Why dont you go home ?

Gazzas_Flute

this is fucking abysmal, never watching that shitey biased news again

need to spam some Scottish authorities with scum videos and see what happens, if ONE guy can cause this to get on the news by writing to the Irish consulate or whatever they said it was. total bollocks

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I and a few others said in previous discussions, this was always a song that was liable to come back and bite us on the backside. Sadly it looks to have done so. :(

If Rangers grew a pair of fucking balls and told these fuckwits on Celtic websites where to go (np pun intended) , we wouldnt be in this mess

As I and a few others said in previous discussions, this was always a song that was liable to come back and bite us on the backside. Sadly it looks to have done so. :(

If Rangers grew a pair of fucking balls and told these fuckwits on Celtic websites where to go (np pun intended) , we wouldnt be in this mess

(tu).

Sorry but you can't tell the law to GTF.

I too thought we'd shot ourselves in the foot with this as it can easily be construed as racist and knew celtc fans would say it was in any complaints they made. British law then states it must be treated as racist if people believe it is racist.

Murray will absolutely not defend this and no one else in any kind of position of any credibility will either.

Like it or lump it this is part of the relentless march against racism and this song would have been fine in the 70's and 80's but not now.

The truth is we need, at the least, to box a bit more clever. Songs like this give ammunition to people who want to do us down. If it had even been dropped after concerns were expressed about it within our support, both here and elsewhere....

Irish diplomats have raised concerns with the Scottish Government over chanting by a section of the Rangers support at last month's Old Firm match.

Representations were made by Ireland's Consul General after a Celtic supporter complained to the Irish Embassy about a song which refers to the potato famine.

Rangers FC said it has asked its fans to refrain from singing the song.

The Scottish Government confirmed it had been advised by Ireland's Consul General of the Celtic fan's complaint.

The controversy surrounds a song which referred to the famine which killed an estimated one million people in the 1840s and set in motion the mass migration of Irish people.

The song includes the line: "The famine's over, why don't you go home".

After the song was sung by some Rangers supporters at last month's Old Firm game, a Celtic fan wrote to the Irish Embassy in London to complain.

The Irish consul general in Edinburgh raised the issue at her regular meeting with the Scottish Government.

The Scottish Government made no comment on the discussions, but insisted that several campaigns against bigotry were beginning to work.

A spokesman said: "The Scottish Government is totally committed to combating sectarianism and bigotry, which is why we have expanded on the work of the previous administration and are doing more.

"We are working with the clubs themselves, as they are part of the solution to the problem."

Sporting behaviour

A spokesperson for Rangers said: "In the days following the recent Old Firm match, the Club were made aware that a substantial number of complaints had been made regarding the singing of the chorus of a song known as 'The Famine Song' by our supporters at this match.

"Rangers Football Club approached Strathclyde Police for guidance on this matter, with a view to issuing a joint statement indicating that persons singing this song in future may face the possibility of arrest.

"Strathclyde Police were not able to commit to this until they had carried out further investigation."

The spokesman said the club had a long-established policy of encouraging sporting behaviour and discouraged the singing of songs which others found offensive.

"Clearly 'The Famine Song' has provoked such a response in certain quarters," he added.

"It is the club's view that the interest of our supporters and the club will be best served by supporters refraining from singing 'The Famine Song'."

====

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/7617518.stm

I too thought we'd shot ourselves in the foot with this as it can easily be construed as racist and knew celtc fans would say it was in any complaints they made. British law then states it must be treated as racist if people believe it is racist.

Murray will absolutely not defend this and no one else in any kind of position of any credibility will either.

Like it or lump it this is part of the relentless march against racism and this song would have been fine in the 70's and 80's but not now.

When has Murray ever defended anything Rangers fans have been accused of ?

(tu) Sums up my views.

Concerns raised over famine song

The complaint was made after Rangers' victory over Celtic last month

Irish diplomats have raised concerns with the Scottish Government over chanting by a section of the Rangers support at last month's Old Firm match.

Representations were made by Ireland's Consul General after a Celtic supporter complained to the Irish Embassy about a song which refers to the potato famine.

