Dundee Utd game may be postponed

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry but ive still not seen any links to the game being postponed.

Sky sports news - breaking news banner ticker at bottom o the screen, plus LEx gold has confirmed it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/7671374.stm

Dundee United's SPL game against Rangers on Saturday has been postponed as a mark of respect for the late United chairman Eddie Thompson.

In a statement, the SPL said the fixture at Ibrox would be played at a later date, yet to be finalised.

SPL chairman Lex Gold said his thoughts were with Thompson's family, adding that his death was "a great loss".

Thompson died on Wednesday morning, aged 67, following a long battle with prostate cancer.

Gold said he had enjoyed working with Thompson in the past and that he had been "an inspiration to many".

"Eddie is a great loss to our game. On a personal level, I'm pleased to have been able to work with Eddie and I will miss his support, encouragement and insight," Gold said.

"At this time our thoughts are with those who are close to Eddie."

as it should be. They have had a hard time as a club this week, and, also last season when they had to play the game after Motherwell last year as well

Plus, we will have spare time to play the fixture this season :P

Add to that, after our performance last match, last thing we need to be fair is a tricky game like them, and, they would have been WELL fired up for it

Well that fucks me right up. Flights, match tickets all booked etc.

Will RFC refund match tickets ?

It's the SPHell you would need to take it up with I would assume as they have come to decide the match should be postponed.

Is this the same DU that played Motherwell the day PO died in hospital ? If memory serves me well they played all the following games although they were involved while the ambulance chasers got 2 in a row postponed. ? Sorry but it's gettin ridiculous don't ya think ? :sherlock:

At the end of the day footballs just a game. Thompson was a massive figure for Dundee UTD so everyone will be affected by this.

I agree 100% with you mate, id want it off too if it was our chairman (although going by some people on other forums they would want a party...arseholes)

Eddie Thompson would prob have wanted the game to go ahead but doubt the UTD players/fans would be too keen on it

RIP Mr Thompson

I agree but I am gutted as I was travelling up from Sunderland and meeting my sister who was getting the train up from London. Bugger

Is this the same DU that played Motherwell the day PO died in hospital ? If memory serves me well they played all the following games although they were involved while the ambulance chasers got 2 in a row postponed. ? Sorry but it's gettin ridiculous don't ya think ? :sherlock:

Don't be a tit. They requested the following games be postponed and it was refused by our charming administration. Think they lost 4-0 in their next game.

Well that fucks me right up. Flights, match tickets all booked etc.

Will RFC refund match tickets ?

That is exactly the reason why the game should not be postponed.

They couldn't care less about the fans and I think you know the answer to your question.

While I feel sorry for EssexBear, and all other gers fans who have already made plans to travel to the game, its rude to expect players to play after someone who is an integral part of the team dies.

Not to sound cold hearted, but the game should still go ahead. In just about every business or organisation in the world can't just cancel their activities when someone dies.

I agree really. Not only that, just like the O'Donnell case was, the following match is an opportunity for all to show their respect.

ffs some of you guys need to get a fuckin grip, the family who own the club have lost 2 of it's members in a couple of days including the family head and some of you are whinging because the game is postponed, i'll never cease to be amazed at how calous some people can be.

Guest Andypendek

It's not callous to have no feeling for someone I have never met. You'd be crushed under the weight of emotion if you carried on like that. That's not to say it's not a shame, but it has no impact on me whatsoever. I could post here, oh dear, what a shame, thoughts with you etc but it would be completely untrue.

It wasn't sudden, the man was terminally ill

I was looking forward to this, first home game in nearly a month, have a minutes silence but calling off games is getting out of hand, especially after last seasons debacle.

A Joke

Fuck the SPL :rangers:

It wasn't sudden, the man was terminally ill

I was looking forward to this, first home game in nearly a month, have a minutes silence but calling off games is getting out of hand, especially after last seasons debacle.

A Joke

Exactly, they are setting a dangerous precedent here.

Who exactly isnt important enough to get a game postponed when they die?

It's not what we needed at all tbh.

I really wanted us to keep up with Celtic and get the St Mirren game out of our system, but now it's advantage the tims.

We'll be three points behind them after the weekend (probs) and we'll have a tough game against a fired up Dundee Utd side in hand. Not ideal.

And we've hardly had a fucking game at home this year! Now we're missing another one. The SPL has set a dangerous precedent with the O'Donnell postponement.