Why do Celtic fans call us Huns?

kasabian101

isn't it something to do with us being heathens or something? I remember when we were moving from Germany ...were in Stanstead airport...and my son had on a Gers top he was just a wee kid and had always lived in Germany. A wee Celtic boy pointed at my son and said look Dad a h**....my boy only spoke german at the time but some how had learned to say fuck off as he though it was an insult to him from the Celtic wean for his speaking german :cool:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oftened have this debate with a few sellick freinds of mine.

They call us h*** on the grounds that we are loyal to the queen, who effectivly has German blood.

Love the arguement about the irish republicans harbouring the Germans during the WWII though...

Will be using that tomo night, any more amo?

the version my dad and a few others told me was this ......

we refered to the timmies as h*** in the period after the war due to their support of the Germans/Nazis during the WW's ....

somewhere along the line they switched the term h*** over to us due to our allegiance to the Queen and the fact the Royal Family actually has German ancestory.

No idea if this is right though

i'm led to believe this is the correct reason as to why we're refered to as h*** .Also the term Tim is a reference to

an early roman catholic saint - saint Timothy.

I think they call us h*** because we support the Queen, who is a descendant of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (Belgian royal family is of that House by the way), a German royal bloodline.

Ridiculous ofcourse, but hey we ARE talking about timmy.

edit: doh, should have looked up

we refered to the timmies as h*** in the period after the war due to their support of the Germans/Nazis during the WW's ....

somewhere along the line they switched the term h*** over to us due to our allegiance to the Queen and the fact the Royal Family actually has German ancestory.

i'm led to believe this is the correct reason as to why we're refered to as h*** .Also the term Tim is a reference to

Tim comes from a Glasgow gang - the Tim Malloys.

Their main rivals were The Billy Boys, so called because their leader's name was Billy Fullerton.

I reckon we started calling them 'h***' during WW1 when the fenians staged an uprising trying to take advantage of the UK being at war in Europe.

At the time 'h**' was a widely used insult.

Over the years, and certainly as late as the 1960s it was a general insult, but often aimed specifically at them.

But it was falling out of use when a journalist (I think it was Ian Archer) used it to describe us after one of the 'incidents' in the 1970s (possibly Villa Park, maybe Old Trafford), and gradually it came to be widely applied to us.

Tim comes from a Glasgow gang - the Tim Malloys.

Their main rivals were The Billy Boys, so called because their leader's name was Billy Fullerton.

I reckon we started calling them 'h***' during WW1 when the fenians staged an uprising trying to take advantage of the UK being at war in Europe.

At the time 'h**' was a widely used insult.

Over the years, and certainly as late as the 1960s it was a general insult, but often aimed specifically at them.

But it was falling out of use when a journalist (I think it was Ian Archer) used it to describe us after one of the 'incidents' in the 1970s (possibly Villa Park, maybe Old Trafford), and gradually it came to be widely applied to us.

I hate when Rangers fans call them Timmys it sounds very affectionate and I believe they enjoy it :angry2:

It's them trying to call us fascist.

However, their choice of word is laughable seeing as they are the ones who worship a country who harboured the real h***, fuelled their U-Boats and made sure the lights in the Tatty Land were left on overnight to guide the German Bombers into Britain.

So if anyone is a h** it is one who supports the Tatty Land.

LoL. Yep.

Dunno why they spout that rubbish.

there was a big topic about us being called h*** and it asked if any of us took offence.

Mixed views on it, some felt strongly against it, some it didnt bother.

Personally it doesnt bother me, but thats me and i respect other peoples views that it bother them.

I remember a song we used to sing where they were the h**, anyone remember the lines....'If I had a Tommy Gun, I'd shoot every .......... h**'

No pope, priests or holy water.

No Home Rule for Ireland.

If I had a Tommy Gun,

I'd shoot every fenian h**,

Just for walking on The Queen's Highway.

