• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Walter will probably still be here for a few years yet

Please no

how long he left on the contract 1 season after this

'Walter Smith has quit as Scotland coach to become boss of Rangers for a second time after agreeing a three-year deal. '

Another year and a half to go.

Too friendly and too close to the players. Difficult to go from the joker to someone who needs respect,and to go from one of the boys to the authority figure who must install discipline. In the warm up he cannot control himself and allow the players their shooting practice time without messing up their tries and shooting at goal himself.

Never a manager for me and woe betide us if Durrant has any tactical input.

Yeah doc we have both talked about Durrant and McCoist in the past - if you go to reserve/youth matches then you'll know where we are coming from!

Anyway the rags seemed to have picked up on it:

Apprentice Ally McCoist is in line for the manager's job at Rangers - but only if he helps Walter Smith wrest back the balance of power from Celtic.

As chairman Sir David Murray prepares to mark his 20th year in charge at Ibrox, he spoke publicly for the first time of 'an understanding' within the club's hierarchy that the former striker will eventually replace his mentor.

But Murray also warned that any such promotion would have to be 'success-driven' - and that a failure to land trophies under the current regime would put paid to McCoist's chances.

If Rangers end Celtic's four-in-a-row championship bid this season, there are those who believe the transfer of power could take place next summer.

And Sportsmail can reveal that McCoist, who was appointed in January 2007 when Smith returned to the club for the second time, has a contract which already runs six months beyond the manager's existing deal.

'As so often happens in football, the decision will be success-driven,' said Murray. 'If we are successful and Walter is successful, then a natural successor would be McCoist.

'It has not been talked about but there is an understanding there, all things being equal.

'And I hope for him that he gets it. You wouldn't have thought 20 years ago that Ally would be a manager but he is a very strong lad.

'McCoist is bright and he has always had a strong mentality. Together with Kenny McDowall, they are a good team, so why not? Why shouldn't they get the chance?'

McCoist quit an extremely lucrative career in television to join Rangers' coaching staff.

His deal is understood to run until the summer of 2010, while Smith's three-year contract is until January of that year.

Rangers allowed McCoist to pick the team and undertake all media duties during last season's successful Scottish Cup campaign.

The situation could change, of course, if Murray finds the right buyer for the club in the interim.

On the field, the chairman wants to see more progress on the youth-development front at Rangers.

'The future is that Rangers and Celtic will continue to compete against each other,' added Murray.

'Rangers are at a big disadvantage this year because we don't have European income. 'But I still think we have a good enough squad to win the league.

'I don't think much will change, other than we will reduce the size of our squad and definitely have to bring in younger Scottish players to make up the balance of the squad.

'If we don't start doing that, then there is no point in having Murray Park.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...x.html?ITO=1490

So if SDM is still at the helm, when Smith quits, Ally takes over. Seems open and shut going by the above.

But we all know football folk talk absolute guff much of the time.

McCoist to be next Rangers manager

Published Date: 21 November 2008

By Stephen Halliday

SIR David Murray, the Rangers chairman, has confirmed that Ally McCoist will become the next manager of the Ibrox club if he helps current incumbent Walter Smith reclaim the SPL title from Celtic.

McCoist, Rangers' all-time record goalscorer during his glittering 15-year playing career, gave up a lucrative television career to return to the club in January 2007 as Smith's assistant.

While Murray has not reached any formal agreement for McCoist to become the 14th man in Rangers' history to manage the club, he says the line of succession is already a conditional arrangement as far as he is concerned.

"I would have thought, all things being equal, that he (McCoist) will become manager," said Murray. "I hope he gets it. It hasn't been talked about, but it is an understanding among us.

"Walter and I discussed it when he came back, that McCoist would come in, hopefully we would get back to a successful period and then he would get the chance.

"It will be success driven. If we are successful, if Walter is successful, then the natural successor would be McCoist. But if we go another two or three years without winning the league, then we will all be under pressure."

Murray, who marks the 20th anniversary of his ownership of Rangers this weekend, admits he would have regarded McCoist as the unlikeliest of potential managers when he bought the club on 22 November 1988.

Like most people who get close enough to McCoist to discover the depth of personality and character beneath his light-hearted public image, however, Murray has come to admire and appreciate the intelligence and ambition of the 46-year-old.

"He didn't come back to Rangers for the money," added Murray. "He came here for a lot less than he was earning (in television). You wouldn't have thought of him as a manager 20 years ago, would you? But he has a very strong mentality. He is bright and makes a good coaching team with Kenny McDowall, so why shouldn't he become manager?"

Under Murray's stewardship, Rangers have won 30 trophies, including 13 championships. They have now seen Celtic win three successive titles for the first time since the Jock Stein era, however, and ending the current dominance of their great rivals is key to Murray's vision of McCoist taking the helm.

He admits Rangers are handicapped financially this season following their shock elimination from Europe by Kaunas in the second qualifying round of the Champions League but believes Smith still has the necessary resources to win the domestic title.

"Celtic are strong right now, they have done well and you can't take anything away from them," said Murray. "We must respond. It all depends on what happens on the park. We have players good enough to beat Celtic, we have already done that this season.

"On their day, they have players capable of beating us. The future of Scottish football is that Rangers and Celtic will continue to compete against each other. We are at a big disadvantage this year because we don't have European income, but I still think we've got a good enough squad to win the league.

"We were rudderless and going nowhere until Walter came back. We asked him to steady the ship. He gained a bit of ground and then could well have won the league last season. I don't think there is any doubt our European run affected it. Fair-minded people would see that.

"Celtic have the money from the Champions League this season, which everyone is assuming they will spend in January, but let's see if they do. But there is no doubt this is the wrong year for us to be spending money, what with going out of Europe and the financial restrictions right across the globe. It is very concerning. Every one of us has to be more financially prudent in our daily lives and we are no different as a football club.

"I don't think much will change, other than we will reduce the size of our squad and definitely have to bring in younger Scottish players to make up the balance of the squad. If we don't start doing that, then there is no point having the Murray Park training academy."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/McCoist-to...gers.4717510.jp

whos to say ally wouldnt be a good manager?

Well Walter left him in charge of the team for the league and Scottish cup games last season didnt he? and we almost got dumped out of both and almost lost a final.

I don't think he's manager material and risks his legend status.

almost,almost and almost.. but actually won,won and won and is as great a Rangers Lgend as there is and knows what it takes to be successful...after all he won everything multiple times.. do you see how negative you are??

good god please no

we need rid of them all mccoist, smith, mcdowall, smith, murray, bain

Let's fire them altogether eh? :rolleyes:<cr>

yes we need a whole clear out, chairman to manager

We've been a club in transition for 8 years or so. The last thing we need is to get rid of everyone.

Ally could actually turn out to be a good manager (tu)

McCoist to be next Rangers manager

Published Date: 21 November 2008

By Stephen Halliday

SIR David Murray, the Rangers chairman, has confirmed that Ally McCoist will become the next manager of the Ibrox club if he helps current incumbent Walter Smith reclaim the SPL title from Celtic.

McCoist, Rangers' all-time record goalscorer during his glittering 15-year playing career, gave up a lucrative television career to return to the club in January 2007 as Smith's assistant.

While Murray has not reached any formal agreement for McCoist to become the 14th man in Rangers' history to manage the club, he says the line of succession is already a conditional arrangement as far as he is concerned.

"I would have thought, all things being equal, that he (McCoist) will become manager," said Murray. "I hope he gets it. It hasn't been talked about, but it is an understanding among us.

"Walter and I discussed it when he came back, that McCoist would come in, hopefully we would get back to a successful period and then he would get the chance.

"It will be success driven. If we are successful, if Walter is successful, then the natural successor would be McCoist. But if we go another two or three years without winning the league, then we will all be under pressure."

Murray, who marks the 20th anniversary of his ownership of Rangers this weekend, admits he would have regarded McCoist as the unlikeliest of potential managers when he bought the club on 22 November 1988.

Like most people who get close enough to McCoist to discover the depth of personality and character beneath his light-hearted public image, however, Murray has come to admire and appreciate the intelligence and ambition of the 46-year-old.

"He didn't come back to Rangers for the money," added Murray. "He came here for a lot less than he was earning (in television). You wouldn't have thought of him as a manager 20 years ago, would you? But he has a very strong mentality. He is bright and makes a good coaching team with Kenny McDowall, so why shouldn't he become manager?"

Under Murray's stewardship, Rangers have won 30 trophies, including 13 championships. They have now seen Celtic win three successive titles for the first time since the Jock Stein era, however, and ending the current dominance of their great rivals is key to Murray's vision of McCoist taking the helm.

He admits Rangers are handicapped financially this season following their shock elimination from Europe by Kaunas in the second qualifying round of the Champions League but believes Smith still has the necessary resources to win the domestic title.

"Celtic are strong right now, they have done well and you can't take anything away from them," said Murray. "We must respond. It all depends on what happens on the park. We have players good enough to beat Celtic, we have already done that this season.

"On their day, they have players capable of beating us. The future of Scottish football is that Rangers and Celtic will continue to compete against each other. We are at a big disadvantage this year because we don't have European income, but I still think we've got a good enough squad to win the league.

"We were rudderless and going nowhere until Walter came back. We asked him to steady the ship. He gained a bit of ground and then could well have won the league last season. I don't think there is any doubt our European run affected it. Fair-minded people would see that.

"Celtic have the money from the Champions League this season, which everyone is assuming they will spend in January, but let's see if they do. But there is no doubt this is the wrong year for us to be spending money, what with going out of Europe and the financial restrictions right across the globe. It is very concerning. Every one of us has to be more financially prudent in our daily lives and we are no different as a football club.

"I don't think much will change, other than we will reduce the size of our squad and definitely have to bring in younger Scottish players to make up the balance of the squad. If we don't start doing that, then there is no point having the Murray Park training academy."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/McCoist-to...gers.4717510.jp

All of you please note the above in bold. If Walter and his team are not successful then things change.

I for one think that Stuart McCall would be a much better choice.

I think if Ally McCoist takes over as manager then Rangers training sessions will become a bit of a joke and not much will get done..

He will be nice to everyone because that is simply what he is, very kind hearted.

He will also be making very good friends like walter has done with big Lee.

I worry alot and i think that if Walter Smith is going to retire then Rangers need to bring in a manager of quite high quality but keep grooming Ally for another few years with this new manager.

Well Walter left him in charge of the team for the league and Scottish cup games last season didnt he? and we almost got dumped out of both and almost lost a final.

We won both cups, so surely he deserves at least a slice of praise for that? As for Ally becoming the manager, we all knew this would eventually happen. There's nothing that says he won't be a good manager, but I think even his most ardent supporters would want him to test his luck at another smaller club before taking over Rangers.

Reply to knock Partick Thistle out

Pens to clinch a final against Dundee United

Pens to see off St Johnstone

Scraped past Queen of The South

Don't make me laugh mate. Like Durrant (who had his little 90 minutes of fame at East End Park the other year) I don't think they are cut out to be Rangers managers ... and so does the majority of fans.

Don't get me wrong, they both deserve more of a chance but I'm going on gut instinct and my gut instinct very rarely lets me down.

I have followed Rangers all over Europe for just under 30 years and loved Ian Durrant as player but I am sorry to say that the first 45 minutes of that match against Dunfermline was the worst display I have ever seen from a Rangers team.

Murray says as much in interview, I feared this would be the plan!

A posted this months ago, how, who the fcuk did ye think it wis gonna be ? Fcukin Jose Mourinho ? doh Anywie Ally will do US, good Prod and somebody who knows what it means to put the bheggars to the sword as a player. He will succeed at that as Manager as well and will do it with glee ! :sherlock:

i cant believe the stuff that is being said on this thread...If Ally takes over, it probably wont be for a few more years yet and by that time he would have bit up a wealth of experience under smith..not only is he a rangers diehard, he has plyed his trade at the highest level in europe/premiership and international level, as well as an assistant to national team, and now as an assistant manager for rangers! surely the experience he is building working with a world class manager like smith is much better than the experience he would probably get if he were to manage ayr utd or someone like that! After a few more years mentoring he would have hopefully built on his managerial experience by helping us win the title a few times, along with a few good european runs and he will then be ready to take us forward...

Stop being so negative about something that hasnt even happened yet!

haha, I really want to use the bring it on line haha

"Dude, we won??"

davie boy how many titles have we won in the last 10 years you idiot.

On the other side of the coin aswell, how many Rangers fans were annoyed in 1991 at the thought of Smith taking over from Souness (being his number 2 for a few years)

I appreciate that Walter still had a lot more managerial experience even back then with Dundee United but my point still stands.

I actually agree with this, but, at the same time, I wasnt annoyed that Smith was taking over, I was annoyed Souness had left!

I think people are more hysterical about things these days, and, have seriously unrealistic ideas, at the risk of paraphrasing, only the likes of Jose would be good enough for us, and, even then perhaps not, along with any player who isnt Ronaldo isnt good enough.

I want the best for the club, at the same time, a little realism would be good. Its as though, anyone associated with the club in the last 10 years isnt good enough, neither are any of our former great players, although, many many other big teams do this. I remember discussing McCoist as a future rangers manager years ago, before he retired from playing, and, well, it wasnt the same response as some are giving.

Why is a young, relatively inexperienced manager any better than an older manager with a CV of winning nothing? Just because he has "experience". one of Mourinhos big plus points (along with Le Guen actually), was, when they started, they wanted to make their mark, doing things their way, and, werent afraid to change things and shake things up, and, show all the "experienced" managers how to do it. I think Ally would bust a nut to do the same, especially with the club he loves