Smith - Give Ferguson more time

Muff

RANGERS boss Walter Smith has urged Barry Ferguson's critics to show more patience over the midfielder's return to form.

Ibrox captain Ferguson has struggled to find top gear since making his comeback from ankle surgery.

But Smith insists the 30-year-old needs more time to find his feet after a five-month injury lay-off.

"You have a situation there where a player's out for about five or six months or so and all of a sudden needs to come back into the fray and back into a very competitive environment," he told Rangers' website.

"The expectation from everyone is that he plays in the same manner as he did do before he got out, and it can't be done.

"That's one of the difficulties playing at Rangers: coming back in to a situation where the expectation level is extremely high.

"Any sensible person would know it'd take Barry three or four games to get up (to speed)."

Ferguson's ability to play in the same midfield as summer signing Pedro Mendes has been questioned but Smith believes the pair dovetailed well in Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League draw at Dundee United.

"I felt both players were excellent and that was a big aspect of the game," the Rangers boss said.

"I thought they played extremely well throughout the match."

He added: "They're good players, both of them.

"It was just a matter of time before Barry started to play.

"Everybody has to show a level of patience, a level of common-sense and anybody who was looking at the game would realise that's the case."

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/2008/12...86908-20977368/

How much time do you want us to give him Watty? I have been waiting 18 months to see the very best of Ferguson on a consistant basis - a good game here and there means fcuk all!

He also wasn't out for five or six months - and since returning he's had a lot more than the 'three to four games' you say. Infact he's had more than enough to be up to speed and should be stamping his authority in matches, especially as he's one of the fittest players at the club - we'll so everyone keeps on telling us. He's had 6 full 90 minutes on the trot along with a good 50 odd minutes for Scotland, 55 odd minutes for the 1st team as a sub and a couple of full 90 minutes in the reserves. That is more than enough to be reaching the top of your game and bar 20-25 minutes at Tannadice, he has been fcuking terrible and nowhere near fit enough.

Ferguson was rushed back and you know it, yet another example of jobs for the boys, just like you rushed McGregor back. Barry Ferguson should have been getting his fitness back by playing in the reserves, just like Steven Naismith will have to do.

The excuses made for Barry Ferguson are embarrassing and they have to stop, but it's nice to see our manager have a dig at us, just like his players have done in recent weeks.

Walter Smith isn't even worth listening to these days, he's turned into a babbling old man - try and get your team and tactics right for once.

"I felt both players were excellent and that was a big aspect of the game," the Rangers boss said.

No they weren't and no they didn't. They played reasonably well at times but this kind of over stating things is pointless. He'll be saying we were fantastically brilliant next.

Walter Smith seem's pleased with Saturday's result which annoys me big time.

Next he'll be coming out defending Lee McCulloch and telling us how well he played. The guy is an idiot.

"You have a situation there where a player's out for about five or six months or so and all of a sudden needs to come back into the fray and back into a very competitive environment," he told Rangers' website.

See, Walter, did he really need to come back into the fray?

I said at the time that Ferguson shouldnt be rushed back into things. If Smith had gave him a few more reserve matches, he wouldn't have had to come out with this claptrap.

RANGERS boss Walter Smith has urged Barry Ferguson's critics to show more patience over the midfielder's return to form.

Ibrox captain Ferguson has struggled to find top gear since making his comeback from ankle surgery.

But Smith insists the 30-year-old needs more time to find his feet after a five-month injury lay-off.

"The expectation from everyone is that he plays in the same manner as he did do before he got out, and it can't be done.

"That's one of the difficulties playing at Rangers: coming back in to a situation where the expectation level is extremely high.

"Any sensible person would know it'd take Barry three or four games to get up (to speed)."

Ferguson's ability to play in the same midfield as summer signing Pedro Mendes has been questioned but Smith believes the pair dovetailed well in Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League draw at Dundee United.

"Everybody has to show a level of patience, a level of common-sense and anybody who was looking at the game would realise that's the case."

How much time do you want us to give him Watty? I have been waiting 18 months to see the very best of Ferguson on a consistant basis - a good game here and there means fcuk all!

He also wasn't out for five or six months - and since returning he's had a lot more than the 'three to four games' you say. Infact he's had more than enough to be up to speed and should be stamping his authority in matches, especially as he's one of the fittest players at the club - we'll so everyone keeps on telling us. He's had 6 full 90 minutes on the trot along with a good 50 odd minutes for Scotland, 55 odd minutes for the 1st team as a sub and a couple of full 90 minutes in the reserves. That is more than enough to be reaching the top of your game and bar 20-25 minutes at Tannadice, he has been fcuking terrible and nowhere near fit enough.

Ferguson was rushed back and you know it, yet another example of jobs for the boys, just like you rushed McGregor back. Barry Ferguson should have been getting his fitness back by playing in the reserves, just like Steven Naismith will have to do.

The excuses made for Barry Ferguson are embarrassing and they have to stop, but it's nice to see our manager have a dig at us, just like his players have done in recent weeks.

Walter Smith isn't even worth listening to these days, he's turned into a babbling old man - try and get your team and tactics right for once.

Well said Muff , yet more pish being spouted by walter , how can he be happy with saturdays game , they words plot and lost come to mind

I do think he needs more time - the only problem i can see is that Mendes seems to vacate midfield in games these days, no big problem with that when he's going forward, for me the problem is i just can't see the two of them playing well TOGETHER...

Time will tell? :blink:

Yet another plea from Walter, to give Ferguson more time.

As you said Muff it's embarrassing.

Smith chose a really bizarre way to bring him back, if you ask me. If he'd played Barry in reserve games until he was match fit and sharp, then put him back into the first team and he still hadn't performed, Smith would have been blame free. As it is, he brought him back much too early, and not entirely coincidentally we've dropped a large number of points since. While I do think Ferguson should be performing a lot better than he is, most of the blame lies with Smith.

I do think he needs more time - the only problem i can see is that Mendes seems to vacate midfield in games these days, no big problem with that when he's going forward, for me the problem is i just can't see the two of them playing well TOGETHER...

Time will tell?

:blink:

Spot on..

Since Barry returned Mendes has played much deeper, which is something he didnt do when he played along side Thomson.

In many ways Ferguson and Mendes are similar players. They both like to link up with the striker(s) and get foward playing in a creative role.

I think this is where the problem lies. I am a big fan of Ferguson and he has been an excellent servant to the club but i think we look much stronger with Mendes and Thomo in the centre of the park.

I would also like to see Edu and Mendes get a run together to see how they gell.

Time will tell?

:blink:

Spot on..

Since Barry returned Mendes has played much deeper, which is something he didnt do when he played along side Thomson.

In many ways Ferguson and Mendes are similar players. They both like to link up with the striker(s) and get foward playing in a creative role.

I think this is where the problem lies. I am a big fan of Ferguson and he has been an excellent servant to the club but i think we look much stronger with Mendes and Thomo in the centre of the park.

I would also like to see Edu and Mendes get a run together to see how they gell.

Give it a few more weeks and we will know for sure. They will both have to play well vs Hibs and Celtic.

A bit unfair on Ferguson, he only became a regular starter because of KTs injury, otherwise he probably would have continued to make sub appearances for a longer period of time. We could argue that maybe Edu should have been given more of a chance but he hasn't come to grips with the Scottish game yet by his own admission.

What other options were there?

A bit unfair on Ferguson, he only became a regular starter because of KTs injury, otherwise he probably would have continued to make sub appearances for a longer period of time. We could argue that maybe Edu should have been given more of a chance but he hasn't come to grips with the Scottish game yet by his own admission.

Hemdani :unsure:

Hemdani :unsure:

Who? Yeah I forgot about him.

Then we should have played him, or he'll never get used to it!

Smith rushed Ferguson back, I think he now realises it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Smith saying only an idiot would expect Barry to be back to his best instantly.

there isnt anything wrong with it if he includes himself in the "idiots" after all he's the one who put him back in the team when he wasnt back to his best instantly,and still isnt.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Smith saying only an idiot would expect Barry to be back to his best instantly.

there isnt anything wrong with it if he includes himself in the "idiots" after all he's the one who put him back in the team when he wasnt back to his best instantly,and still isnt.

<cr>

He needs games to get back to his best though.

<cr>

He needs games to get back to his best though.

in the reserves yes not in games that we cant afford to be giving players run outs to get back to fitness,we are supposed to be going for a title this year and we are ushering back injured players in our first team when we have cover there in the shape of a 2.5 million quid signing who could have played while barry was getting back to fitness.

No body expected it instantly. However he's had a lot more games than Smith quoted and there is no real signs of any improvement bar the 20 odd minutes at Tannadice.

Who could we have played instead? Edu, move Davis into his proper position, Charlie Adam in a central role(just as bad as an unfit and off form Ferguson)?

If Edu was not ready then why the hell did we spent £2.7m on him?