Probably best not to revive that one ;)

I always thought we were sining every 'fenians son' :unsure:

I remember a song we used to sing where they were the h**, anyone remember the lines....'If I had a Tommy Gun, I'd shoot every .......... h**'

If I had a Tommy Gun,

Nice one :D

Do you sing 'No Chapels throw sand in my eyes' as well?

I guess it doesn't really matter where the word came from the only thing that matters is the meaning.

h** = Rangers supporter/Protestant

Tim = Celtic supporter

The only difference between the two words is when used in a derogatory manner one is sectarian and the other is not.

Completely incorrect. The equivalent to the F word they are so offended by is the H word we are so offended by. Please do not compare the word Tim as an Antonym for h**.

Please see the following thread:

http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?...9&hl=fenien

I guess it doesn't really matter where the word came from the only thing that matters is the meaning.

Tim = Celtic supporter

The only difference between the two words is when used in a derogatory manner one is sectarian and the other is not.

Completely incorrect. The equivalent to the F word they are so offended by is the H word we are so offended by. Please do not compare the word Tim as an Antonym for h**.

I don't agree, fenian and h** are not comparable, because fenian is their own word, h** has been applied to us against our will.

The equivalent to h** is Tarrier or Taig (admin please don't edit this).

Sorry I meant the equivalent in terms of offensiveness. Calling a Tim a Tim is unoffensive.

They are offended by the F word. We are offended by the H word.

To be called a h** us completely unacceptable.

(tu)

I misunderstood the comparison you were making.

Tim = Celtic supporter

I don't agree, fenian and h** are not comparable, because fenian is their own word, h** has been applied to us against our will.

The equivalent to h** is Tarrier or Taig (admin please don't edit this).

I know a few Irish lads and they they the same! according to them Fenian is not in anyway sectarian as they themselves came up with the name and are in fact very proud to be refered to as fenians! maybe we should get the plastic paddys a few history books to learn about there own "heritage" ..... on the other hand - facts and tims???

The likes of Nil By Mouth, Glasgow education officials and the PSNI will confirm that "h**" is sectarian. You see "Kill All h***" painted on walls in Northern Ireland referring to Protestants, with the equivalent being "Kill All Taigs".

I thought tims came from a gang in the East end of Glasgow who were Irish and their leader was called Tim Malloy.

I thought tims came from a gang in the East end of Glasgow who were Irish and their leader was called Tim Malloy.

It did.

Tim = Celtic supporter

Wrong.

Celtic fans refer to themselves as Tims. We don't refer to ourselves as h***. And we most certainly do not like being referred to as such.

See the Admin on here... perhaps they may want to include words that OFFEND US (like h**) instead of words that offend those tramps (Like TA*G) first and foremost.

Anyone who calls me a h** gets a warning never to use that word in my presence again... failing to heid that warning leads to a smack in the mouth. I doubt Timmy gets so offended over the word Tim.

Can't quite believe what I'm seeing with this swear filter on here now. Shocking.

i should hope not their club shop has Tim Land emblazoned on their plastic bags.

Tim = Celtic supporter

Wrong.

Celtic fans refer to themselves as Tims. We don't refer to ourselves as h***. And we most certainly do not like being referred to as such.

See the Admin on here... perhaps they may want to include words that OFFEND US (like h**) instead of words that offend those tramps (Like TA*G) first and foremost.

Anyone who calls me a h** gets a warning never to use that word in my presence again... failing to heid that warning leads to a smack in the mouth. I doubt Timmy gets so offended over the word Tim.

Can't quite believe what I'm seeing with this swear filter on here now. Shocking.

We know they call themselves Tims and we do not calls ourselves h**, I am curious however, why are you offended when someone calls you a h**?

I can't say I'm overly bothered, maybe alittle disturbed as they might be calling me a Protestant which I am not but whenever someone has called me it I simply correct them and tell them I am a Rangers supporter and religion has nothing to do with that.

Why am I offended when someone calls me a h**?

Have a word with yourself.

If I had a Tommy Gun,

Nice one :D

Do you sing 'No Chapels throw sand in my eyes' as well?

I like that!! :bouncy: