Dundee clubs kick SDM in the stones

damien1

http://www.dundeeunitedfc.co.uk/index.asp?...2008&cd1=11

Dundee United FC and Dundee FC today issued the following joint statement in response to allegations attributed to Rangers Chairman David Murray. Mr. Murray is reported as saying that Rangers fans are being made a scapegoat for Scotland's sectarian problem, claiming that Dundee and Dundee United were examples of clubs whose fans trade sectarian abuse on websites which was just as bad as Rangers and Septic.

Bob Brannan, Chairman, Dundee FC and Derek Robertson, Director, Dundee United FC agreed the following joint statement: -

"While Mr. Murray was referring to independent supporters' messageboard websites rather than the official websites of Dundee and Dundee United, we are nevertheless appalled at the attempt to deflect criticism by manufacturing a situation which simply does not exist between the two clubs. Sectarianism is not an issue in Dundee, is not an issue between the two clubs in the city and is not the subject of any abuse between the two sets of fans. This attempt to tarnish the good name of the city and its two senior football clubs is outrageous.

The position of both clubs in Dundee is backed up by solid evidence from Strathclyde University. In a report published on behalf of Nil By Mouth in 2005, "The Extent of Sectarianism Online (2005) Strathclyde University", it states,

"The peculiarity of the OF boards was demonstrated by the contrasting absence of sectarianism on the control boards, Dundee United and Dundee and Everton and Liverpool"

We now intend to raise this matter with the relevant authorities to bring an end to it and trust the good name of both Dundee clubs and their supporters remains unblemished in the eyes of not only Scotland's football fraternity, but throughout the whole of Scottish society."

I think it probably does happen but certainly not to the extent. He should be deflecting onto the other half of the Old Firm or if he's going to do it elsewhere then Hearts and Hibs is certainly a better example than the Dundee clubs.

Here is the article

RANGERS are being unfairly victimised by the media, according to David Murray, the club’s chairman, who claims they are being made a scapegoat for Scotland’s sectarianism problem.

The tycoon said the issue attracts a disproportionate amount of attention and that Rangers are singled out for particular blame.

Murray said Dundee and Dundee United were examples of clubs whose fans trade sectarian abuse on websites which is never mentioned in the media.

His comments follow the ongoing row over the singing of the so-called Famine Song by Rangers supporters, which includes the line: “The famine’s over . . . why don’t you go home?”

The use of the song has been raised at government level in Scotland and Ireland and police have warned fans they risk arrest if they are caught singing it. Murray insisted Rangers have made strenuous efforts to tackle sectarianism, but added: “I think obesity and drugs, where people are losing their lives nearly every hour of every day, is a far greater issue.

“To point the finger on Rangers, I find is a bit soft when you can look at the website of any football club, [at] banners that are sold in any football ground, and they do not come under the same scrutiny.

“I was amazed to see what goes on between Dundee United and Dundee on the websites. In some of these websites it’s just as bad as Rangers and Celtic but because it’s not the west of Scotland it doesn’t get the same reviewing.”

Murray told shareholders at the Rangers AGM that he would be taking up the issue with Alex Salmond, the first minister. He urged supporters to police themselves at matches and stop “serving our head on a silver salver” to critics in the media.

Rangers have been scarred by the sectarian problem for years and the club was fined £13,300 by Uefa for “discriminatory chanting” at both legs of a Champions League tie against Villarreal in 2006.

The behaviour of their supporters at the Uefa Cup Final in May was also widely condemned after they fought running battles with police.

Last week, Scottish football’s governing body said they would consider deducting points from Rangers unless their fans ceased indulging in discriminatory chants such as the Famine Song.

George Peat, the Scottish Football Association president, said: “If the situation doesn’t improve then all we could do is threaten to deduct points.”

Last year, Rangers launched another high-profile campaign against sectarianism, Follow With Pride, to build on the work they previously undertook with their Pride Over Prejudice initiative.

Jack McConnell, the former first minister, has attacked the Scottish government for failing to tackle sectarianism. However, the SNP insists it is working on measures, including providing funding for anti-bigotry groups such as Nil By Mouth.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/s...icle5062818.ece

I think it probably does happen but certainly not to the extent. He should be deflecting onto the other half of the Old Firm or if he's going to do it elsewhere then Hearts and Hibs is certainly a better example than the Dundee clubs.

Absolutely, the hertz supporters disrupted the minutes silence for the old pope

Point being, can you imagine him coming out and refuting anything or standing up for Rangers fans? Nope. And why attack the Dundee clubs when there is a far worse problem at Celtic which can be highlighted.

I think what he has said is actually standing up for the fans,

What goes on between dundee utd and dundee is just as bad but gets no criticism suggests he is fighting back.

Although you may hate Murray, read what he says. He is actually standing up for us.

I hate this line that keeps getting used.

'The song which includes the line: The famine’s over . . . why don’t you go home?'

That's the whole fucking song doh

I know, its a farce, its as if they are punishing us for something we arent doing, oh wait, they are doh

Point being, can you imagine him coming out and refuting anything or standing up for Rangers fans? Nope. And why attack the Dundee clubs when there is a far worse problem at Celtic which can be highlighted.

I think what he has said is actually standing up for the fans,

What goes on between dundee utd and dundee is just as bad but gets no criticism suggests he is fighting back.

Although you may hate Murray, read what he says. He is actually standing up for us.

It's a half-arsed attempt at trying to defend us. And as has been said above, why pick on smaller teams, why not go straight for Celtic in his criticism? Why not come out and say TFS Song is neither racist nor religiously biased and if arrested were made it'd be a matter for courts to decide not Rangers or Strathclyde police to make the law. Simple if you've got balls.

He'll probably be under instructions from the Government/polis not to criticise the Sellic support, because that could inflame things etc. It certainly wouldn't help reduce the amount of sectarian chanting anyway.

No idea why he didn't go for Hearts and Hibs though :(

I hate this line that keeps getting used.

'The song which includes the line: The famine’s over . . . why don’t you go home?'

That's the whole fucking song doh

Everyone keeps ignoring this fact and have been allowed to do so. If SDM had reacted to the criticism similarly to the way McGhee has done I think he could have nipped this in the bud before it was blown out of all propotion.