Tony F****N' Roper

LeithGer

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it and honestly I couldn't give a fuck. A comedy programme which has lines which offend, who cares?

I'm not going to go to my bed and cry into my pillow all night because some said h** on the tele.

I can see the double standards point about the BBC but c'mon to fuck, let's complain to ofcom?!! some need to get out more and live a little.

Obviously not you.

Do you think it would be acceptable if they used the word n***er to describe a black person....just because its "comedy" ?

I watched it and honestly I couldn't give a fuck. A comedy programme which has lines which offend, who cares?

I'm not going to go to my bed and cry into my pillow all night because some said h** on the tele.

I can see the double standards point about the BBC but c'mon to fuck, let's complain to ofcom?!! some need to get out more and live a little.

Obviously not you.

Do you think it would be acceptable if they used the word n***er to describe a black person....just because its "comedy" ?

They mocked Muslims in the programme tonight, I doubt there will be an outcry about that.

Obviously not you.

They mocked Muslims in the programme tonight, I doubt there will be an outcry about that.

We are not talking about mocking here........we are talking about the use of derogatory and offensive language......but seeing as you have jumped in would you like to answer the question

Obviously not you.

We are not talking about mocking here........we are talking about the use of derogatory and offensive language......but seeing as you have jumped in would you like to answer the question

No it wouldn't be acceptable. I understand that, but as I said in a previous post, I don't find it offensive or hurtfull so it doesn't really bother me but I understand other peoples views on it.

So have some of you never been down the pub with your mates and had a bit of banter using the words h** and fenian?

People that are complaining are adding to the PC problem. You want to be able to sing TBB but when you hear something that is a dig at us you go crying like wee school kids. Where is it going to get us? soon we will be clapping goals with no singing and you will have contributed to the problem by continually complaining and bringing it to the public attention.

Get a grip (tu)

So have some of you never been down the pub with your mates and had a bit of banter using the words h** and fenian?

People that are complaining are adding to the PC problem. You want to be able to sing TBB but when you hear something that is a dig at us you go crying like wee school kids. Where is it going to get us? soon we will be clapping goals with no singing and you will have contributed to the problem by continually complaining and bringing it to the public attention.

Get a grip (tu)

But this is not a bunch of guys down the pub. This is a publicly funded broadcasting organisation with with a hefty responsibility to the public and whose public purpose includes, amongst other things,

(a) sustaining citizenship and civil society;

(b) promoting education and learning;

© stimulating creativity and cultural excellence

If you feel that complaining about an organisation which has not been at the forefront of criticism of our club, yet is happy to turn a blind eye at use of terms deemed offensive and sectarian by not only the Scottish Courts, but the anti-sectarian charity Nil By Mouth, is "adding to to the PC problem"...then I would suggest its yourself who needs to get the grip.

Get a grip (tu)

For years we've said nothing and where has that got us?

If we continue to say nothing it will only be inside Ibrox that is silenced.

They are not going to let it lie.

Get a grip (tu)

100% agree - watched the program - toook no offence to the word in context it was used. How sad have we become as a support that we cant even laugh at ourselves - It will become so sad soon that people willl complain if we sing nursery rhymes - oh wait its happened - and this thread show that we are NO better.

as CS5Loyal says: Get a GRIP!!

Get a grip (tu)

I'll answer your question. No. I don't go to pubs where people call Rangers fans "h***".

Now, can you answer mine? Would the BBC have used the word "fenian"? Of course they wouldn't.

There are two issues. Firstly the BBC do not treat both sides the same as has previously been proven and this is yet another example. Secondly, the term IS offensive and has already been banned by many media organisations.

Get a grip (tu)

I'll answer your question. No. I don't go to pubs where people call Rangers fans "h***".

Now, can you answer mine? Would the BBC have used the word "fenian"? Of course they wouldn't.

There are two issues. Firstly the BBC do not treat both sides the same as has previously been proven and this is yet another example. Secondly, the term IS offensive and has already been banned by many media organisations.

If you read my post I said using it as part of "banter", I have Celtic supporting friends in my football team, at work and in my social life and we can have a laugh. Maybe you don't because you are so narrow-minded. We call each other names, sing songs we're not supposed to and in general just have some harmless banter. People on here are making a mountain out of a molehill over something trivial that was broadcast on a comedy programme.

Oh and your other point about the BBC, I didn't see your whinging when Mock The Week was on the other night on the BBC and Frankie Boyle was taking the piss out of the catholic church for being peodophiles.

Get a grip (tu)

If you read my post I said using it as part of "banter", I have Celtic supporting friends in my football team, at work and in my social life and we can have a laugh. Maybe you don't because you are so narrow-minded. We call each other names, sing songs we're not supposed to and in general just have some harmless banter. People on here are making a mountain out of a molehill over something trivial that was broadcast on a comedy programme.

Oh and your other point about the BBC, I didn't see your whinging when Mock The Week was on the other night on the BBC and Frankie Boyle was taking the piss out of the catholic church for being peodophiles.

I'm narrow-minded because I don't go around calling Celtic supporters in my office "fenians"? Hmmm. Interesting view. If I did it, I'd be out of a job and I'd prefer to keep it.

What about your black mates. Do you have banter with them and call them "n***er"?

I see you have ignored answering my question.

As for your irrelevant point on Mock the Week, I don't believe I read that thread. So did Frankie Boyle call RC's fenians?

Get a grip (tu)

I'm narrow-minded because I don't go around calling Celtic supporters in my office "fenians"? Hmmm. Interesting view. If I did it, I'd be out of a job and I'd prefer to keep it.

What about your black mates. Do you have banter with them and call them "n***er"?

As for your irrelevant point on Mock the Week, I don't believe I read that thread. So did Frankie Boyle call RC's fenians?

For one I don't have black friends :pipe: . I do though have a chinese friend and we have banter with him. You are missing my point here mate, I don't go around the workplace calling randoms fenians, you really should stop taking points so literally. We have friendly banter when talking about the football and my mates give their fair share back, not all of it is in a PC context. I don't go greeting to the boss, oh he said that, he said this. By the sounds of it you are the sort.

No he didn't refer to catholics as fenians but as you suggest that the BBC are anti-protestant and pro-catholic why would they allow frankie Boyle to take the pish out ofthe catholic religion by reffering to them as peadophiles? Are you going to complain to ofcom about that?

Get a grip (tu)

For one I don't have black friends :pipe: . I do though have a chinese friend and we have banter with him. You are missing my point here mate, I don't go around the workplace calling randoms fenians, you really should stop taking points so literally. We have friendly banter when talking about the football and my mates give their fair share back, not all of it is in a PC context. I don't go greeting to the boss, oh he said that, he said this. By the sounds of it you are the sort.

No he didn't refer to catholics as fenians but as you suggest that the BBC are anti-protestant and pro-catholic why would they allow frankie Boyle to take the pish out ofthe catholic religion by reffering to them as peadophiles? Are you going to complain to ofcom about that?

I hope none of you guys watch Mock the Week? Frankie Boyle is great on it, plenty of near to the bone stuff, including material that at one stage could be deemed offensive to practically all parts of Scottish scoiety.

The context in which Roper referred to Ramsay as a "h**" is more than acceptable to me, it was a natural part of the scene. But what about the poor people who have stunted growth? Wee Burney was referred to in many disparaging ways due to his lack of height.

Get a grip (tu)

I hope none of you guys watch Mock the Week? Frankie Boyle is great on it, plenty of near to the bone stuff, including material that at one stage could be deemed offensive to practically all parts of Scottish scoiety.

The context in which Roper referred to Ramsay as a "h**" is more than acceptable to me, it was a natural part of the scene. But what about the poor people who have stunted growth? Wee Burney was referred to in many disparaging ways due to his lack of height.

