Alex Ferguson at Rangers

McBoyd

My dad never forgave him for his efforts (lack thereof) in the 1969 SFA final.

I think I'm right in saying he was our top scorer the year before(?) but by all accounts he was not of the standard of those who preceeded and succeeded him.

I think I'm right in saying he was our top scorer the year before(?) but by all accounts he was not of the standard of those who preceeded and succeeded him.

I think fergie still holds a grudge to this day against us doesnt he? :unsure:

For ridding of him..

For ridding of him..

Well some of us still hold a grudge against him.

Back in the day footie was simpler.

He was the Big #9

The Big #9 marked the Big #5 at a corner.

He didn't in the '69 Final, we lost a goal in the first few minutes and we were humiliated 4-0.

Fuck him.

He was shite.

If only Colin Stein hadn't been suspended. FKN SFA :angry2:

For ridding of him..

He was very complimentary about us in the match programme when we played them at Old Trafford in the CL, but I've read a lot of other things over the years, and his book is a mixed bag - he is very critical of Willie Allison, who has passed on and could not reply, but also quite complimentary about the Club and other individuals, past and closer to present.

Honest player, a lot more effort than talent, direct old fashioned centre forward who lacked balance and composure.

Basically he was not really up the the standard of our club even if it was the wrong time to be with us in terms of success. Like many others at that time he was a knee jerk panic buy by a team desperate for a change of fortune, he found his level with Falkirk.

He was abrahm lincin ! Another panic buy at the time. He was abysmal culminating in that '69 final only gettin a game cause Colin Stein was banned. During the final his claim to fame was giving Murdoch a black eye, now to some fans that might earn him a medal but Murdoch was not a hard man in fact although I hate to admit it he was a bit of a player. The guys Ferguson should have picked on were the likes of Brogan or Auld the hatchet men of the bheggars but Ferguson being the political animal that he is picks his target, so Murdoch was the weaker option and we got beat 4-0. Ferguson eventually got the sack more or less for calling Manager Davie White a poof in the dressing room in front of everybody, he creeped out the back door to sign fo Falkirk in the latter end of '69. He was a dog then and he's a dog now ! :sherlock:

If only Colin Stein hadn't been suspended. FKN SFA :angry2:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny you should mention CS and SAF in the same post. I was at the game at Ibrox when CS was still at Hibs and AF war playing at Gers. Both were uncompromising players and they clashed over at the touch line. Both were sent off. I was also at the ,69 cup final when Fergie disobeyed instructions and cost us a goal in the first few minutes. Fergie had a bit of a reputation then but was never a top class player. Thats usually the way, isn,t it, the best players rarely make the best managers.

Bad news that animosity crept in as he'd have been the best manager we'd ever had in the modern game.

Would i be right in saying that both he and Jim McLean knocked us back before we hired Jock Wallace?

By all accounts, i've heard that Sir Alex hid behind his wife religion at Rangers and was just a cretin in general.

Most who watched him play would say he was a honest player who worked hard and had an eye for goal.

Uncompromising is the word that comes to mind. I hold no grudge against him.

honest, i take it you mean hard worker,he was a man you didnt want behind you at corners ,he reportedly didnt get on with dave white who had a squeeky nasel voice and saf was caught taking the piss

Bad news that animosity crept in as he'd have been the best manager we'd ever had in the modern game.

Would i be right in saying that both he and Jim McLean knocked us back before we hired Jock Wallace?

By all accounts, i've heard that Sir Alex hid behind his wife religion at Rangers and was just a cretin in general.

True. Both knocked us back. Both were 'difficult' people at the best of times but I suppose that's what made them the winners they were.

Not the accounts I've heard. Certainly not Ferguson's own account in his autobiography.

Don't really see why anyones bothered about whether he was a mediocre player - he's a fantastic manager. We all know that ability as a player is unrelated to ability as a manager. As most people are mediocre players (at best) it is inevitable that the majority of managers were pretty ordinary players