Broadfoot. I'm not saying that's enough to make him 'Rangers class', but he's a centre back playing out of position in his first season at the club, and he's trying his best to adapt his game and defend for his life in big matches whilst attempting to offer us another outlet going forward.

Some of the criticism of him has been well OTT. I actually think he's done well. The only 'howler' he's had for me was Sporting at home, and the only crucial goal he's cost us where we dropped points was the Old Firm penalty.

He's a Rangers fan living the dream. We sold a quality right back in Hutton, and Broadfoot has stepped in to the best of his ability. If he's not deemed good enough, well that's for Walter to sort out in the summer. For now, Broadfoot is there to be shot down or backed. On a forum, fine. But the OTT loud moans and groans aimed at him during games need to stop, the phone in moaners need to stop.......etc.

I obviously hope all our players perform on Wednesday, but I would be particularly pleased for Kirk if he managed to put in a good display.

Well said, you can't fault the big man for effort, he always puts in a right good shift geting up and down the park. Give him some support.

definetly hope he stays next season. maybe not to start every game but as cover for right back and centre half. always guarenteed that he'l give 100% and hes a rangers man.

good to hear theres good banter between the squad, learning most of it form coisty no doubt.

I agree 100% ScotBear! (tu) And if Walter decides he's right for the same role next season he'll have my full backing then too.

Liked the article too, looks like the squad is nicely relaxed. :)

Went into the topic not likeing him, but not dislikeing him.

Came out likeing him.

After this read it provs how much he loves :rangers: and that's good enough for me.

Would rather have him any day than someone just playing for money

PRIDE PASSION BELIEF this guys got all of them

A great read. Here is a man who talks from the heart.

Big Kirk will be up against Arshavin at times, I dont envy him with that. However, Kirk has passion and a drive that I see and I'll be screaming for him and the team like the rest of us.

Good luck in the game big man :rangers:

SARAH THE FUCKIN AVON LADY????????????????

Does Kirk have a burd?????

He has a hard task tomorrow night and for all i don't rate the big man maybe his heart and love for the Bears will get him through.........good luck.

Reading that, it has convinced me that he, like so many others in the squad have the heart to win on Wednesday.

Kirk isn't the greatest player, no one could say otherwise, he replaced one of the best right backs we've ever had & done a competant job but he has a desire & a passion for the club that matches any player in the past.

The desire seems to be prevelant throughout the team & it is that heater, hunger, drive ... whatever you would call it that can & will carry the team over the line on Wednesday night.

Are Broadfoot and Boyd, both Irvine boys or Killie? I know they are both Irvine born, but is that where they lived/live? (I'm an Irvinite as well).

Very light-hearted, but it's good to see what the mood is like within the camp, and hear the personal feelings of one of the players, especially one who comes in for harsh criticism at times. Although it is also valid quite often.

Big Kirk stays in Drongan (the "Larkhall of Ayrshire") and went to Auchinleck Academy so he's in safe surroundings...good to see he's still got his heid screwed on staying near his mammy and family. Boydy went to school in Ayr...both tough boys! Not sure how many marauding runs we'll see off Broadfoot but as long as Arse Shavin is in his back pocket il be happy.

All the best lads,

Wearrapeepel!

How ye doin there, just a wee note tae say, I wiz born in d central, brot up in Kilwinning, now stay in Dublin last few years!

Nice tae see somebody on close tae hame! When ye move away, ye appreciate d whole o Ayrshire!

Wits ye'r local, I go drinkin in Irvine when Im back, ma man's fae there!