If you had to the opporunity to move down south, but..

GOAT

Blue Square premier - Would you?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Blue Square premier - Would you?

• Yes
    • No

Considering the Blue Square Premier is the highest of the non-league divisions, I'm sure we would not be put there. The lowest we could be placed would be League Two. I don't think we'd be forced to lose massive amounts of revenue by going into the non-league pyramid.

This is all hypothetical, of course. I don't think we'd move to England unless, somehow, someone important somewhere bought into the idea of a British "super" league.

British super league would be good, though embarrasing for Scotland. I cant begin to imagine ICT playing real football teams every week, or most of the teams in the SPL for that matter.

I think it'd be the only feasible way of working it. I don't know if you heard but there was a big debate about Cardiff City last season and if they won the FA Cup, they initially were not allowed to go into Europe as they were competing in England. However, they also could not qualify via the Welsh Cup either. Catch 22. That's why I wouldn't be keen on entering the English Premiership.

With regards to the other clubs coming up, I'm sure that no matter how it was produced, a natural equilibrium would sort everything out. I reckon that some of our teams could reach as high as mid-table Championship outfits, given time. Thing is, half of our clubs swing so badly in terms of form. See Hearts for a prime example. :lol:

Yeh i remember that, though i'm sure stuff like that would be sorted out beforehand, especially when it involves clubs as big as the Old Firm, and not some diddy team like Cardiff City. :pipe:

Hearts.... Or Gretna! :anguish:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont remember that, could be wrong though. I said Sky would have the biggest voice, so obviously they couldnt give a shit about Rangers and Celtic.

On a side note, i cant believe the vote is so close. :crab:

This is the only article I could find online, with regards to this. It was actually seven years ago. Amazing how time flies.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-48844409.html

Dont remember that, could be wrong though. I said Sky would have the biggest voice, so obviously they couldnt give a shit about Rangers and Celtic.

On a side note, i cant believe the vote is so close. :crab:

This is the only article I could find online, with regards to this. It was actually seven years ago. Amazing how time flies.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-48844409.html

Ah ok, seems it was pretty informal. :pipe:

Formal or informal...they still said no.

If SKY wanted us then, we would have been there now.

Ok, so Sky dont want us then.

Thank you. :)

Now back to my original point, this is the only way we will ever get anywhere near the Premier League.

We had Grays Athletic where I steward a few weeks ago and they brought the grand sum of 33. 10 of which were local. So effectively 23 fans. That's a 160 mile trip. Ibrox is 430. We'd get about 2. :lol:

To put things into context, the Grays mainsite is a WordPress site. The RM site looks several miles more professional.

Now back to my original point, this is the only way we will ever get anywhere near the Premier League.

...and by the time we got there (assuming we were allowed) we'd be in danger of being just another bit player, except with no prospect of European football.

Sky's motto would be "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" with regards to the Premiership but things change and if viewing figures or advertising ever started to slide then who knows what might happen.

My own opinion is that it's a non starter but would be more likley to happen if Satanta ever outbid Sky when the current deal expires.

I just dont see what the hassle is with us going straight into the Premiership to be honest.

People bleat on about it being unfair on the teams in the Championship and teams in the bottom half of the Premier League.

Easy. Make it a 22 team league instead of a 20 team league and increase the season to 42 games instead of 38. More money for the bottom clubs(due to the crowds the OF would take) and they are already talking about having a 39th game anyway so whats with an extra 3 games ffs.

Celtic and Rangers could agree to pump £4 million between them, back into the SPL clubs as compensation, or alternatively(which i dont think would be accepted), put a reserve side into the 1st division or something which would further generate revenue down the leagues.

Scottish Premier would blossom as well due to

a) competition to win the league

b) more money from the OF

c) OF fans not able to travel to england might pop along to another game

I believe it is still the case that Hibs record average attendance in the last 20 years over a season was the season they won the 1st division. Surely this tells its own story about teams competing for trophies and attendances.

Smudger, if you are reading, drop me a PM and i will sort it for you (tu)

do cardiff play in the english championship because there aint a welsh league ? anybody

What English championship is that? I've never heard of it. In fact I've never heard of any 'English' league. ;)

I would dearly love us to do this. We'd only be in the BSP for a season anyway! Once we get to League 2 or 1 we'd get the same amount of money from TV (no Europe of course though).

It will simply never, ever happen though. FIFA would shit a kidney.

do cardiff play in the english championship because there aint a welsh league ? anybody

What English championship is that? I've never heard of it. In fact I've never heard of any 'English' league. ;)

wit dae u mean

What I said.

wit dae u mean

What I said.ok the coca cola championship that beta 4 u

We were arguing the same point all along :anguish:

Who would want to stay playing for us on the hope we may get the premiership within 4 years or so apart from maybe Broadfoot. We'd have to start with a totally different team with no internationals and work our way up. That could be a risk far too big.

We'll never be allowed into the EPL gravy train because of a) those arseholes at Manchester & b) all 20 clubs have to agree to us (the RFC & them scummy bastards) that is Goat, it wasn't 20-0. It was a fact of all clubs had to agree to it (sky's idea) but seeing as 3 clubs are always going down, it's never gonna happen, eh?

There is a Welsh league but it's so pathetically poor that Cardiff City, Swansea City, Newport County and Wrexham all chose to play outwith it. Biggest challenge is TNS, who's name is enough of a joke without the team being taken into account. :mutley:

Cant believe people would even entertain this idea lol

went to watch rangers youth play kettering last season and it was an entertaining 2-2 draw. the same kettering who were top of the blue square for a few weeks not that long ago. the conference is a good tight league that most former league clubs are finding hard to leave, but that is due to the fact all big players leave you and its a battle to get average players now a days.

i used to work for, and still support, a team 2 levels below the conference and i can guarantee that if rangers were to move to the conference, it would be professional suicide.