Naismith on his comeback

Boab

Tells The Record He's Winning Fitness Battle

STEVEN NAISMITH has spent the past seven months slogging his way back to fitness but admits the hard work is only just beginning.

The Rangers striker has been ploughing his way through a gruelling rehabilitation programme after undergoing cruciate knee ligament surgery at the end of last season.

Naismith overcame the biggest hurdle so far on the comeback trail earlier this week when he returned to full-contact training for the first time since being crocked in the Scottish Cup semi-final against St Johnstone last April.

The 22-year-old was delighted to come through the session unscathed but is bracing himself for what he regards as an even bigger test. Naismith is determined to prove he is worth every penny of the £2million Walter Smith paid to take him from Rugby Park at the start of last season.

But with attackers Kenny Miller, Kris Boyd, Kyle Lafferty, Jean Claude Darcheville, Nacho Novo and Andrius Velicka all currently ahead of him in the Ibrox pecking order he knows it won't be easy.

Naismith said: "Monday was the first day I've been in full-contact training and it was a great feeling to join in.

"The last few weeks I've done possession and passing with the lads but to get back into a proper session is a huge step for me.

"Now I'm desperate to get back playing so I can show my worth. The manager brought me here and I want to show him I'm worth the money and fight to get me.

"The first challenge is just to get fit, the next is to prove to the boss he can rely on me and that I can get back in the team.

"Getting a game is going to be a lot harder than last year. There are a lot fewer matches because we are out of Europe and there is only one main goal - winning the SPL.

"We have a big squad and there are so many quality players fighting for places. But I'm relishing the chance to get back out there among them."

If Naismith tackles the challenge with the same gusto as his fight back to full fitness then regaining his place in the Rangers starting line-up should pose few problems.

The ex-Kilmarnock striker is on course to return before the turn of the year - four months ahead of the surgeon's initial prognosis.

Sacrificing his summer holidays and working non-stop from the day of his operation appear to have paid off although he is reluctant to take anything for granted.

Naismith said: "I'll have a few weeks of seeing how my knee reacts to full training before I can think about playing in a game.

"It will depend how things go if I play before the New Year, I'll just have to take things as they come and wait and see.

"It's been a case of so far so good and I think getting my operation in the summer helped as I was able to train all through the holidays and that has taken a couple of months off my recovery time.

"There have been goals along the way but I've deliberately not set a specific date for my comeback. You just never know what can happen so I don't want to tempt fate.

"When I picked up the injury the doctor said it could take up to a year. The surgeon said the same but I was encouraged when he also said it was possible to come back within six to eight months.

"The last few weeks have been frustrating.

We've been doing the drills and while the rest of the players have been playing games I've been working on my own with the fitness coach. I've been dying to get back in but the medics know best and I've just got to go along with their guidance."

There is no sense of bitterness towards St Johnstone's Martin Hardie, a former team-mate at Kilmarnock and the player responsible for shattering his knee.

Naismith has refused to condemn him, preferring to focus on the future and the positives rather than dwell on the negatives.

It's a philosophy he feels has served him well over the past seven months. He said: "I wouldn't say having a cruciate operation is as bad as anybody has ever made out.

"Chris Burke and Allan McGregor were injured at the same time as me over the summer so there was always someone around to keep my spirits up which made it easier. I was fortunate I was never in any real pain.

"I think I'm someone who always has a sunny disposition and for me the glass is always half full rather than half empty.

"That kind of outlook helps you in a situation like this and it's certainly made me appreciate football a lot more. My knee feels normal and just the way it did before the injury.

"I remember speaking to Ian Durrant about his cruciate injury and he was in a plaster cast for up to four months. I walked out the hospital the day after my operation."

Rapid strides have been made in medical science over the past two decades and that's why Naismith is confident team-mate Kevin Thomson, who suffered an identical injury at Kilmarnock a fortnight ago, will make a full and speedy recovery.

He said: "When I injured my cruciate Thommo was one of the first players to be there for me because he had done it before at Hibs.

"When I saw the tackle I instantly knew it was a bad one.

"He will be sorely missed. But the medical people can do so much for you these days and he will be back better than ever."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-20909773/

I held high hopes for this lad, i was actually really excited when he signed last minute...unfortunately, he is yet to recapture his form for killie, but given time, he could be a good striker for us and has alot of similar attributes to kenny (except he hits the back of the net) and maybe seen as his successor...

Can't wait to have Naismith back. I just don't know where he's going to play?

He won't get a game ahead of Miller or Boyd so I guess if he does play then it will be out of position.

He won't get a game ahead of Miller or Boyd so I guess if he does play then it will be out of position.

He will get loaned out to Stenhousemuir or some shite like that

It will be a few months yet before he is really ready, probably around mid February, but that will give him a chance of establishing himself for next season.

Now Walter will have Naismith and Lafferty - two strikers who cost 5.5m between them challenging for a left mid/wing spot.

Shaking my head at that one.

Hard to tell with Walter tbh, but even if Boyd and Miller remain the first choice pairing initially, who would you prefer to bring on as a change between Novo, Lafferty, Velicka and Naismith?

Naismith for me

Hard to tell with Walter tbh, but even if Boyd and Miller remain the first choice pairing initially, who would you prefer to bring on as a change between Novo, Lafferty, Velicka and Naismith?

Naismith for me

A fully fit and on form Naismith (tu)

I don't think he will. Not this season anyway. Walt will put him in the reserves. Or maybe Left back.