Rangers FC said it has asked its fans to refrain from singing the song.

The Scottish Government confirmed it had been advised by Ireland's Consul General of the Celtic fan's complaint.

The controversy surrounds a song which referred to the famine which killed an estimated one million people in the 1840s and set in motion the mass migration of Irish people.

The song includes the line: "The famine's over, why don't you go home".

After the song was sung by some Rangers supporters at last month's Old Firm game, a Celtic fan wrote to the Irish Embassy in London to complain.

The Irish consul general in Edinburgh raised the issue at her regular meeting with the Scottish Government.

The Scottish Government made no comment on the discussions, but insisted that several campaigns against bigotry were beginning to work.

A spokesman said: "The Scottish Government is totally committed to combating sectarianism and bigotry, which is why we have expanded on the work of the previous administration and are doing more.

"We are working with the clubs themselves, as they are part of the solution to the problem."

Sporting behaviour

A spokesperson for Rangers said: "In the days following the recent Old Firm match, the Club were made aware that a substantial number of complaints had been made regarding the singing of the chorus of a song known as 'The Famine Song' by our supporters at this match.

"Rangers Football Club approached Strathclyde Police for guidance on this matter, with a view to issuing a joint statement indicating that persons singing this song in future may face the possibility of arrest.

"Strathclyde Police were not able to commit to this until they had carried out further investigation."

The spokesman said the club had a long-established policy of encouraging sporting behaviour and discouraged the singing of songs which others found offensive.

"Clearly 'The Famine Song' has provoked such a response in certain quarters," he added.

"It is the club's view that the interest of our supporters and the club will be best served by supporters refraining from singing 'The Famine Song'."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgo...est/7617518.stm

Once again a news report on sectarianism in Scotland covers us big bad Rangers fans singing nasty songs about the poor old Celtic supporters. The BBC are nothing if not consistent. doh

FFS, I what absolute one-sided pish. Maybe I should write to my government to complain at how "offended" I am at having to listen to the same old IRA shite from them or songs about people dying in a disaster and see if that ever makes the lead story on Reporting Scotland.

Over the alleged Nazi salutes in Israel.

At the time of the famine, it was perfectly acceptable for any Irish to come over and live here because of the conditions etc

But now its years later and Celtic (who were formed because of the famine) are still in Scotland and are considered a Scotttish club, while there supporters have some strange obsession with ireland

The song (its a chant ffs) is poking fun at them because of this obsession and is asking why they dont go back to the country the club is supposedly from

What im pissed off about is why their IRA songs as well as Nacho Novo songs and *go home ya h***" have never been given a mention in the news, never mind the main fucking headline

In what way is it racist?

Because a couple of MOPEs say so?

Dont be so stupid

Do you seriously expect him to defend "F the Pope" or "F*nian Blood" <cr>

Rangers fans have, in just the last few years, been called orange bastards, nazis, and sub human. We have had lies printed about our founders, a joke about the Ibrox Disaster, a story about us (and not Celtic fans) abusing Mark Walters on his debut and a front-page article mocking the death of our first manager.

Journos can write almost anything about Rangers supporters because they know Murray will never do anything about it. He never has, he will never defend us and he does not care if WE are called a nazi in the mainstream press, purely because you support Rangers.

So let me get this right in my head A(1) Celtic fan complained to the Irish Consul in London with concerns about this. Now this has been raised and passed to Rangers Football Club as a matter of "bigotry and descrimitve behavior against both the Irish and Celtic fans. So by flipping the coin and we Rangers fans writing to both the Scottish Executive and English Parliaments (The parliament being the highest level of authority within the United Kingdom of Great Britain) about the glorifying of the IRA Terrorist groups (Terrorist= Al-Queda etc) thus should result instantly in them being investigated, their Irish songs stop being played at Porkhead and notifing them that yes actually the famine is done ye's can go home!

Do you seriously expect him to defend "F the Pope" or "F*nian Blood" <cr>

Lawell chucks these sort of reports on IRA songs and Nacho Novo songs in the bin

Murray caves in because he cant be arsed with it anymore

go figure