Next seasons champions league.

23 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

- Lens beat Arsenal 
- Copenhagen got results against Man Utd + Galatasaray and qualified for the last 16
- Braga and Union Berlin both earned some points
- RB Salzburg beat Benfica in a group which Sociedad topped
- Feyenoord + Young Boys took points
- Shakhtar and Antwerp both took points off Barca 

There's no way you can say we can't expect to be competitive IMO. We have bigger budgets than Copenhagen, Braga, Salzburg, Feyenoord, Young Boys and Antwerp. In terms of wage structure and total budget we probably have a higher budget than Shakhtar too, but given they're owned by a billionaire they can buy who they want (good luck convincing people to move close to a warzone though).

I absolutely expect us to get into the Champions League and compete in the group stage as a bare minimum. 

We do have a manager that isn't affraid to attack now, so that should be our aim. 

Would much prefer we go in as champions though....fuck this settling for 2nd best shit!!

48 minutes ago, Southsider said:

Must admit to being conflicted on this.  There's no doubt that, given the quality of players we can sign nowadays, we can't expect to be competitive in the CL.

OTOH, we do need the money

It’s an absolute no brainer for this coming season. Is it not some mad new megabucks format with 10 games?

43 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

- Lens beat Arsenal 
- Copenhagen got results against Man Utd + Galatasaray and qualified for the last 16

There's no way you can say we can't expect to be competitive IMO. We have bigger budgets than Copenhagen, Braga, Salzburg, Feyenoord, Young Boys and Antwerp. In terms of wage structure and total budget we probably have a higher budget than Shakhtar too, but given they're owned by a billionaire they can buy who they want (good luck convincing people to move close to a warzone though).

I absolutely expect us to get into the Champions League and compete in the group stage as a bare minimum. 

I do have some question marks around us having bigger budgets than all of those teams you mentioned, but the general point I agree with.

I don't expect us to go into the Champions League expecting to qualify, but as a bare minimum we should be expecting to get 3-6 points and drop into the Europa League. With the new group structure obviously it's different, but I don't think it's unrealistic to think qualifying for the playoff stages (which would mean finishing in the top 24 out of 36) is possible if we have a really good season.

I do feel conflicted about not having the drop down to the Europe League though. We will get 8 games in the CL if we qualify, which will come with more money, but it does put an end to any chance of a proper run in Europe.

16 minutes ago, Somemightsay7 said:

I do have some question marks around us having bigger budgets than all of those teams you mentioned, but the general point I agree with.

I don't expect us to go into the Champions League expecting to qualify, but as a bare minimum we should be expecting to get 3-6 points and drop into the Europa League. With the new group structure obviously it's different, but I don't think it's unrealistic to think qualifying for the playoff stages (which would mean finishing in the top 24 out of 36) is possible if we have a really good season.

I do feel conflicted about not having the drop down to the Europe League though. We will get 8 games in the CL if we qualify, which will come with more money, but it does put an end to any chance of a proper run in Europe.

Mostly down to wages. 

Scotland is a league with a poor reputation and I think we have to quite often pay a huge premium in wages over and above to get a lot of the players we do when competing with other clubs. 

Tom Lawrence for example, I think Sheffield United at the time said we blew them and other clubs out of the water in wages. 

2 hours ago, Southsider said:

Must admit to being conflicted on this.  There's no doubt that, given the quality of players we can sign nowadays, we can't expect to be competitive in the CL.

That’s not true. Every team we beat in the knockout stages on the road to Seville are in it this year.

We were genuinely unlucky last year with the draw. Napoli were the best team in Europe and we competed with them til the red card at Ibrox. 
Liverpool are Liverpool but we had King and Sands at centre back and they are bringing on Salah who is desperate to score every game.

The games against Ajax I just think we were caught in the headlights in the first game and the last game was basically a non event.

We will be in pot 2 for the new format so we can certainly compete with the right draw.

3 minutes ago, ElBufalo20 said:

That’s not true. Every team we beat in the knockout stages on the road to Seville are in it this year.

We were genuinely unlucky last year with the draw. Napoli were the best team in Europe and we competed with them til the red card at Ibrox. 
Liverpool are Liverpool but we had King and Sands at centre back and they are bringing on Salah who is desperate to score every game.

The games against Ajax I just think we were caught in the headlights in the first game and the last game was basically a non event.

We will be in pot 2 for the new format so we can certainly compete with the right draw.

The first Ajax game was nothing to do with being caught in the headlights tbf, we just chucked it after the Tarriers game

Finanicially and prestige you have to want the champions league game.

Last time was deflating but circumstances dictates the walloping we got - insane volume of injuries particularly at CB, a very tough draw and at a point our manager was on a decline.

Not saying we would necessarily get out a group but in normal practice we would pick up some results.

6 hours ago, psb07158 said:

- Lens beat Arsenal 

The winning goal for Lens v Arsenal was scored by a player who cost them €35 Million euros  (Wahi)

RB Salzburg's most expensive player cost €13 M and their squad is valued at twice ours 

Feynoord's squad is valued at three times ours and they are buying players in the €7 - 9M bracket

Copenhagen and Braga have, as you say, done well but even they are buying players around €6 M.

And this year is the first time since 2011 that Copenhagen have made it out of the group stages

I'm not sure you are being realistic, given our current position.  But I do tend to agree with the view that, frankly, we need the money

6 hours ago, LegendofCoop said:

We do have a manager that isn't affraid to attack now, so that should be our aim. 

Would much prefer we go in as champions though....fuck this settling for 2nd best shit!!

We should be prioritising getting to the CL Groups every season, no questions. 

If we drop into the EL after giving that a go then fair enough, but we shouldnt be happy at not getting to the CL.

28 minutes ago, Southsider said:

The winning goal for Lens v Arsenal was scored by a player who cost them €35 Million euros  (Wahi)

RB Salzburg's most expensive player cost €13 M and their squad is valued at twice ours 

Feynoord's squad is valued at three times ours and they are buying players in the €7 - 9M bracket

Copenhagen and Braga have, as you say, done well but even they are buying players around €6 M.

And this year is the first time since 2011 that Copenhagen have made it out of the group stages

I'm not sure you are being realistic, given our current position.  But I do tend to agree with the view that, frankly, we need the money

So are we.

When did we last make it out of the CL group stages?

Copenhagens annual wage bill is around 18 million Euros, which is around 15 million pounds.

1 hour ago, JD Sanchez said:

We should be prioritising getting to the CL Groups every season, no questions. 

If we drop into the EL after giving that a go then fair enough, but we shouldnt be happy at not getting to the CL.

You can't move between them after this season. Only if you're knocked out in qualifying afaik. 

21 hours ago, Southsider said:

I wouldnt let what happened the last time put us off .

I'm sure there were 7 or 8 teams in the CL group stages last season that we've beat in recent seasons so you just never know how things turn out . 

13 hours ago, Jelavic191 said:

You can't move between them after this season. Only if you're knocked out in qualifying afaik. 

Nope but there's 2 extra league games and 9th to 24th go into a play off. If we qualify it's looking like we would be in pot 2 so would miss out playing another pot 2 side. It would give us a good chance of getting a top 24 spot and 10 CL games.