ENOUGH IS ENOUGH: Time to bring the roar back

mccoist355

I know you are saying take out the people dying - but the version i posted is used by ALOT of English league clubs, and Scottish premier clubs.

If they take us down, they take the rest with them. If they don't, surley we can get something done about it.

Excelent post m8, we all want TBB roar back, hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

My 1st post on here was on this subject,& I'd still prefer this if we can't have the original.

Hello Hello we are the Billy boys,

Hello Hello you'll know us by our noise

the cry was no surrender, surrender or you'll die

for we are the Brigton Billy boys

Two songs for the price of one. :unionflag:

I think this version is the best one posted so far. It would be GREAT to hear The Billy Boys back, that video gives you goosebumps. Fact is, if we did bring it back in a way no-one could touch us for, can you imagine the passion and defiance (and I mean defiance in a good sense) in that roar? It would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I doubt we could get it organised for the 27th. It's actually giving me goosebumps thinking about the Rangers fans singing it in 2 weeks time at Ibrox, loud and proud!

:unionflag:

Before reading this, watch this video for a reminder of what we are now missing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIuv30mSn4U

1:05 in: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kaTfJqASNSQ

What’s the problem?

All Rangers fans agree, the atmosphere at our games isn’t what it was and needs improving. We all want the Rangers support to be louder – to help cheer on the team, and to restore our reputation around the world as one of the most vocally intimidating supports around, a reputation deservedly built upon awesome displays like those in the video above. There are a number of reasons that are not easy to change for the deterioration in atmosphere – different make-up of people at matches, removal of terracing etc... however there’s one reason that we can change back ourselves – the loss of our terrace calling-card chant – The Billy Boys. It was banned because of a political correctness bandwagon and the perceived offensiveness of one line within the song. The point is this: by changing the words the song can return .

Do we want the Roar back?

But do we want the Hullo Hullo roar back? Forget for a second the flak we’d get when fans would go back to singing the wrong words. Think about it this way: Would we want a Hullo Hullo roar back, identical to the old chant but with new Rangers-related words than could not be spun as offensive etc by the media, providing also nobody went back to singing the old words? The answer would of course be yes. So the question is how we could bring the roar back whilst limiting the chances of fans singing the old words.

Why the Old words cant come back

There is no doubt at all, we do not want to bring back the chant with the old words. This would be disastrous, with recriminations from UEFA, the SPL, and countless other Rangers-haters, and our good name would once again be dragged into the dirt. Any debates about the merits of the words, or points about freedom of speech, forget them. Those arguments have either been lost, or totally bypassed in some cases. Bringing them back up will be pointless and damaging. The days of singing about fenian blood is over. But so what? Those words are not essential to the singing of the chant. Acoustically, the loudest, most recognisable, and most integral part of the chant is, of course, the roar of the ‘Hullo Hullo’ bit. So those words could of course be changed and the chant could live on. In theory.

Closing the back door

The problem is obviously that any singing of a ‘hullo hullo’ chant will provoke fans singing the old words, mainly because there are currently no other well-known alternatives to the chant popularised among the Rangers support. The odd effort has been made unsuccessfully in the past, but these were importantly before the current banning when there was no real forcing need for change, circumstances which have now of course changed.

Why we need it back at all?

There is a science to football chants. Some chants are more suitable to particular moments than others. Our best chants, like Follow follow and Derrys Walls, would fall into a particular category I would suggest of being more like songs than chants. There are many moments when the football supporter needs a chant that can be shouted/roared out, something that will catch on with a couple of loud shouts, rather than a song which needs more time to be stoked up. Since we lost TBB our support has been missing this. I think this has affected the loudness of our support as, when we score or during a particular moment, the fans vocal reaction is impeded by the waiting for a song to stoke up. A chant like “Hullo Hullo” is much quicker at catching on and is the ideal choice to have for some moments.

There is also the point the chant was considered, by us and them, as our calling card. The noise we generated when roaring it out in full voice was respected, if not liked. The atmosphere generated by a football support is of course proportional to the noise they make, and since the Hullo Hullo roar has gone, we simply haven’t been as noisy as a support. No longer is the atmosphere at Ibrox consistently one to be feared or marvelled at. Getting the noise of the Hullo Hullo roar back would be beneficial to the club in creating a better atmosphere to attract more fans to games and sell more season tickets, as well as spurring the team on to more success. The “12th man” effect has always been of particular importance to Scottish Clubs, and we as Rangers fans are all sick of hearing of the ‘special atmosphere’ across the city on European nights and, we must face facts, there is ground to be re-gained by our support in this aspect. Getting back our most anthemic and loudest roar would close that ground and take us beyond them.

How to bring it back and avoid the Old Words creeping back

So how to bring the chant back without the old words again? The answer I believe lies in the way in which the new words are acquired and promoted. Firstly, the fans are more likely to want to embrace different words if they are not enforced upon them by men in suits, but words than are created by and sourced from the fans. This means a fan vote for new words. The words would then be chosen by the fans and the fans would feel responsible for their existence and want to sing them more because of that. This vote could be done through internet forums, promoting via flyering, in fanzines and on websites. A bit of organisational would of course be required for this stage by fan organisations. The mechanism itself of doing this vote would assist in spreading the word to the majority of Rangers supporters.

Would fans choose to sing the new fan-voted words over the Old ones?

