Ferguson tonight

MikeBlue

having watched the game, i am of the opinion that barry was probably one of the best players for scotland in the first half, albeit thats not saying alot because they did nothing...thought he was composed on the ball throughout and instilled a little patience into the scotland game and helped them settle down a bit...i would have actually liked to have seen him partnered with brown in the middle as i think they would have played well together, but it wasnt to be...

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Played 60 minutes and didn't look bad at all - certainly far better than Brown and the utterly awful Hartley. McManus and Caldwell also terrible - why are we behind them? Oh yes - Broadfoot - least said the better though he is at LB. Gotta feel for Steve Smith watching that

Rare we have parity Mike but I agree with this post.

I was impressed with Barry's contribution. Didn't dominate and got on with his job quietly - his turn which took out, was it, Lavezzi, was excellent and his resulting pass for Commons' was as good as anything the Gerrards of this world can do.

As for Broadfoot, I think he has become something of a cult figure. He's not a particularly good footballer and he looks awkward yet never really plays outright poorly. Apparently that's enough for many fans. I don't know why you say Steve Smith though - it was Naysmith who was dropped last night, and for Rangers it's Papac ahead of Smith.

The only reason Broadfoot started at LB last night was due to the fact that Gary Naysmith has been out of action due to a hamstring injury. Had he been fully fit then he'd have started.

And what exactly is it Broadfoots done wrong tonight ? <cr>

I dno why people love to just slate the lad for the sake of it.

Hes Fuckin Shite IMO

He says he should never beeen dropped from right back :mutley: alan hutton is a millions times better than yu widefoot yur gash

I don't know why you say Steve Smith though - it was Naysmith who was dropped last night, and for Rangers it's Papac ahead of Smith.

What I meant was that had Steve Smith not been plagued with injuries he might by now have established himself as Scotland's LB. But sadly he has to watch a right footed CB playing there instead. Naysmith is near the end of his career and is often injured so I think a fit Smith could well have taken the position. There was a time when many thought Smith had more potential than Hutton and Alan has the RB slot sewn up IMO (cue Burley dropping him for Kirk when Naysmith is fit)

Sadly it really doesn't look as if Smith's career is going to come to anything now - would love to be proved wrong, though.

I was impressed with Barry's contribution. Didn't dominate and got on with his job quietly - his turn which took out, was it, Lavezzi, was excellent and his resulting pass for Commons' was as good as anything the Gerrards of this world can do.

Agreed - I said in OP that he didn't look bad, not that he was superb, but some of the posters have taken it that way. Definitely an improvement on his games for us so far. He also looked far better than the other midfielders, Commons aside.

It is possible, of course, that he looked better because he was playing with Brown and Hartley rather than Mendes and Davis so it was easier to look good.

Trying to figure out how Paul Hartley is considered as Scotland's 'premier' defensive mid leaves my brain aching.

Even a fit Thomson didn't get a look in, but he's at least 2 leagues above Hartley.

Is Burley afraid to pick a Fergie/Thommo midfield in case it's too proddy? :pipe:

Hartley was the defensive midfielder, yet Barry spent the first half 10 yards behind him.

The only way Barry could get on the ball was to drop deeper and deeper into areas where Argentina werent pressing the ball.

Anytime Barry got beyond the half way line, Argentina crowded him out or offered him the square pass or the backwards pass.

I expect more of Barry, if he head and shoulders above any other Scotland player and didnt look out of place against the Argies, how could he not get forward a bit more, into more threatening areas of the field where his passing ability could be used to create something in the final third. Being neat and tidy on the half way line or in our own half isnt good enough and isnt going to get the job done.

Hartley was the defensive midfielder, yet Barry spent the first half 10 yards behind him.

Maybe because Argentina were overrunning us? It was Ferguson who had to cover for Hartley's positional inadequacies by taking up the space just ahead of the defence. He was the composed head throughout the first half, keeping things simple when others panicked.

Anytime Barry got beyond the half way line, Argentina crowded him out or offered him the square pass or the backwards pass.

