The Shameful Media Campaign Against Burley & Smith

contacts

Ever since Gordon Smith was appointed we have had consistent digs from certain media folks that were not happy with his appointment. Jim Traynor managed to write a two page spread last week criticising a 30 min documentary about Gordon Smith. He has been joined by Keevins, Provan, Martin, Leckie and McNee who all attack Smith all because he is a Rangers man.

They have criticised his every decision, they have printed and spoken lies just to have digs at him. Peter Martin (Mcguire) even demanded that Smith step down because he defended Rangers fans in a book last year. This was written before he even started working with the SFA.

Fortunately Gordon just ignored them but like the petty minded journalists they are they have now decided to attack Burley. One competitive game and they are all on the attack. When was the last time you have seen a manager get one game before people are calling for his head.

The whole episode is a disgrace and it makes me sick that these guys get away with it. A small country like ours should be encouraging people to pull together but these fuds just want to tear things apart and get their own favourites a job. The whole thing makes me sick.

Ever since Gordon Smith was appointed we have had consistent digs from certain media folks that were not happy with his appointment. Jim Traynor managed to write a two page spread last week criticising a 30 min documentary about Gordon Smith. He has been joined by Keevins, Provan, Martin, Leckie and McNee who all attack Smith all because he is a Rangers man.

They have criticised his every decision, they have printed and spoken lies just to have digs at him. Peter Martin (Mcguire) even demanded that Smith step down because he defended Rangers fans in a book last year. This was written before he even started working with the SFA.

Fortunately Gordon just ignored them but like the petty minded journalists they are they have now decided to attack Burley. One competitive game and they are all on the attack. When was the last time you have seen a manager get one game before people are calling for his head.

The whole episode is a disgrace and it makes me sick that these guys get away with it. A small country like ours should be encouraging people to pull together but these fuds just want to tear things apart and get their own favourites a job. The whole thing makes me sick.

he came in with good ideas,but polotics and being the new boy at uefa are making him look weak,he must start looking after scottish football,and since the refs are by and large,poor,he should insist on video evidence,no matter what uefa say,for the good of OUR game,he will be respected for it.

Guest Andypendek

I think the media reaction to the Macedonia game is more to do with following the example set by the English media (turnips and Sven and so on) rather than any great desire to drive Smith from office. Why they would want to go down that road is beyond me, but then many aspects of our press and broadcast media are beyond me.

Put it this way - any country which puts forward James Traynor as it's main voice of football is struggling. I mean no personal offence to the fella as I don't know him and never will, I'm sure he's a nice man at Xmas. However, his constant desire to stir controversy for the sake of a few extra sales or a few extra calls is the perfect demonstration of all that is wrong in this area.

Agreed Andy - Traynor's a shit stirring spoon of the lowest order.

I don't think it's anti-rangers - i just think guys like traynor dont like Smith or Burley because they are well spoken individuals and perhaps not quite as gruff or "rough" as the likes of traynor et al are used to.

.....If you get my meaning.

http://www.homosexuallovelies.com/in-the-a...s.php/ooooohhhh!

The best way for the partisan and bitter criticism of Smith to fade away would be if Burley looked like he was suited to the job.

Let's be blunt here - Scotland has NEVER failed to beat Iceland in a senior match.

So nothing but a win tomorrow will do.

And Burley has to consider if picking so many out-of-form team-mates is really something he wants to repeat.

Smith knew he'd be under pressure from his old 'pals' and for all much of it is bitter invective from people with less football knowledge than a snail, the Chief Executive will come under criticism if the national team flounders.

No matter what he does Smudger will be better than that wanker Jim Farry or the legendary Ernie McNee or just about any of the previous encumbants. Although he is head honcho his hands are to an extent tied by Uefa and FIfa. He is all for video evidence where Fifa are not. Also he wanted a lot of the Scotland qualifying fixtures to be different but was railroaded into what we have by the other group members.

Its a thankless task as he cant please everyone , and the tattie munchers will never like him as he is one of the people!

If you watched the documentary you'll know how surprised Smith was when Traynor tried to stitch him up live on radio. He (Smith) actually said afterwards that he had thought he was "among friends" but he came away from the studio that day knowing that no journos will ever put friendship before a good story, no matter how false that story is.

Gordon Smith is a very intelligent man, but he's been a little naive in the past. He knows better now and will handle Traynor, McNee and the rest.

I don't think Smudger has done himself any favours by appointing Burley because I just can't see any leadership qualities in him at all. Anyway, if Gordon didn't know when he took the job how much the appointment of a Rangers man would stick in the craw of timmy and their supporters in the mhedia he does now

And you forgot to mention Burley is getting it also because he is a bluenose, they are an absolute disgrace and they have people wrapped round their wee fingers

The bit that gets me is some think they are powerful although they are just individuals who take advantage of stupid Scottish football fans

Jim Traynor managed to write a two page spread last week criticising a 30 min documentary about Gordon Smith. He has been joined by Keevins, Provan, Martin, Leckie and McNee who all attack Smith all because he is a Rangers man.

I can't think of an SFA exec who hasn't been hammered by the press from time to time.

Jim Traynor managed to write a two page spread last week criticising a 30 min documentary about Gordon Smith. He has been joined by Keevins, Provan, Martin, Leckie and McNee who all attack Smith all because he is a Rangers man.

I can't think of an SFA exec who hasn't been hammered by the press from time to time.