How many of you reading this would, given the straight choice between a set of Rangers words voted by the fans, or an old set of words banned from stadiums the singing of which could put the club in trouble, would choose the latter? It’s not a difficult decision, and Im pretty sure the vast majority of fans would answer that question the same way.

Who would still choose to sing the old words?

People that would still sing the old words would fit into two categories. One set, those whom were ignorant of the new words. The second set, those who say to hell with the rest of us, ill sing the old words regardless of the detrimental effect on the club and the other fans. The 1st set of people, who were ignorant of the new words, would, with the modern day ease of communication through internet, mobiles texts and word of mouth and email, would very soon become tiny of nonexistent. As to the second group of people, I believe this number would be reduced in proportion to the popularity of the chant and eventually would be reduced to a small insignificant number. The vast majority of fans would of course priorities the atmosphere at Rangers games and the fortunes of the club and the fans.

But what about UEFA – didn’t they ban the tune in all forms?

Yes UEFA did ban the tune in all forms. But the bottom line is this – were UEFA’s motives to silence us entirely? No. They wanted to put an end to what they were convinced was an offensive chant and didn’t want it returning through the back door in any form. However this idea, as has been clearly outlined, is not an idea to bring the old offensive chant back in through the back door. This chant will be a positive chant celebrating a fantastic football team. The method in which the chants can be created, voted for by the fans, and implemented, possibly in a mass pre-arranged chorus to celebrate a particular occasion (forthcoming Old Firm game?), could be a model for applying to other non-football related chants.

Is the support of the Club required for the success of this initiative?

The support of the club in bringing back the Hullo Hullo roar is desirable, but not necessary. Clearly the club would not want to get their nose dirty on this. But look at it this way. The message that the Club could put out regarding this whole initiative would be:

“We are a club and a support looking to change for the better. We hope to replace a song previously construed as offensive with new positive words that celebrate our football club. This is an initiative aimed at moving the club forward whilst seeking to generate a better more attractive atmosphere”

Why should we think this will work?

Because the vast majority of fans – who have reasoned that singing the chant at games currently is not a good idea - would love to have the tune back in a way which kept the club out of trouble. But because of the complications, this needs to be a calculated re-birth of the song that accepts the following principles

The old words are gone and we don’t want them back.

The old tune and the hullo hullo roar are worth fighting for.

This could be a giant step in restoring our pride and our reputation.

Just imagine when we end Follow follow at the Old Firm game by roaring out a NEW hullo hullo - LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN NOW - This season!

Is it not the case that not only the words, but the song, the tune and everything about the Billy Boys has been completely banned? I'm sure Frankie or the likes will confirm this. If the tune, the song and the words have been banned then unfortunately your whole idea will fall on deaf ears, which will sadden the most of us who hope for a more atmospheric Ibrox once again.

See some of my theads over the last few years in RangersMedia forum regarding atmosphere. (we strive for the same thing matey):

The Blue Order are the only way to make things happen. Information on cards handed to fans on match day is the only viable option in my opinion.

Excelent post m8, we all want TBB roar back, hairs on the back of the neck stuff.

My 1st post on here was on this subject,& I'd still prefer this if we can't have the original.

Hello Hello we are the Billy boys,

Hello Hello you'll know us by our noise

the cry was no surrender, surrender or you'll die

for we are the Brigton Billy boys

Two songs for the price of one. :unionflag:

I think this version is the best one posted so far. It would be GREAT to hear The Billy Boys back, that video gives you goosebumps. Fact is, if we did bring it back in a way no-one could touch us for, can you imagine the passion and defiance (and I mean defiance in a good sense) in that roar? It would be fantastic. Unfortunately, I doubt we could get it organised for the 27th. It's actually giving me goosebumps thinking about the Rangers fans singing it in 2 weeks time at Ibrox, loud and proud!

:unionflag:

That's the version that works for me. (tu)

That is SOME roar.

Get that back!

34 seconds in wow... thats just awesome!

That is a great vid mcboyd, gave me goosebumps listening to the roar of the billy boys.

oh how we miss that song!!

We need that roar right now!

Is it not the case that not only the words, but the song, the tune and everything about the Billy Boys has been completely banned? I'm sure Frankie or the likes will confirm this. If the tune, the song and the words have been banned then unfortunately your whole idea will fall on deaf ears, which will sadden the most of us who hope for a more atmospheric Ibrox once again.

See some of my theads over the last few years in RangersMedia forum regarding atmosphere. (we strive for the same thing matey):

The Blue Order are the only way to make things happen. Information on cards handed to fans on match day is the only viable option in my opinion.

The "tune" being banned is an irrelevance - its the lyrics that they wanted banned. They just had to say the tune to cos they didnt trust us to sing anything else.

The bottom line is a new version, pro-rangers, non-offensive even for the MOPES, would be untouchable - and that would hurt them far more than references to fenian blood ever could!

Two words mate...

"The sash"

Anyone who believes the Rangers fans are incapable of change are proven liars.

Simply the best...

The very song that got us punished in the 1st place...now played before every home game at Ibrox and not a word of trouble.

If you ask for a promotion at work you give evidence why you should get it, ask for TBB to be sung again we have at least 2 examples that the fans and club have taken the initiative and can overcome the bigoted add-ons...surely that is proof enough to show that we can change!

Shame Rangers wont share our view!

Sing it with different words i say...

Get the word spread and leaflets made see what people think!

If the club isnt going to fight for us, then we will fight on behalf of the club!