Build the team around these guys

Danny

The old adage goes that you build the system around the players you have. Means you are playing to your personnels' strengths.

As Andy Townsend put it about us - Smith did it the other way around; he fitted the players around the system.

Next season has to see an end to that.

We have 5 distinct pieces of real quality in the team:

Alan McGregor, Carlos Cuellar, Kevin Thomson, DaMarcus Beasley and Kris Boyd.

These guys form the spine of the team and are genuinely cuts above your ordinary player.

Build the team AROUND them and play to THEIR strengths and we might see a better and more successful brand of football next year.

As for Ferguson, currently I think the jury's out regarding his form. He needs to get 100% fit and stop being plagued by that damn ankle problem - a Ferguson at his best is a fine prospect.

You're right Danny, that is a fine spine to the side and we need to compliment that with a few more players of quality.

Another centre-half, a genuine creative midfielder and another striker who stays fit and is mentally sound would be ideal. We still have a squad of some decent players so just need to ensure we move on the non-contributors and bring in players who can feature.

As for Barry Ferguson, I hope we've not seen the best of him but his form this season (injury or not) has not been good enough.

I think John Fleck will be a key player for us next season.

The old adage goes that you build the system around the players you have. Means you are playing to your personnels' strengths.

As Andy Townsend put it about us - Smith did it the other way around; he fitted the players around the system.

These guys form the spine of the team and are genuinely cuts above your ordinary player.

Build the team AROUND them and play to THEIR strengths and we might see a better and more successful brand of football next year.

As for Ferguson, currently I think the jury's out regarding his form. He needs to get 100% fit and stop being plagued by that damn ankle problem - a Ferguson at his best is a fine prospect.

you ken what I am a massive barry fan and think he is great passer and dictates play but I agree with this lets hope the surgery works and ends this occuring ankle problem.

(tu) to ALL of that

Only Cuellar is truelly world class the rest are good. We can just about afford one more world class player or 5 good ones, I see Walter taking the latter option. I honestly don't think Celtic have one single world class player. Naka aint it and neither is the wee Oirish titw*nk. One or two clever moves by Walter and we could be in a right good position. Boyd is better than Skippy. Alexander and MacGregor are both better than Boruc. Old man Weir beats most of their defense. Thommo was a better buy than Broon. Our Midfield is more defense than attack, that's our problem right there. DMB goes some way to addressing that but all he needs is a sneeze and he's out. We need fast and intelligent midfield. Barry needs a good long rest maybe, or something else, I dunno. Buffel is too slight. The only thing that'll bring a speedy and intelligent world class player to Ibrox is European football and plenty of moolah. Unless someone knows a Scottish player to fit the bill? We really should have kept Hutton an aw!

Strachan paid well over the odds for Riordan, Broon, Jan Van Frankenstein, silly money for Thomas 'Unwanted' Graveson, and no-one would go for these guys.

Would anyone take Samaras? I don't think so.

Walter wheeled and dealed for Carlos, Thommo, DMB, Cousin, Davis (loan I know) and JCD. and every one of them would sell for a profit. I wouldn't go for Davis now because he has increased his worth. Fulham should hold on to him I think. Cousins might be harder to unload because he's shown himself to be a loonball but he is a physical, decent enough, front man if that's what you're looking for. We will be outbid by Strachan in most of the upcoming bid-wars. Wee silly games of psychological tit-for-tat (They're talking about Arshavin now) I'm happy to wait till the dust settles because WGS has a record of buying hyper inflated gash.

Time and time again, it's only when BF is NOT playing that we all realise the difference he makes week in and out...

No-one in the above 'spine' has his qualities... and DMB is far from having the demonstrated strength to be part of the spine of a team for me...

I agree with the rest, I would add Stevie Davis, keep Novo and BF next year...keep & develop DMB further but look for a powerful midfielder a la Lampard style who can make the runs that will more closely link midfield and attack

Then sort our right back position out that has been weakened since the loss of Hutton.

Dunno if a youngster wil be enough to give us an extra pacey attacking option that could slot well with KB..

Fleck - while a tremendous prospect will NOT be a regular for 2 - 3 years yet.

And a large squad is required for any season where you do well in all competitions.

(IMHO) next year will be the year for Boyd and Adam (Yes - Charlie Adam).

Agree with all of above, would possibly add in Davis's name provided we have a decent RB he doesn't need to babysit every second and of course we manage to get him signed

Re: Davis.

Yes, the January February (and perhaps March) Davis would be a definite addition, but he's not been the same player in the last 2 months.

For me, like Ferguson, my jury is out on Davis for now.

2 things that happen every season and will happen next season as well.

1. the tims will complain everyones ra against them etc etc

2. Barry Ferguson will 'play through the pain barrier' to help rangers win the league.

Every fuckin season we hear about Fergie doing it. if he's injured then don't play him. this season he has been a shadow of the player he was. get him back playin his proper position and get someone else playin attacking midfield

barry needs to go away and get an op if he needs to. IF we have to play the first few months without him, so be it, id rather that than the end few months where he could be 100% fit.

Fleck - while a tremendous prospect will NOT be a regular for 2 - 3 years yet.

And a large squad is required for any season where you do well in all competitions.

(IMHO) next year will be the year for Boyd and Adam (Yes - Charlie Adam).

agree with you, Boyd and Adam will pull there fingers out there asses and get grafting (even though its evident they have off the field I mean on the field)

Adam has a sweet left peg, get him running, get his footballing brain ticking over and we've got a good un, his technique is phenominal the shape he makes when he has a crack and some of his passing is spot on, he just needs to learn when to make the easy pass! Boyd just needs to get a tad sharper, get a bit stronger he has the build use it!!!

I always remeber when we signed Amo and Porrini Murray saying that in Italy they have certain players in the squad called The Untouchables and the 2 new players were now our Untouchables. Not to put too fine a point on it I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM RETURNING TO THIS WAY OF THINKING!

A fully fit Ferguson is one of the best midfielders in Britain and probably our best home-grown player a couple of generations.

I always remeber when we signed Amo and Porrini Murray saying that in Italy they have certain players in the squad called The Untouchables and the 2 new players were now our Untouchables. Not to put too fine a point on it I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE HIM RETURNING TO THIS WAY OF THINKING!

Yes remember that too Thermo - Cuellar should be in that category - he has already stated he wants to stay. I recognise if an outstanding bid came in we would not say no - what we should have done instead of saying we would try hard to keep him....unless you are prepared to offer 20 million dont bother enquiring for Carlos.

Personally I think only Cuellar and McGregor have been a cut above the rest and I'm wary of giving some players some kind of elevated status. I think that kind of thinking has cost us with Ferguson.

Personally I think only Cuellar and McGregor have been a cut above the rest and I'm wary of giving some players some kind of elevated status. I think that kind of thinking has cost us with Ferguson.

(tu) My opinion too, although i think Thomson is 'getting there'.

(tu) My opinion too, although i think Thomson is 'getting there'.

Certainly Thomson's the best of the rest and I'd pick him above all the defensive midfielders we have. I'd only play one in domestic games as well.

A fully fit Ferguson is one of the best midfielders in Britain and probably our best home-grown player a couple of generations.

I agreee with your opinion but would like to see JCD staying for another season... he has done nothing wroung for us this season and I think he just needs some rest and training to get to match fitness....