A pass that went to one of his teammates, thus retaining us possession. When Ferguson got the ball, the pace at which he played it to a teammate was excellent. What do you expect him to do? Look for Iwelumo sitting on the shoulder of the defender or search out "Faddy's" baffling runs out wide? Ferguson stuck to the task by releasing Hutton, Commons and sometimes Brown whenever possible.

I expect more of Barry, if he head and shoulders above any other Scotland player and didnt look out of place against the Argies, how could he not get forward a bit more, into more threatening areas of the field where his passing ability could be used to create something in the final third.

Lets get one thing straight, Ferguson was about 80% match fit last night, Burley admitted this as well. It's totally absurd to ask him to perform this dynamic role for the side. Also, it was who Ferguson played the two most dangerous Scottish incisions throughout the course of the 90 minutes!

I find it almost baffling that he is being criticized on a Rangers forum the day after a Scotland match where he was arguably the sides best performer. Totally baffling.

I cannot believe the praise Scott Brown has been getting for his performance, yet Ferguson, who I thought was average(and I only watched the 1st 35minutes) is getting next to none. Scott Brown was horrific in the 35 odd minutes I saw of him.

Ferguson did quite well I thought, although he was partly to blame for the goal. I think he realised that as he cut short his usual going into 'blame mode'. I thought Hutton looked rustier than he did at times. Broadfoot made a decent fist of another call to a job unsuited to him. A great attitude he has.

Caldwell was fugging awful and WTF has happened to Maloney? He looked shite when he came on.

Agreed - I said in OP that he didn't look bad, not that he was superb, but some of the posters have taken it that way. Definitely an improvement on his games for us so far. He also looked far better than the other midfielders, Commons aside.

It is possible, of course, that he looked better because he was playing with Brown and Hartley rather than Mendes and Davis so it was easier to look good.

He wasn't superb, anyone saying that is a little hysterical, but he was definitely improved. I think that's all we're both saying.

Mainly because he wasn't the main man - he wasn't trying to impose himself on everything. In a more subtle role he just gets on with doing what he's best at, rather than trying to do everyone elses' jobs for them.

Can't believe this thread is still going.

The only positive last night was Ferguson getting 60minutes more under his belt!

No one in a Scotland shirt was even close to having a good game <cr>

Are you reading what's in this thread or are the words converting to 'Barry Ferguson was motm' in your head?

The only positive last night was Ferguson getting 60minutes more under his belt!

Are you reading what's in this thread or are the words converting to 'Barry Ferguson was motm' in your head?

Yes Danny i have read this thread!

I agree with Both points that have been brought up but dragging over the same points is a bit tiresome.

TMWWBK said he was his MOTM maybe you should go back and read all of the posts before jumping on your highhorse :rolleyes:

For the last time let me say this about Ferguson performance...It was good to see him get 60mins under his belt, IMO he wasn't a stand out!

But lets hope he gets back to his former self, now he's free of injury for Rangers and Scotland (tu)

However, Barry asked and showed for the ball. He then stood still and waited for the pass and the Argentine player nipped in infront of him

Sorry - should have realised it was Ferguson's fault rather than Hartley's for taking so long to make the pass.

You were slagging Ferguson off pretty early in the game, you know (check your posts) - I doubt he could ever have had a decent game in your eyes

For the first 20 minutes he was AWOL and he lost his man for the goal. So I posted that, truth hurts.

Then he had a 5-10 minute spell in the game (Which I also posted)

Then I posted at the end of the game saying he was average

Barry hasnt had a really good game for Rangers since Werder Bremen at home in the UEFA Cup

So you regularly posted on what you think you saw.Big deal! Fortunately others can form their own opinions of what they saw.

My own opinion ? Barry easily the classiest Scot. (tu)

Alan Hutton was the best player on that park for Scotland.

Went into every challenge committed.

Had a few great runs.

If he lost the ball, he always won it back.

Top marks Alan (tu)

i like hutton but defensively sometimes he just jogs back into position and gets caught out and has been known to ball watch and lose track of his the player he suppose to be marking

However, Barry asked and showed for the ball. He then stood still and waited for the pass and the Argentine player nipped in infront of him

Sorry - should have realised it was Ferguson's fault rather than Hartley's for taking so long to make the pass.

