Summer Football - Yes or No

Bluepeter9

Summer Football  

170 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

yes for me would help us when we enter european football as it is the now were caught cold just look at Kaunas they were half way through there season when we played them. Russian football teams do well in europe alot as well and they play summer football im sure

Personally, I don't think it would help us. Russian teams have been doing well in Europe recently because they have a lot of money in their game right now and are genuinely good teams. It would be great when we were going through the early qualifying rounds, but come November/December time (what should be the crucial phase for us as it's when the group stages of the Champions League/UEFA Cup are coming to an end) we'd either be in preseason or at the very end of our campaign. In a normal season, we should be able to cruise through against the likes of Kaunas, that was just an embarrassing scenario created by dismal management.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, My team havn't played in 8 weeks because of the weather.

How are kids meant to improve touch, technique etc when the parks are not fit for rugby and the wind is blowing a gale? Summer football should have been introduced years ago, participation would go up, parks would be in better nick, more parents would get involved.

Russian teams play summer football because I'd like to see any of you lot suit up for an early January kickoff somewhere in Moscow. Glasgow climate is absolutely peachy compared to -25 celsius on the average.

Why the fuck would you want to play football during the winter anyway? Really why the fuck does Europe play most of it's football in the shite cold/wind/rain/snow/dark when we can be playing in the summer when the days are long and warm.

Bit fkin stupid.

Only reason i would say no is down to European football. Lack of games = poor performance.

But apart from that it's a big yes for me.

Winter fitba is pish - cold, wet, muddy can't-be-arsed-with-this pish.

Summer fitba - yes please. The sooner the better.

There's a reason that most major, international finals for sporting tournaments take place in the summer months.

Brazil Vs Nigeria on some stinking, divot ripped, mud-bath, mess of a pitch in Europe in January would literally destroy the whole point of the beautiful game. So, they don't allow it.

Yes from me too. We've tried the winter break, but who can tell when the weather is going to be at its worst? Some years it's mild until February then freezing until March..........in other years we get hit in December/January. That was the reason the winter break wasn't adopted after the experiment.

Scottish football as a product is low in value at the moment, so anything that will encourage bigger crowds and better football has to be encouraged.

Guest Andypendek

Totally yes. And we could run lower league stuff though the winter to toughen up the youngsters, say the 3rd division becomes an u-21 league with 2 overage players allowed (for the likes of Naismith to get fit). That would assume we entered a team in that league, of course, but that would make it more attractive to the wee teams to go for it. A Winter League.

How would a summer league work when there was a World Cup or Euro Championship?

Easy - they could be played in the winter break in countries where the weather or stadia could accommodate/guarantee decent playing conditions. Or, given the three week nature of the tournaments, a 15 day extension either side of the finals could just as easily be put in place.

The need to have those playing conditions in place says it all in the doesn't it.

Nope, I don't even want a winter break.

For starters the months of January and Febuary are dreadful enough before taking away the football.

Secondly, let's say we sign a player from France when the transfer window opens in June. He's had a long grueling season and is expected to join us midway through ours and help battle for the title.

Total knee jerk reaction to last seasons fixture fiasco IMO. If we just all agree not to postpone games i.e. Celtc using POD's death or us ludicously postponing a game against Gretna.

To be honest, it would cause issues after Christmas in Europe and during the first stages the squad would be knackered and injuries adding up.

Although I dont think we will see a Scottish team in Europe after xmas for a long time anyway.

Summer football for me. The problem with Winter breaks is when to have them. LAst December was fine from memory then you get the snow this year. Do we stop December, January or February as they all take it in turns to be shite.

Benefits of summer football.

Less call offs.(save money on staff turning up for the game and food bills which have to be pre-ordered)

Less electricity bills for teams(floodlights)

Less undersoil heating (more saving)

Bigger crowds(look at Mecanno land yesterday and tbh most OF home fixtures through December and January)

More kids(future supporters) at midweek games (summer night, kids are off school the next day and no risk of them catching cold)

Bigger TV revenue (Sky would DEFO buy it so it could have live action right through summer)

As others have said, countries like Finland, Iceland, Denmark(i think) Russia etc etc all play "summer" football and it doesnt affect any international tournaments. Add to that the SPL has less and less players going to these tournaments anyway and we could possibly end up playing right through.

Oh sorry......you said simple yes or no...

Yes. :craphead:

Summer football for me. The problem with Winter breaks is when to have them. LAst December was fine from memory then you get the snow this year. Do we stop December, January or February as they all take it in turns to be shite.

Benefits of summer football.

Less call offs.(save money on staff turning up for the game and food bills which have to be pre-ordered)

Less electricity bills for teams(floodlights)

Less undersoil heating (more saving)

Bigger crowds(look at Mecanno land yesterday and tbh most OF home fixtures through December and January)

More kids(future supporters) at midweek games (summer night, kids are off school the next day and no risk of them catching cold)

Bigger TV revenue (Sky would DEFO buy it so it could have live action right through summer)

As others have said, countries like Finland, Iceland, Denmark(i think) Russia etc etc all play "summer" football and it doesnt affect any international tournaments. Add to that the SPL has less and less players going to these tournaments anyway and we could possibly end up playing right through.

Oh sorry......you said simple yes or no...

Yes. :craphead:

:lol: at the bit in bold !! :lol:

I would love summer football but I would be concerned about the european competitions... if we stay in them past Christmas that is...

Our season would be over, players knackered and ready for hols then a solid pre season with the potential that they could still be competing in Europe.

There are arguements for the other side i.e they'd be fresh and could focus on Europe etc...

I say no. It would feel wrong somehow.

It's not as wrong as having 5 games called off every week.

In saying that, it's not really an SPL problem (unless someone turns the heating off at Fir Park), but it could hinder us when we play away at lower league teams in the cup.

I say no. It would feel wrong somehow.

It's not as wrong as having 5 games called off every week.

In saying that, it's not really an SPL problem (unless someone turns the heating off at Fir Park), but it could hinder us when we play away at lower league teams in the cup.

Oh, I entirely understand the reasons for it. I just think playing football in the SPL in June would be extremely strange. And we'd probably find something to complain about if we did it :)