Exactly comedy shows will offend someone in some way, that's what makes it funny most of the time. Whether it be religious, sexist, about weight issues, death, terrorism etc. I remember when this country had a sense of humour, not anymore it seems (td)

Thats my last on this debate as it's quite obvious we disagree ;)

Get a grip (tu)

I don't have any Celtic supporting friends that I'm likely to go for a beer with. I do have black friends that I go for beers with but no matter the banter, I'm not going to use the N word. No, I wouldn't go greeting about it either, but other people would if it was used. It seems that we work in different environments, and if you are happy to be called a h** then that's fine, but it doesn't mean that the rest of us should.

Perhaps I should have qualified that by saying BBC Scotland.

I'll ask my question again. Would the BBC have allowed the scetch to be reversed and for the person to be called a fenian?

If anyone could be offended by it then i guess it would be Ramsay as it was a direct reference to him.

Look, personally i didnae laugh at it, but i did about what they said about wee Burney and i laughed a lot at Mock the Week. So how can i reasonably be offended at one thing and gladly laugh at what someone else may think is offensive.

Isnt this the very thing we are ripping the pish out of the Tims for this week wae the Hokey Cokey?

Watched it last night and was surprised thet the term was used. Having thought about it, and given that Pattison is a bear, was it not designed to show the characters up as bigoted, sponging, alcoholic tims. May be wrong but it is another slant on it.

I've read some paranoid drivel in my life, but this is verging on loony bin proportions.

Ian Pattison, who I have met a few times, and to quote him he's 'big blue nose', although it is pretty irrelevant in this case, is the sole writer of Rab C Nesbitt; a scripted comedy. That means it's work of fiction, and in his case he draws on his own experiences and observations to inform his writing. As Govan born boy he draws on the people and situations in his life that he encounters to create a larger than life, satirical world, inhabited by equally larger than life characters.

Mostly it's a social comment that he's making, which is to say... this is a bit like how Glasgow is, and these are how barmy some of the punters can be, but it's all a bit harmless. Oh, and it's supposed to be funny.

The most delusional and frankly the most offensive ramblings are those against the actor Tony Roper (albeit a big tim). For those of you not versed in the ways of the performing arts, he is playing a 'role' of a character called Jamsie Cotter, and the line's that his character is delivering is put into his mouth by the writer Ian Pattison. And if any of the most offendended amongst you wish to raise your ire towards anyone, then I would suggest that he might be the person you might take issue with, although be warned you may become a character in his next creation.

I was begining to enjoy reading this forum, as it seemed to be home to a more level headed intelligent Rangers fan, than some of the other forums that I have given up reading, perhaps this is just a moment of temporary insanity, a blip caused by a glass too many of Granny's sherry before we've gone to bed last night.

I hope so... Merry Christmas!

I've read some paranoid drivel in my life, but this is verging on loony bin proportions.

Ian Pattison, who I have met a few times, and to quote him he's 'big blue nose', although it is pretty irrelevant in this case, is the sole writer of Rab C Nesbitt; a scripted comedy. That means it's work of fiction, and in his case he draws on his own experiences and observations to inform his writing. As Govan born boy he draws on the people and situations in his life that he encounters to create a larger than life, satirical world, inhabited by equally larger than life characters.

Mostly it's a social comment that he's making, which is to say... this is a bit like how Glasgow is, and these are how barmy some of the punters can be, but it's all a bit harmless. Oh, and it's supposed to be funny.

The most delusional and frankly the most offensive ramblings are those against the actor Tony Roper (albeit a big tim). For those of you not versed in the ways of the performing arts, he is playing a 'role' of a character called Jamsie Cotter, and the line's that his character is delivering is put into his mouth by the writer Ian Pattison. And if any of the most offendended amongst you wish to raise your ire towards anyone, then I would suggest that he might be the person you might take issue with, although be warned you may become a character in his next creation.

I was begining to enjoy reading this forum, as it seemed to be home to a more level headed intelligent Rangers fan, than some of the other forums that I have given up reading, perhaps this is just a moment of temporary insanity, a blip caused by a glass too many of Granny's sherry before we've gone to bed last night.

I hope so... Merry Christmas!

Wouldnt hold your breath mate