You were slagging Ferguson off pretty early in the game, you know (check your posts) - I doubt he could ever have had a decent game in your eyes

For the first 20 minutes he was AWOL and he lost his man for the goal. So I posted that, truth hurts.

Barry hasnt had a really good game for Rangers since Werder Bremen at home in the UEFA Cup

So you regularly posted on what you think you saw.Big deal! Fortunately others can form their own opinions of what they saw.

You have an opinion..... I have an opinion.

If you are happy with what Barry produced last night, then we have problems. He was poor for the first 20 minutes, had a decent 5-10 minute spell, then dropped out the game again.

5-10 minutes from our best and most talented player is not good enough IMO

Maybe because Argentina were overrunning us? It was Ferguson who had to cover for Hartley\'s positional inadequacies by taking up the space just ahead of the defence. He was the composed head throughout the first half, keeping things simple when others panicked.

I was talking about when we had the ball. He was happy to drop so deep and play a 5 yard pass. Anyone could do that, Hartley and Brown were poor on the night but they were trying to play in the Argentina half and kept losing the ball.

A pass that went to one of his teammates, thus retaining us possession. When Ferguson got the ball, the pace at which he played it to a teammate was excellent. What do you expect him to do? Look for Iwelumo sitting on the shoulder of the defender or search out \"Faddy\'s\" baffling runs out wide? Ferguson stuck to the task by releasing Hutton, Commons and sometimes Brown whenever possible.

All he did was pass the buck. Again a 5 yard pass isnt good enough from our best and most composed player

I expect more of Barry, if he head and shoulders above any other Scotland player and didnt look out of place against the Argies, how could he not get forward a bit more, into more threatening areas of the field where his passing ability could be used to create something in the final third.

Lets get one thing straight, Ferguson was about 80% match fit last night, Burley admitted this as well. It\'s totally absurd to ask him to perform this dynamic role for the side. Also, it was who Ferguson played the two most dangerous Scottish incisions throughout the course of the 90 minutes!

If he isnt match fit, he shouldnt be playing at international level. He started, so he gets judged. Broadfoot isnt a left back, Brown isnt a right midfielder, yet we are allowed to freely criticise their performances.

I find it almost baffling that he is being criticized on a Rangers forum the day after a Scotland match where he was arguably the sides best performer. Totally baffling.

He isnt above critisism, he isnt god. When he plays well he gets praise and when he plays below his best he deserves criticism

You have an opinion..... I have an opinion.

If you are happy with what Barry produced last night, then we have problems. He was poor for the first 20 minutes, had a decent 5-10 minute spell, then dropped out the game again.

5-10 minutes from our best and most talented player is not good enough IMO

There you go again,your opinion is the only correct one. <cr>

Barry came off, Brown went into the middle with Robertson and Scotland had their best move of the game.

Barry did nothing all game. When he got the ball, he played a 5-10 pass, but didnt look for the return. Majority of his passes were backwards and he spent most of the half in his own half. He also lost his man for the goal

Our leader, so called best player couldnt influence the game and Scotland created nothing with him in it. He's not in the team to take the ball off others and play 5-10 passes

you really do hate barry!

Yes Danny i have read this thread!

I agree with Both points that have been brought up but dragging over the same points is a bit tiresome.

TMWWBK said he was his MOTM maybe you should go back and read all of the posts before jumping on your highhorse :rolleyes:

He's only one man. Rest of the posts seem a little less praiseworthy and more 'he is improving'. Which, let us face it. wouldn't be hard.

btw, my high horse has a very comfortable saddle. Thanks for keeping it warm for me :P

For the last time let me say this about Ferguson performance...It was good to see him get 60mins under his belt, IMO he wasn't a stand out!

Barry showed small signs of getting his old self back. Which I think is a wee bit more than just saying the only positive was his 60 minutes.

But lets hope he gets back to his former self, now he's free of injury for Rangers and Scotland (tu)

We can indeed only hope. And by former self I mean the one from about 2 years ago and earlier. He was mediocre for us last year.

(btw, I felt AM actually DID have a good game and did his international chances little harm)