Graham Spiers on the old firm

BallochBear

I spoke with Graham Spiers yesterday and he gave me an update on the radio programme. It will definitely be aired on Boxing Day evening at 22:00 on Radio 4 and it’s called “The World Tonight”. The programme is discussing the old firm and has the fans pieces on early after which there will be a studio discussion. I am told the vox pops with the bheggars was pretty low key and they found it hard to get articulate fans(no shurprize there then ‘n that, no), and most seemed very down beat, and there were very few from the west of Scotland

GS tells me the BBC are very happy with our contribution and while he has done a small intro piece, in no way is it a hatchet job on Rangers. He actually told me if he wanted to do that he has done it before and could easily do it again but this time it is to be done as representation and not a biased view.

The producer (Karen) who has won many awards for her work is trying to get as much of the discussion on as possible and is pushing for a “special report” on the old firm as she was so impressed with our discussions.

The programme will be available as a “listen again” item and will also be available as a pod cast, she is attempting to get the entire discussion put on the website not just the part which will be broadcast.

I will get a copy of the discussion after broadcast.

Any complaints should be referred to the BBC London – not me please. :)

:unionflag: :rangers: :unionflag: :rangers: :unionflag:

I spoke with Graham Spiers yesterday and he gave me an update on the radio programme. It will definitely be aired on Boxing Day evening at 22:00 on Radio 4 and it’s called “The World Tonight”. The programme is discussing the old firm and has the fans pieces on early after which there will be a studio discussion. I am told the vox pops with the bheggars was pretty low key and they found it hard to get articulate fans(no shurprize there then ‘n that, no), and most seemed very down beat, and there were very few from the west of Scotland

GS tells me the BBC are very happy with our contribution and while he has done a small intro piece, in no way is it a hatchet job on Rangers. He actually told me if he wanted to do that he has done it before and could easily do it again but this time it is to be done as representation and not a biased view.

The producer (Karen) who has won many awards for her work is trying to get as much of the discussion on as possible and is pushing for a “special report” on the old firm as she was so impressed with our discussions.

The programme will be available as a “listen again” item and will also be available as a pod cast, she is attempting to get the entire discussion put on the website not just the part which will be broadcast.

Interesting. What is the basis of the VoxPops and of the proposed discussion?

in no way is it a hatchet job on Rangers. He actually told me if he wanted to do that he has done it before and could easily do it again

It still astounds me that you want to associate yourself with someone who freely admits to that.

in no way is it a hatchet job on Rangers. He actually told me if he wanted to do that he has done it before and could easily do it again

It still astounds me that you want to associate yourself with someone who freely admits to that.

The point is, he could but says he hasn't, we all know how he feels, and I include myself in that, but he is being paid by the BBC for this, so while he can put his point of view as he sees fit, we were given the right to reply which IMO is important.

If one thinks about journalists logically, they can all pretty well say what they like as it "being their opinion" and there is little us as fans can really do except stop buying the paper, call a phone in, write to the journo etc, but at least this one gives us a chance to respond.

:unionflag: :rangers: :unionflag:

Interesting. What is the basis of the VoxPops and of the proposed discussion?

I really don't want to go into the detail again but suffice to say it took place last week, there is another post with lots of detail if you want to look for it a page or two further back.

:unionflag:

I really don't want to go into the detail again but suffice to say it took place last week, there is another post with lots of detail if you want to look for it a page or two further back.

:unionflag:

yep, sorry mate, found it further down the board since I posted above.

• 2 weeks later...

Either you lied or he lied.

There were no 'vox pops' which Celtic fans. Instead, we had Jeanette Findlay of the CST and Tom Devine.

The whole thing was a stitch-up from start to finish with a ridiculous amount of emphasis on 'the famine song'.

Absolutely no mention of segregated education, of course.

Rangers supporters groups have been completely vindicated by their refusal to co-operate with this chancer.

:clap:

Either you lied or he lied.

There were no 'vox pops' which Celtic fans. Instead, we had Jeanette Findlay of the CST and Tom Devine.

The whole thing was a stitch-up from start to finish with a ridiculous amount of emphasis on 'the famine song'.

Absolutely no mention of segregated education, of course.

Rangers supporters groups have been completely vindicated by their refusal to co-operate with this chancer.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Well said :2g: Speirs is a wanker

I spoke with Graham Spiers yesterday and he gave me an update on the radio programme. It will definitely be aired on Boxing Day evening at 22:00 on Radio 4 and it's called "The World Tonight". The programme is discussing the old firm and has the fans pieces on early after which there will be a studio discussion. I am told the vox pops with the bheggars was pretty low key and they found it hard to get articulate fans(no shurprize there then 'n that, no), and most seemed very down beat, and there were very few from the west of Scotland

The producer (Karen) who has won many awards for her work is trying to get as much of the discussion on as possible and is pushing for a "special report" on the old firm as she was so impressed with our discussions.

The programme will be available as a "listen again" item and will also be available as a pod cast, she is attempting to get the entire discussion put on the website not just the part which will be broadcast.

Why the would you want to speak to that fukin rheptile? A man who you've said admited to doing "hatchet job" on the club?! Like going onto a muslin website and saying you bumped into salman rushdie and they should pick up his new read. <cr>

Say it all really , He's the moral decay of this country. Vile little man.

You seem proud to have participated in a programme that yet again tarnished our name.

To be fair I don't think he got the opportunity to hear the program before he posted.

Why is all the emphasis on the Famine Song? Its a song with 2 lines and the message of the song is questioning the foundation of Celtic as a catholic club only (rather than Rangers - who were set up as a FOOTBALL club first)

Yet he keeps using the word "racist" all along?

Hes a mong who sits at home with his pink dildo up his arse and writes whatever pish he wants about us,

Go and tell your bum-chum that

You seem proud to have participated in a programme that yet again tarnished our name.

I think it's to Balloch Bears credit that he chose to engage Spiers rather than pass on the opportunity.

And I could not disagree more that it tarnished our name - despite the attempts of Findlay, Devine et al. I'd go as far to say that if this was an attempt to discredit Rangers, it backfired on them spectacularly. Firstly because their own bias is so easily and readily identifiable and secondly because the Bears who spoke did so coherently, asserting their points calmly whilst delivering the real sense of injustice many Bears feel in regard to media bias.

Finally - the bold Rev McQuarrie rejected the stupider allegations with considerable aplomb.

One section of the piece that did trouble me was Kirkwoods apparent glee that Scottish courts are intent on hammering someone caught singing songs considered to be currently objectionable. Certain passport rights revoked, travel banning orders and restricted rights to free movement all to be heaped on those found guilty. Sentences and conditions we don't assign to many who commit crimes of a far more sinister nature than those football followers mentioned who fall foul of the law.

I think it's to Balloch Bears credit that he chose to engage Spiers rather than pass on the opportunity.

And I could not disagree more that it tarnished our name - despite the attempts of Findlay, Devine et al. I'd go as far to say that if this was an attempt to discredit Rangers, it backfired on them spectacularly. Firstly because their own bias is so easily and readily identifiable and secondly because the Bears who spoke did so coherently, asserting their points calmly whilst delivering the real sense of injustice many Bears feel in regard to media bias.

Finally - the bold Rev McQuarrie rejected the stupider allegations with considerable aplomb.

One section of the piece that did trouble me was Kirkwoods apparent glee that Scottish courts are intent on hammering someone caught singing songs considered to be currently objectionable. Certain passport rights revoked, travel banning orders and restricted rights to free movement all to be heaped on those found guilty. Sentences and conditions we don't assign to many who commit crimes of a far more sinister nature than those football followers mentioned who fall foul of the law.

He was warned beforehand and he chose to ignore that warning.

Most of those listening would not understand the nuances involved and would be likely to accept people like Findlay and Devine at face value. They were not asked probing questions about their side - instead, they were invited to stick the boot into Rangers.

Far better that no Rangers fans co-operated and Spiers was left high and dry.

He was warned beforehand and he chose to ignore that warning. Most of those listening would not understand the nuances involved and would be likely to accept people like Findlay and Devine at face value.

Well good on Balloch Bear for ignoring the - cough - warnings. And you think most Radio 4 listeners wouldn't understand the nuances involved? It's difficult to imagine an audience more likely to understand - Radio 4 listeners are not typically Sun readers I wouldn't have thought.