Smith - Give Ferguson more time

Muff

Again, only because of KTs injury.

edu?

supposedly in the same mould as kt but was fully match fit and wouldve gave us a chance to asses the guy.

Why should Walter give us an opportunity to assess a player? Thats is his, his coaches and his scouts job!

He shouldn't be played until he is ready.

He has said himselve he is struggling. Dont want him to lose confidence.

I'm quite confident he'll be a useful player for us but needs time!

I don't think there's anything wrong with Smith saying only an idiot would expect Barry to be back to his best instantly.

there isnt anything wrong with it if he includes himself in the "idiots" after all he's the one who put him back in the team when he wasnt back to his best instantly,and still isnt.

<cr>

He needs games to get back to his best though.

in the reserves yes not in games that we cant afford to be giving players run outs to get back to fitness,we are supposed to be going for a title this year and we are ushering back injured players in our first team when we have cover there in the shape of a 2.5 million quid signing who could have played while barry was getting back to fitness.

Reserve games aren't really a substitute for genuine SPL match-fitness though. I think he took Ferguson back quicker than he would've liked because of the Thomson injury. Ideally he would have feautred gradually for the first team while getting reserve game time under his belt too.

As for Edu, yeah I suppose he could've stepped in. But by the player's own admission he hasn't really got to grips with Scottish football.

edu?

supposedly in the same mould as kt but was fully match fit and wouldve gave us a chance to asses the guy.

Why should Walter give us an opportunity to assess a player? Thats is his, his coaches and his scouts job!

i agree but i ment with kt's injury there was a choice,a 2.5 million quid signing who was fully fit,or a player who was nowhere near match fit,had been out for near on 5 months and had a couple of less than convincing outings in the reserves........i know who id have chosen (tu)

edu?

i agree but i ment with kt's injury there was a choice,a 2.5 million quid signing who was fully fit,or a player who was nowhere near match fit,had been out for near on 5 months and had a couple of less than convincing outings in the reserves........i know who id have chosen (tu)

Dailly?

BARRY FERGUSON has vowed to make his doubters eat their words after stinging criticism left him more determined than ever to shine for Rangers.

The club captain has constantly found himself under the microscope ever since he came back into the first team at the start of November.

Barry Ferguson, RangersAfter five months out injured, the skipper made a slow start on his return to action and has had people questioning whether he can still be a key player for the club.

They've also queried whether he and Pedro Mendes can gel at the heart of Walter Smith's midfield - and the signs are finally there that they can.

The pair performed well in the 2-2 draw with Dundee United on Saturday and Ferguson is starting to get back to his best again.

He has always insisted it will take him time to hit top form again and as the weeks have progressed, that has proved to be the case.

Now, having heard from some that he's a spent force, he's eager to show he still has what it takes to lead by example.

Ferguson said: "People perhaps don't realise how much being out for as long as I have holds you back when you start to return.

"You're well behind everybody and it's a really slow build-up when you take the first steps towards the team again.

"It takes a long time to get your sharpness back and that has been the case with me over the first few games.

"I'm always open for criticism if I'm not fully up to speed but I've said all along that it'll take me a few matches to catch up with the rest of the squad.

"It has been frustrating for me knowing I've had to wait and be patient as I've tried to get to the level I should be at.Barry Ferguson

"Now I feel I'm getting towards it and that I'm coming out of the other side. I'm a strong character and in the weeks to come, I'll shut my critics up.

"The thing is I've been finished two or three times already according to some people. Being told the same thing once more doesn't make any difference to me.

"It's what I do on the park now that counts and I'll prove those people wrong, there's no doubt about that.

"Everybody's got their opinion. I heard these sort of things when I came back from my last ankle operation and for my first month back in the team, some said I'd lost it.

"A couple of months later, I started to play the way I should have been and everything that had happened in the past was forgotten about.