I wish you would all stop using the term the press, yes they do work for the press but they are just individuals who wet themselves over stirring things up

I wish you would all stop using the term the press, yes they do work for the press but they are just individuals who wet themselves over stirring things up

You've got a point here, "press" seems like conferring a status on them they don't deserve. (tu)

FFS :mutley:

Newspapers, media, publications, press, periodicals, daily's, tabloids - what fucking difference does it make?

You've got a point here, "press" seems like conferring a status on them they don't deserve. (tu)

Ah welcome to my way of thinking :D

Berti?

tbf, I've not read any of these media attacks on Smith, but his handling of the Burley affair was inept at best:

He stole the man's thunder at the unveiling conference when he started to attack the media regarding their coverage of the selection process, and was entirely unable to justify why he'd hijacked Burley on Radio 1 Sportsound when asked why he'd done that.

When he was questioned about Davies he effectively called the man a liar, by stating Davies' claim that he'd withdrawn from the shortlist was not true and that he (Smith) and the SFA had removed him instead.

Just because he's 'a Rangers man' doesn't make him immune to criticism.

Taylor got it bad, Farry got it bad - why is it that because Smith is a Rangers man the media attacks are about his 'allegiances' rather than the fact he might actually be making a pig's ear of the job like the previous 2?

Berti?

tbf, I've not read any of these media attacks on Smith, but his handling of the Burley affair was inept at best:

He stole the man's thunder at the unveiling conference when he started to attack the media regarding their coverage of the selection process, and was entirely unable to justify why he'd hijacked Burley on Radio 1 Sportsound when asked why he'd done that.

When he was questioned about Davies he effectively called the man a liar, by stating Davies' claim that he'd withdrawn from the shortlist was not true and that he (Smith) and the SFA had removed him instead.

Just because he's 'a Rangers man' doesn't make him immune to criticism.

Taylor got it bad, Farry got it bad - why is it that because Smith is a Rangers man the media attacks are about his 'allegiances' rather than the fact he might actually be making a pig's ear of the job like the previous 2?

Danny, i agree with you on the Burley press conference and indeed the whole process with the appointment of the manager. It WAS a complete shambles from start to finish. Im not conviced by the "Its cause he played for us" paranoia thats getting thrown about though and like you i havent seen, other than Traynor the cock, any real campaign going on Smith.

Im sure if the heat is turned on, he will go into the drawer and pull out the SFA accounts from Season 2006/07 which shows turnover of £19 million followed by his first year in charge accounts showing turnover of £25 million, the most any CEO has brought in whilst being in office. Once they are bored reading those documents, he will go back to the cabinet and produce the £27 million TV contract signed in 2004 under the previous man, then the £60 million TV contract signed by him in 2008.

And to think that Timmy questioned his business credentials :mutley:

Danny, i agree with you on the Burley press conference and indeed the whole process with the appointment of the manager. It WAS a complete shambles from start to finish. Im not conviced by the "Its cause he played for us" paranoia thats getting thrown about though and like you i havent seen, other than Traynor the cock, any real campaign going on Smith.

I dunno what it is about Traynor - he's actually a good broadcaster tbh, but once he writes for his paper, his output turns into tabloid tattle and as sensationalistic as all the rest of the red top garbage.

Im sure if the heat is turned on, he will go into the drawer and pull out the SFA accounts from Season 2006/07 which shows turnover of £19 million followed by his first year in charge accounts showing turnover of £25 million, the most any CEO has brought in whilst being in office. Once they are bored reading those documents, he will go back to the cabinet and produce the £27 million TV contract signed in 2004 under the previous man, then the £60 million TV contract signed by him in 2008.

And to think that Timmy questioned his business credentials :mutley:

I really don't have the slightest idea of the numbers, and if he's doing a great job in that respect then fair play to the man. I have absolutely nothing against him - he was a good pundit. I do think though that in his new position he's not conducted himself with the same pedigree he once had - shown signs of weakness, inconsistency and hypocrisy. But such a position would force the same out of Mother Theresa tbh.

I actually interviewed Smith as part of my research for my dissertation at uni 3 years ago. He was an absolute gent, incredibly helpful, really intelligent and a deep and pregressive thinker about the game. But there's no doubt he has some big weaknesses which are really coming to fore. He's a really indignant guy and doesn't take criticism at all well (in fact, if you read his autobiography you'll realise he has some fairly large chips on his shoulders from as far back as the 70s!). Added to that, he's also a very impulsive speaker, liable to blurt out exactly what he feels because he's passionate and proud of his football. I think he's a great choice for Chief Exec, as I believe people who've played and managed in the game should head our organisations. He'll always be indignant, but if he really starts to watch what he says, then I think he could be a huge success and in the job for a number of years.

The timmy online world has stuck the boot into Smith from day one. If you're a regular on NewsNow-Scottish Premier League feed then you get them all and there can be no doubt it's a celtc minded campaign when 99% of the anti Smith articles come from them. Levein getting in on the act is nothing more than a bit of revenge from speccy face.

No other set of fans gets stuck into him for anything and everything like timothy does. They try and dress it up as genuine concerns etc but they're as transparent as a see through shit.

This campaign gets into the mind and tactics of timmy. Whine, moan, complain, invent until they get their own way. They're like children in that respect. You could drop the 're and that last sentence would still be true! :craphead: