If we hadn't sold our best players - what a team we would have

GOAT

Just a pick up from another thread, but it pisses me off to think about the team we could have had this season. Excuse my poor drawing!

unionflagiu2.jpg

w428.png

Weir as back-up. Hutton bombing down the wing, Davis having a few role as an attacking midfielder, Thomson doing the mopping up. Full fit Fergie and Mendes spraying the ball in the central. Miller and Cousin up front feeding off each other, with Boyd another option to come on for more goals.

Doesn't it just piss you off to think what our team could have been. Instead we've got Charlie Adam, McCulloch and Darcheville.

We would never have got half that team without selling other players though mate.

What saddens me is that a year after making a major european final, and we're linked with premiership rejects...

look at Sevilla, Porto, CSKA etc. Yes these clubs may financially be more in the clear, but they attracted some awesome names after good cup runs...

Something we seem inable to do, or ever to do so again?

We would never have got half that team without selling other players though mate.

What saddens me is that a year after making a major european final, and we're linked with premiership rejects...

look at Sevilla, Porto, CSKA etc. Yes these clubs may financially be more in the clear, but they attracted some awesome names after good cup runs...

I don't believe that for a minute, to be honest pal.

Cousin :lol:

Cuellar and Hutton though (tu)

Oh dear, you're not doing youself any favours this afternoon.

Cousin really was one of our best players, even if you hate to admit it as a Boyd lover ;)

Cousin has talent quite a fair bit there is no disputing that

but his attitude stank to high heaven..how little we forget all the games where he wouldnt show up or all the games he tried getting himself sent off...the only reason why he is playing well for hull now is because he is in the EPL if he was still here it would be the same inconsistant moody performances... I cant wait for him to start sulking and be moody at hull when that bubble bursts...it will happen. Complete arsehole of a player

Cousin :lol:

Cuellar and Hutton though (tu)

Oh dear, you're not doing youself any favours this afternoon.

Cousin really was one of our best players, even if you hate to admit it as a Boyd lover ;)

I'm not doing myself any favours? What, im putting up my opinion, even if it differs with yours and other peoples :P

Cousin was a good player in some ways, in other ways his attitude was shite, and i don't think he'd be on 11 SPL goals this season so far, like Boyd.

We wouldn't have been able to bring in half the players we've brought in if we hadn't sold Cuellar and Hutton

Kinda wish we had Hutton now though.

Then you can take Bougherra and Miller out that team.

:lol: I didn't think they came directly from the money from Hutton?

Agree'd (tu) , If we didn't spend money on unnecessary shite players and paid off a few of the lets say " underperformers " we would have had more than enough money to bring in the players we bought generated from the sale of Hutton and Cuellar.

We wouldn't have been able to bring in half the players we've brought in if we hadn't sold Cuellar and Hutton

Kinda wish we had Hutton now though.

Then you can take Bougherra and Miller out that team.

:lol: I didn't think they came directly from the money from Hutton?

Both came early in the transfer window (ie before cuellar sale) and would have been unlikely to come without with the 9mil we had. Miller might have came regardless, but not Bougherra.

Similarly, you can take out Davis and Mendes if you want to keep Cuellar.

See i'd rather have Davis and Mendes over Cuellar.

Agree'd (tu) , If we didn't spend money on unnecessary shite players and paid off a few of the lets say " underperformers " we would have had more than enough money to bring in the players we bought generated from the sale of Hutton and Cuellar.

But thats the thing. We didn't. We brought in other players and kept those who we should have gotten rid of. Players like Mendes and Davis DID come the sales of Hutton and Cuellar. We would not have either if we didn't sell.

I am aware Mendes and Davis came from the sale of Cuellar , My point was if we had used our original budget more appropriately we could have had both , Down to bad management I guess.

I think GOAT has made a very good point, in the team he has posted, only 4 players were not at the club this time last year -

Bougherra, Mendes, Davis and Miller - total transfer fee approx 10.5M

Had we kept Hutton, I think we would have won the league and been guaranteed 10M CL money, which would have paid for those players. The money we have spent on Edu. Lafferty, Velicka (6M) could have paid off part of the debt so we would have been in a far better position and with a far better team than we have now.

Selling Hutton was a disastrous decision