"These things stick in my mind. I'm here to show that folk are wrong with what they've been saying and I'll do that, have no doubt. I'll make them eat their words."

http://www.rangers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne...1491658,00.html

He talks a good game. Instead of mouthing off yet again, why not just keep your trap shut and concentrate on your performances.

Then hit back once you have reached your form of old on a consistant basis.

He'll never learn!

Players answer the questions the media put to them

It is their duty to talk to the press, and are usually selected by the club

Why do we give players a hard time on here for answering questions put to them by the press?

They are entitled to speak

Why does Ferguson always mouth off, he does it every season. If it's not, 'I'll be back better than ever', 'I'll make them eat their words' or, 'we must go the rest of the season unbeaten'....

I have been waiting for a long time now to see the old Barry Ferguson and I'm fed up of waiting - he's finished.

Why does Ferguson always mouth off, he does it every season. If it's not, 'I'll be back better than ever', 'I'll make them eat their words' or, 'we must go the rest of the season unbeaten'....

I have been waiting for a long time now to see the old Barry Ferguson and I'm fed up of waiting - he's finished.

my thoughts exactly.

A bit unfair on Ferguson, he only became a regular starter because of KTs injury, otherwise he probably would have continued to make sub appearances for a longer period of time. We could argue that maybe Edu should have been given more of a chance but he hasn't come to grips with the Scottish game yet by his own admission.

What other options were there?

Then we should have played him, or he'll never get used to it!

Smith rushed Ferguson back, I think he now realises it.

How is that different to Ferguson "getting back up to speed"? Not defending anyone, but, these are, more or less the same thing for different reasons, both players who arent ready, for whatever reason, being played in games where those in a better condition to do so would be better

And I think, I will leave it there, as, this is yet another negative thread

A bit unfair on Ferguson, he only became a regular starter because of KTs injury, otherwise he probably would have continued to make sub appearances for a longer period of time. We could argue that maybe Edu should have been given more of a chance but he hasn't come to grips with the Scottish game yet by his own admission.

How is that different to Ferguson "getting back up to speed"? Not defending anyone, but, these are, more or less the same thing for different reasons, both players who arent ready, for whatever reason, being played in games where those in a better condition to do so would be better

Ferguson's played about 350-odd games in Scotland though, he doesn't need to learn the SPL. All he needed to do was get his fitness up and reserve matches would have dealt with that.

Playing Edu (IMHO) would have been more beneficial for both the player himself and the side overall, because we'd get the balance back in the side (playmaker/tackler) and Edu would have learned a lot more about the SPL than he will do in the reserves.

It makes sense to me :D

The difference was that Edu was match fit, had played for us a couple of times and done reasonably well I thought. But instead of giving the guy a chance to prove himself, Ferguson waltzed back in. Again, Smith kind of shot himself in the foot here. If he'd given Edu a couple of games and he didn't do particularly well, then resorted to playing Ferguson (perhaps after a few more games in the reserves) they'd both be getting a lot less criticism than they are, I think.

Ferguson's played about 350-odd games in Scotland though, he doesn't need to learn the SPL. All he needed to do was get his fitness up and reserve matches would have dealt with that.

Playing Edu (IMHO) would have been more beneficial for both the player himself and the side overall, because we'd get the balance back in the side (playmaker/tackler) and Edu would have learned a lot more about the SPL than he will do in the reserves.

(tu) true, but, thats why I said for different reasons

It could have been very bad for Edu, if he bombed due to whatever reason, and, lack of adjusting, we would label him the same as Adam & LM and that would effectively be that, which is something i am glad hasnt happened

We do need a tackler tho, without a doubt

oh

and the ability to pass the ball on the deck (tu)

oh yeah, hard for Mendes and Ferguson to actually look good when they spend most of a game watching the ball sail over their heads from weir :P

It could have been very bad for Edu, if he bombed due to whatever reason, and, lack of adjusting, we would label him the same as Adam & LM and that would effectively be that, which is something i am glad hasnt happened

oh

oh yeah, hard for Mendes and Ferguson to actually look good when they spend most of a game watching the ball sail over their heads from weir :P

This is true.

It's not as much of a problem not, it appears that Ferguson and Mendes are beginning to gel.

I was absolutely shitting myself that we'd created a Gerrard/Lampard conundrum for ourselves though.

oh

This is true.

It's not as much of a problem not, it appears that Ferguson and Mendes are beginning to gel.

I was absolutely shitting myself that we'd created a Gerrard/Lampard conundrum for ourselves though.

Aye, I dont think it was as close as those 2 though, because, they appear to have different attributes, not glaringly different, but, obviously enough, thankfully

oh

This is true.

Aye, I dont think it was as close as those 2 though, because, they appear to have different attributes, not glaringly different, but, obviously enough, thankfully

:lol:

What was the point in buying Edu then - we could have bought a RB, CB or winger. A position we needed, not another central midfielder.

I also agree with this, but the conspiracy theorist in me says that Smith knows that Barry isn't going to last much longer at all.

Possibly one or two more seasons, with Mendes going shortly after that, leaving us with a lovely sounding partnership of captain Kevin Thomson and Edu in our engineroom.

RANGERS boss Walter Smith has urged Barry Ferguson's critics to show more patience over the midfielder's return to form.

Ibrox captain Ferguson has struggled to find top gear since making his comeback from ankle surgery.

But Smith insists the 30-year-old needs more time to find his feet after a five-month injury lay-off.

"You have a situation there where a player's out for about five or six months or so and all of a sudden needs to come back into the fray and back into a very competitive environment," he told Rangers' website.

"The expectation from everyone is that he plays in the same manner as he did do before he got out, and it can't be done.

"That's one of the difficulties playing at Rangers: coming back in to a situation where the expectation level is extremely high.

"Any sensible person would know it'd take Barry three or four games to get up (to speed)."

Ferguson's ability to play in the same midfield as summer signing Pedro Mendes has been questioned but Smith believes the pair dovetailed well in Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League draw at Dundee United.

"I felt both players were excellent and that was a big aspect of the game," the Rangers boss said.

"I thought they played extremely well throughout the match."

He added: "They're good players, both of them.

"It was just a matter of time before Barry started to play.

"Everybody has to show a level of patience, a level of common-sense and anybody who was looking at the game would realise that's the case."

http://www.&lt;No links to this website&gt;/sport/2008/12...86908-20977368/

How much time do you want us to give him Watty? I have been waiting 18 months to see the very best of Ferguson on a consistant basis - a good game here and there means fcuk all!

He also wasn't out for five or six months - and since returning he's had a lot more than the 'three to four games' you say. Infact he's had more than enough to be up to speed and should be stamping his authority in matches, especially as he's one of the fittest players at the club - we'll so everyone keeps on telling us. He's had 6 full 90 minutes on the trot along with a good 50 odd minutes for Scotland, 55 odd minutes for the 1st team as a sub and a couple of full 90 minutes in the reserves. That is more than enough to be reaching the top of your game and bar 20-25 minutes at Tannadice, he has been fcuking terrible and nowhere near fit enough.

Ferguson was rushed back and you know it, yet another example of jobs for the boys, just like you rushed McGregor back. Barry Ferguson should have been getting his fitness back by playing in the reserves, just like Steven Naismith will have to do.

The excuses made for Barry Ferguson are embarrassing and they have to stop, but it's nice to see our manager have a dig at us, just like his players have done in recent weeks.

Walter Smith isn't even worth listening to these days, he's turned into a babbling old man - try and get your team and tactics right for once.

Hopefully he wont be given a new contract. I just couldn't take that. Ferguson at Rangers for the forseeable future would be a disaster.

Anyway, the Ferguson_Mendes partnership has seen us drop more points. 4 points without Ferguson. 9 points with him.

So how does Smith explain that?