Do Scottish Referees have a bias towards either half of the Old Firm?

papaguy51

Papaguy, you should have a wee commitee who discuss the decisions, even if its only a quick "aye it was awful mate" via pm.

I nominate me for the commitee.

Here Here Good Idea

Wants in commitee (tu)

Great idea, like an 'Unbias RangersMedia Decisions Panel' :lol:

Say...Kev, Foxy, Myself and Davy?

Since this is the brainchild of our wild deliberations?

I want in.

Will you be honest?

Scouts Honour (tu)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. A lot.

But we need to make sure every decision is posted just as it is on the first game because we have to be open to scrutiny - I'd hate debatable decisions to be marked to suit an agenda - and that's not saying anyone does.

It just HAS to be managed and scored fairly or we will look no better than them - if managed correctly this story will spread far and wide. If done poorly with poor blue tinted judgement and bias commentary we'll look like fools.

For that reason, I would like if possible for comments to this thread to be checked by admin before they are posted - this is a world wide forum and we have to ensure what is posted on such a contentious topic is of sufficient quality to ensure we are not embarrassed or ridiculed.

Please.

Of course, I agree totally.

Bias won't happen, I'm one of the most unbias Gers fans you'll meet and so are the other lads that agreed to this.

I know that. What I don't want is a 476 page long (by October) emotionally charged thread discussing the merits of every decision taken. We need to cut this down to the absolute minimum and not allow it to be populated by views from every member. It flies in the face of what RM is about, but this is a unique experiment and one that has to be carried out with the minimum of fuss

This thread can't be allowed to become tainted by emotion and needs to be pre mod.

Good idea. Either that or the original poster or whoever thinks they can be totally unbiased could be a kind of referee. Tricky job though.

Papaguy, you should have a wee commitee who discuss the decisions, even if its only a quick "aye it was awful mate" via pm.

Here Here Good Idea

Wants in commitee (tu)

I want in.

Will you be honest?

Your an asshole!

Honest enough? :cool:

Here Here Good Idea

Wants in commitee (tu)

I want in.

Will you be honest?

Your an asshole!

Honest enough? :cool:

Tut tut.

That's terrible.

this is such a shit idea you cant determine games on referee decisions.If celtic did not get that penalty on sunday they would have pushed for a goal instead of sitting back so how can you say that the referee decisions always have a vital part in the final score.

this is such a shit idea you cant determine games on referee decisions.If celtic did not get that penalty on sunday they would have pushed for a goal instead of sitting back so how can you say that the referee decisions always have a vital part in the final score.

true, good point mate.

some people are just jumping on the bandwagon, incase we lose the league or fall behind early, they will use this as the excuse.

Eddie Shit has refused to change his mind about his dodgy decision so the one match suspension for the 'kirk player stands.

Interesting fact (and probable world record! :rolleyes:) celtc have had 6 opposition players sent off in their last 6 home matches. Yet we all know they will keep up their bias claims because inTIMidation does work.

true, good point mate.

some people are just jumping on the bandwagon, incase we lose the league or fall behind early, they will use this as the excuse.

Shhh.

If you don't like the idea, then please, by my guest to piss off and not bother posting in the thread.

We're not looking for an imbalance.

We'll only look at decisions that were given.

The league table is a bit of fun, but we just want to see if certain refs are culpable of favouring Rangers or Celtic.

Okay, as for decisions like penalties not given, we cant include that as there is no way of knowing if the penalty would've been scored. We can only include penalties wrongly given and goals ruled wrongly in or out.

And as for paranioa, that starts with the presumption that we are looking for an imbalence. I dont buy into all that and as far as I can tell, theres a very good chance of this resulting in proof of no bias. The paranioa argument would assure we're starting with the assumption that there is a bias. Im starting with the assumption that there may or may not be one and that this experiment would give some indication of which it is. Danny, you of all people should know that you cant start an experiment with a bias.

And obviously there no way that this can give a 100% accurate result, but does it really have to? The idea is to see if there is a bias.

Too true (tu)

The league table is just a bit of fun really, but it's all about what referees make the most wrong decisions in favour of either Rangers or Celtic.

Guest Andypendek

Something which I always notice is, when I buy the DVD of the season gone by (haven't done that for a few seasons now but anyway), some of the penalties we get are laughable. I'm certainly not complaining, but I certainly expect to see a few soft penalties for us included by the end of the year.

One which sticks in my mind is Arteta's pen v Dunfermline, I think it was McCann who was 'fouled.' Was he bollocks!

I worry about focussing on the OF only, though. The same day as the dodgy ref v DUFC last season, I think there was an Aberdeen game where the ref had a howler. Not as reported of course, but it shows there's mistakes made every week, in every game. However it is an imaginative and interesting project to while away the long winter.

Something which I always notice is, when I buy the DVD of the season gone by (haven't done that for a few seasons now but anyway), some of the penalties we get are laughable. I'm certainly not complaining, but I certainly expect to see a few soft penalties for us included by the end of the year.

One which sticks in my mind is Arteta's pen v Dunfermline, I think it was McCann who was 'fouled.' Was he bollocks!

I worry about focussing on the OF only, though. The same day as the dodgy ref v DUFC last season, I think there was an Aberdeen game where the ref had a howler. Not as reported of course, but it shows there's mistakes made every week, in every game. However it is an imaginative and interesting project to while away the long winter.

its hard for such a small group of guys with other things to do to watch every decision in every spl game and then present a fully adjusted league table.

The OF will win that many games fairly that they'll always be the top 2, so the rest don't really matter.

Guest Andypendek

That I do agree with, Iain.

And Kev's quite right, it would be impractical (and, frankly, boring) to watch all the pishy wee teams play each other as well.

2 straightforward decisions to mull over today, I feel.

I think i'd want a pen for the handball if it had been the other way round, but it was probably ball to hand. The foul on mhiller was a stick-on tho so even if they'd got the pen it wouldn't have affected the result. 3 points, no dubiety IMO.

Here Here Good Idea

Wants in commitee (tu)

I want in. I reckon they got up to a high twenties points swing out of refs last year and I was judging objectively.

Guest Andypendek

And anyway, there has to be intent to play the ball which there certainly wasn't. If Magic meant to stop that with his hand he should take the gloves from McGregor right now.

I actually thought it was a good shout looking at it again.

Going by the experiment rules, a scored pen would have meant a 2-1 win, so no change in result.

Should we mention it on the experiment post, with (Possible) next to it.

And Oleg, you definitely be involved!

They might not have scored the pen! We cant award them the goal just incase they scored it! Dismissed penalty claims cant be included in this experiment

Yeah, you're right.

It would never work.

Only wrong decisions directly in FAVOUR of either Rangers or Celtic.