Buffel "gone to" Brugge, Smith on the transfer window

Not read any of this thread because for some reason you're all discussing Spain, but yes, according to the BBC Buffel is officially no longer a Rangers player.

I am gutted, but I knew it was coming.

Out goes the sunshine, and in comes the rain.

I laugh at anyone who was overjoyed at his departure - yet we're all crying out for creativity.

A dark day for this club when quality leaves and Kenny Miller comes in.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get out of bed on the wrong side today? Am clearly NOT off my head.

I suppose it was all a rumour then?

You can argue its spent badly, then again, if we leave KM out of it for obvious reasons...

KL - spent good money on an up and coming player, with international experience, and youth on his side. - why is this bad?

AV - good record, SPL experience, very little money - again, why bad? I would be much happier him in the squad than Cousin, Lee or even JCD/Buffel, since he has done it before, regularily.

We spent £2mil on naismith, who is obviously for the future, but can do a job if needed, Suchy is being touted highly in the transfer section, again, young, and will cost a couple of bob, Lafferty is the same really. I dont see the problem spending good money on good players, especially young players.

Come on, you don't honestly believe we offered £6m for Carraciolo? :lol:

KL - We can't afford to spend £3.75m on a up and coming player, we need quality just now. He could prove to be a good buy but why weren't any Premiership clubs after him when they snap up any good talent down there?

AV - Looks like he'll be good value but that still leaves £5.5million spent on the other two.

btw, in case anyone gets them confused with Club Bruges - it's a different team.

Cercle are MUCH smaller and have won nigh on hee haw throughout their history.

You're right. We bid 8.

:craphead:

I think Lafferty is an interesting signing, it goes against the other favoured argument about Smith not playing/liking youth

You're right. We bid 8.

I think Lafferty is an interesting signing, it goes against the other favoured argument about Smith not playing/liking youth

Not strictly true - he also signed Gow and Naismith and barely played either.

You're right. We bid 8.

Alan Gow the 25 year old youth player :lol:

You're right. We bid 8.

Alan Gow the 25 year old youth player :lol:

You're aware he was 24 when he joined. That's quite a bit younger than yer JCD's, McCullochs and Weirs, no?

I hate to say this, but some of this negativity is more like the stuff I expect to hear from the opposition.

Too many irrational voices distorting reality just to have a moan. I find it really pathetic and disappointing.

One minute Buffel's not good enough and we should get rid of him. The next minute Walter's fouled up by letting Europe's most gifted attacking midfielder go and is bound to replace him with the poor man's Bob Malcom.

It's bizarre. Staggering, quite frankly.

I hate to say this, but some of this negativity is more like the stuff I expect to hear from the opposition.

Too many irrational voices distorting reality just to have a moan. I find it really pathetic and disappointing.

One minute Buffel's not good enough and we should get rid of him. The next minute Walter's fouled up by letting Europe's most gifted attacking midfielder go and is bound to replace him with the poor man's Bob Malcom.

Being fair in the last 6+ months most postings have praised Buffel and wanted him to play.

Oddly a few of the same people are now delighted he's gone...

Even FIFA have took up the story!

Rangers release Buffel

(AFP) Tuesday 1 July 2008

Print

Email to a friend

Rangers have released Thomas Buffel a year before the end of his contract to allow the Belgian forward a chance to rebuild his career at Cercle Brugge in his homeland.

Buffel joined Rangers in January 2005 for £2.3 million, but after an initially successful spell he became a peripheral figure at Ibrox, partly as a result of a knee injury that required surgery last year.

The 27-year-old has signed a two-year deal with Cercle Brugge.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfoot...ssfeed&att=

Being fair in the last 6+ months most postings have praised Buffel and wanted him to play.

Oddly a few of the same people are now delighted he's gone...

I'd rather he got a game and stayed since I rated him. I'm not "delighted" he's gone, but obviously we weren't going to see him play, so I can accept it's better he's gone.

I don't buy this total garbage that Walter, the man who signed Gazza and Laudrup and got the best out of them, doesn't like flair players. He just likes the to be able to stand up to the rigours of the game like Laudrup and Gascoigne.

That's not uncommon in the modern game. Look at Ronaldo and Ballack, and yes I know we're never gonna sign them, but there's a big market and a long way to go.

You have to wait and see who comes in for the midfield and wide positions.

So he goes for free?

As I said earlier, Buffel goes free while Celtic recieve decent fees like players for Beattie and £1.5mil proposed for Evander Sno.

I do worry about how our club is run at times doh

outlaw, you're chapping on a door that has been triple locked and welded shut.

Some people won't be happy unless they're unhappy. It's a West of Scotland thing. Everything's shite. Let's just moan about it all.

F*ck me, Le Guen got off lightly when you think about it.

I'm surprised no-one assassinated him.

So he goes for free?

As I said earlier, Buffel goes free while Celtic recieve decent fees like players for Beattie and £1.5mil proposed for Evander Sno.

Which greater available bid would you have accepted?

So he goes for free?

Which greater available bid would you have accepted?

Impossible to answer, maybe they see the £17k off the wage bill as payment in itself.

Impossible to answer,

...because there were none, perchance?

maybe they see the £17k off the wage bill as payment in itself.

Aaaaah. Therein lies the answer.

There were no offers because of our flat refusal to play him.

If he'd come in towards the end of last season and given us the spark needed to win the league/UEFA Cup, I bet my right testicle we would have got at least £1m for him. Would that have happened? Who knows.

Still, as we agree on, saving £17k a week can't be bad.

Impossible to answer,

...because there were none, perchance?

maybe they see the £17k off the wage bill as payment in itself.

Aaaaah. Therein lies the answer.

There were no offers because of our flat refusal to play him.

If he'd come in towards the end of last season and given us the spark needed to win the league/UEFA Cup, I bet my right testicle we would have got at least £1m for him. Would that have happened? Who knows.

Still, as we agree on, saving £17k a week can't be bad.

...plus the £250k or £500k we never had to pay.

Nobody is going to be willing to pay a fee for a player who suffered a serious knee injury less than two years ago, has effectively been frozen out for a season, has a year left on his current deal and earns 17k a week.

How would we react if we were going to pay a million pound for a player with a similar story?

I liked Buffel, but truth be told, the time for him to move on has come.

All the best Thomas (tu)