Tony F****N' Roper

LeithGer

So have some of you never been down the pub with your mates and had a bit of banter using the words h** and fenian?

People that are complaining are adding to the PC problem. You want to be able to sing TBB but when you hear something that is a dig at us you go crying like wee school kids. Where is it going to get us? soon we will be clapping goals with no singing and you will have contributed to the problem by continually complaining and bringing it to the public attention.

Get a grip (tu)

But this is not a bunch of guys down the pub. This is a publicly funded broadcasting organisation with with a hefty responsibility to the public and whose public purpose includes, amongst other things,

(a) sustaining citizenship and civil society;

(b) promoting education and learning;

© stimulating creativity and cultural excellence

If you feel that complaining about an organisation which has not been at the forefront of criticism of our club, yet is happy to turn a blind eye at use of terms deemed offensive and sectarian by not only the Scottish Courts, but the anti-sectarian charity Nil By Mouth, is "adding to to the PC problem"...then I would suggest its yourself who needs to get the grip.

Well said Dart, this is just another stab in the back of every Rangers supporter. The thing thats starting to get to me is that my nine year old watched this programme, he asked me what a h** was. The cracking thing about Rab C for the last 20 years was that there has hardly been a mention of football or h*** or feniens or any other kind of religious division which for me made Rab C a classic of Scottish comedy. It was a cheap and nasty remark and it should not have made it past the BBC editors.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read some paranoid drivel in my life, but this is verging on loony bin proportions.

Ian Pattison, who I have met a few times, and to quote him he's 'big blue nose', although it is pretty irrelevant in this case, is the sole writer of Rab C Nesbitt; a scripted comedy. That means it's work of fiction, and in his case he draws on his own experiences and observations to inform his writing. As Govan born boy he draws on the people and situations in his life that he encounters to create a larger than life, satirical world, inhabited by equally larger than life characters.

Mostly it's a social comment that he's making, which is to say... this is a bit like how Glasgow is, and these are how barmy some of the punters can be, but it's all a bit harmless. Oh, and it's supposed to be funny.

The most delusional and frankly the most offensive ramblings are those against the actor Tony Roper (albeit a big tim). For those of you not versed in the ways of the performing arts, he is playing a 'role' of a character called Jamsie Cotter, and the line's that his character is delivering is put into his mouth by the writer Ian Pattison. And if any of the most offendended amongst you wish to raise your ire towards anyone, then I would suggest that he might be the person you might take issue with, although be warned you may become a character in his next creation.

I was begining to enjoy reading this forum, as it seemed to be home to a more level headed intelligent Rangers fan, than some of the other forums that I have given up reading, perhaps this is just a moment of temporary insanity, a blip caused by a glass too many of Granny's sherry before we've gone to bed last night.

I hope so... Merry Christmas!

So would Ian Pattison have used the word "fenian" when creating another role?

I've read some paranoid drivel in my life, but this is verging on loony bin proportions.

Ian Pattison, who I have met a few times, and to quote him he's 'big blue nose', although it is pretty irrelevant in this case, is the sole writer of Rab C Nesbitt; a scripted comedy. That means it's work of fiction, and in his case he draws on his own experiences and observations to inform his writing. As Govan born boy he draws on the people and situations in his life that he encounters to create a larger than life, satirical world, inhabited by equally larger than life characters.

Mostly it's a social comment that he's making, which is to say... this is a bit like how Glasgow is, and these are how barmy some of the punters can be, but it's all a bit harmless. Oh, and it's supposed to be funny.

The most delusional and frankly the most offensive ramblings are those against the actor Tony Roper (albeit a big tim). For those of you not versed in the ways of the performing arts, he is playing a 'role' of a character called Jamsie Cotter, and the line's that his character is delivering is put into his mouth by the writer Ian Pattison. And if any of the most offendended amongst you wish to raise your ire towards anyone, then I would suggest that he might be the person you might take issue with, although be warned you may become a character in his next creation.

I was begining to enjoy reading this forum, as it seemed to be home to a more level headed intelligent Rangers fan, than some of the other forums that I have given up reading, perhaps this is just a moment of temporary insanity, a blip caused by a glass too many of Granny's sherry before we've gone to bed last night.

Has the word been deemed sectarian by the courts ? Are they "paranoid"

Has the word been deemed sectarian by NBM ? Are they paranoid ?

Ive heard a lot of posters on here giving their tuppence worth on this subject...but none answering the questions.

:doh: think you should maybe ask a question that the boy can answer, unless of course he is Ian pattison :doh:

That dirty soap-dodgin' cunt Tony Roper just used the line "Ah,but, he's a h** " on the new Rab C. on BBC2. How in the fuck can these cunts bleat about bigotry when they use every opportunity to have a go at us ?

Time the BBC was held to account for something like this. The 'H' word is unacceptable, and is a bigotted and sectarian term...end of story!!!!

Wonder how the beeb will attempt to justify this one..... banter or local vernacular would be my guess.

The BBC.... staffed by fuckwits, and rain by t****

(td) (td) (td)

You seriously can't be getting wound up about something so petty mate. Leave that to the tims. They don't even know why they call us h*** so why get upset about their ignorance? :unionflag:

:doh: think you should maybe ask a question that the boy can answer, unless of course he is Ian pattison :doh:

No, I'm not Ian Pattison (would that I were for a much increased bank balance). If Pattison had used the word fenian, then similarly, it's a work of fiction, a piece of artistc expression, and as someone who fears for a day when creative freedoms are so regulated that it becomes aparant that we are living in a fascist state, then I hope that if he did use the word, he would feel that he lived in a society that allowed him to express himself freely, and he could do so without reproach.

There we have it, from evidence gathered from this thread, some Rangers supporters (although I've yet to meet any of this breed in person) have accepted being called a 'h**'.

The fenians/tarriers/taigs/tims/animals/filth/vermin/h*** (yes, the original h***) (am I allowed to call them that?) have got their way.

Grow a backbone ffs - they are trampling all over the top of us, being allowed to do so almost unchallenged.

Unite and fight back.........before it's too late.

There we have it, from evidence gathered from this thread, some Rangers supporters (although I've yet to meet any of this breed in person) have accepted being called a 'Hun'.

The fenians/tarriers/taigs/tims/animals/filth/vermin/huns (yes, the original huns) (am I allowed to call them that?) have got their way.

Grow a backbone ffs - they are trampling all over the top of us, being allowed to do so almost unchallenged.

its already too late my good freind we have to many labradors that want to roll over and get theyre tummy rubbed

although there is still a glimmer of hope when i read some of these posts

If Pattison had used the word fenian, then similarly, it's a work of fiction, a piece of artistc expression, and as someone who fears for a day when creative freedoms are so regulated that it becomes aparant that we are living in a fascist state, then I hope that if he did use the word, he would feel that he lived in a society that allowed him to express himself freely, and he could do so without reproach.

(tu)

spot on.

There we have it, from evidence gathered from this thread, some Rangers supporters (although I've yet to meet any of this breed in person) have accepted being called a 'h**'.

The fenians/tarriers/taigs/tims/animals/filth/vermin/h*** (yes, the original h***) (am I allowed to call them that?) have got their way.

It may come as a great surprise mate but I have been called much worse than h**. I'm pretty sure you will have been at some point in your life too. Should I get upset about a name that no tim can accuratley tell me the origins of? It's nothing to do with backbone but everything to do with not being a whiny faced bastard like so many of them. We used to sing "Go home ya h***" to them in the Seventies ffs, although the tims would love to airbrush that one from history. Leave the pussy willow attitude to them mate. :unionflag:

No, I'm not Ian Pattison (would that I were for a much increased bank balance). If Pattison had used the word fenian, then similarly, it's a work of fiction, a piece of artistc expression, and as someone who fears for a day when creative freedoms are so regulated that it becomes aparant that we are living in a fascist state, then I hope that if he did use the word, he would feel that he lived in a society that allowed him to express himself freely, and he could do so without reproach.

But the fact remains that he didn't use it. Surely the appropriate response in this scenatio would have been for the reply to have been "fuck off, ya fenian". I wonder why he didn't put that in?

The bottom line is that the programme would not have been allowed to have gone out with the word "fenian" in it. You can claim all the artistic freedom you want, but if he wants to make it as realistic as you claim then there would be a lot more "f*cks" and "c*nts" in it. He doesn't use that language because it isn't sociably acceptable to be used in a programme of this sort, but yet he can use (one-sided) terms of sectarian abuse, apparently without reproach.

Well, because this is a piece of fiction I think the author should have the artistic freedom to use words like fenian or h** or whatever he feels is appropriate to the piece.

In real life, with both terms being declared sectarian then it is fair to object to the use of h** against us.

However, this is fiction and that is why I view this instance differently.

It may come as a great surprise mate but I have been called much worse than h**. I'm pretty sure you will have been at some point in your life too. Should I get upset about a name that no tim can accuratley tell me the origins of? It's nothing to do with backbone but everything to do with not being a whiny faced bastard like so many of them. We used to sing "Go home ya h***" to them in the Seventies ffs, although the tims would love to airbrush that one from history. Leave the pussy willow attitude to them mate. :unionflag:

You can roll over and get your tummy tickled if you want - I prefer to fight fire with fire.

I'll be frank here, supporters like you make me sick to the pit of my stomach.

It is now official guys - a section of our support is just as paranoid as a section of theirs. This thread is a joke and proves it. Offended by a line in Rab Freaking Nesbitt. Amazing. And yes, being offended by this is absolutely the same as being offended by the Hokey Cokey.

Unbelieveable

It is now official guys - a section of our support is just as paranoid as a section of theirs. This thread is a joke and proves it. Offended by a line in Rab Freaking Nesbitt. Amazing. And yes, being offended by this is absolutely the same as being offended by the Hokey Cokey.

Unbelieveable

What he said.

I can see both sides of the argument; it's registered as a sectarian word and shouldn't be used. Only the beeb would use it.

However, I don't think the people that are offended are mopes. The BBC get away with anti-Rangers propaganda quite a lot (hence the protest) and it's about time they got reeled in by ofcom. We're just wanting a bit of balance.

Unbelieveable

At least be accurate - offended by a word in Rab C Nesbitt.

A word ruled sectarian by the courts and Nil By Mouth.

But lets not let facts deflect from your inaccuracy or stupidity

I am in the "not annoyed by it" category.

If there is something sinister behind it, some plan by the BBC to get it up us, then that's up to them, and I WOULD complain to Ofcom like some are suggesting.

I choose not to be offended by it, and I don't believe there is some plot to show us up.

Its a comedy show FFS, I'd love to hear if there are any Muslim Rangers fans on here, and whether they are offended by the Muslim jokes, or the use of the H word (or both!)

I do not think I am an "apologist", or rolling over and having my belly tickled, nor do I think i should "jog on Declan", or whatever vitriolic statement one wishes to throw at me.

They were always the paranoid ones when I was growing up, and I don't intend to become like that.

Unbelieveable

At least be accurate - offended by a word in Rab C Nesbitt.

A word ruled sectarian by the courts and Nil By Mouth.

But lets not let facts deflect from your inaccuracy or stupidity

Again, Rab Freakin Nesbitt

If you choose to be offended by that, go right ahead but you wont drag decent folk along with you

It would have been one thing if it was Panorama or Newsnight - but Rab Nesbitt

And you have the nerve to call me stupid?