Defending Corners

Defending Corners  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which tactic would you use at corners?

• Corner 1
    • Corner 2

Just watched a wee bit of the Motherwell game again tonight and once again noticed every time they had a corner, we ended up defending the bloody thing 2 or 3 times due to no-one picking the ball up as it comes out the box.

It really aint hard, so the question is, of the 2 below, which tactic would you use when you have a corner ?.

Corner 1

3 outside the box to pick up cleared balls and to turn defense into attack leaving more room for the goalie.

2nvc9vs.jpg

Corner 2

The Wattenacio system.

2wg7xhw.jpg

I'd leave 2 up. 1 on the half way line and one 10 yards from the half way line (one at the half way line used to hold the ball up, one deeper used to play off him or pick the ball up from whoever clears it).

I'd have 2 men on the posts and 1 man standing at the corner of the 6 yard box to clear that low, dangerous ball that's whipped in with pace.

Everyone else would be man marking. If the opposition had 1 extra player up attacking, the player furthest away from the goal would be unmarked, but pressed if he received it.

... tactic 1 assumes that they pull attackers away from the corner to mark the ones that have left the box. If they dont do that tactict 1 leaves MORE opporunity to score from the corner. If I was the attacking team I would take the risk of scoring the goal.

We'd be better looking at our own corners.

Just hit and hope, much like all our set pieces.

agreed!!

anyway i chose corner 1, however it all depends on how many players the oppostion has in the box. I firmly believe we should have 2 players on the line. leaving us with 8 to defend. Most teams leave 2 players back to defend any counter attack meaning that there are 7 oppositon players in our box (one taking corner). hence, in this case, we can only have one player outside the box.

OR, we could go to Rafa's beloved zonal marking system - but we all know how crap that is!

Always annoying how we never atleast leave one player standing on the half way line, but I'm hapy with 1 - I don't think we have been too bad recently at defending them, and with the "wingers" we've been playing with, we hardly have the pace.

I can imagine Charlie getting the ball in our own 3rd, and then stopping at the dugouts to get a drink mid counter-attack!

So far we have 6 people who prefer Watty's current system, none of which have bothered to state why. Would be good to hear the arguments for doing this.

I can think of Hearts (4-2) Pana and Motherwell away where we lost goals from not having anyone outside the box last season. There were more, but these are the ones that stick out.

I'd leave 2 up. 1 on the half way line and one 10 yards from the half way line (one at the half way line used to hold the ball up, one deeper used to play off him or pick the ball up from whoever clears it).

I'd have 2 men on the posts and 1 man standing at the corner of the 6 yard box to clear that low, dangerous ball that's whipped in with pace.

Everyone else would be man marking. If the opposition had 1 extra player up attacking, the player furthest away from the goal would be unmarked, but pressed if he received it.

(tu)

Prefer this to option 1 TBH. Option 2 is, of course, hopeless

in the first option you are assuming that the opposition would leave four players back defending. if the two of the four at the back come forward then you will have the same scenario as option 2.

i agree with rfc_no1fan option

There is absolutely no way a team would leave 2 back to mark 3. At worst they would go man on man and push the extra guy into the box, but if they did that, we would still have 8 bodies versus 6 in there.

However what i would say is that i dont neccessarily disagree with 2 outside the box, it was more to make the point of not having everybody back in the box then defending every set piece 2 and 3 times because we have no-one to hold the ball up.