Darche cashed in at Gers

disgruntled_bear

MONEYBAGS Jean-Claude Darcheville has revealed how how he could afford to take a pay cut to join Valenciennes — because he earned so much at Rangers.

The French striker headed home last week as he became the first of Gers boss Walter Smith’s winter cull.

His switch to the Stade Nungesser has taken him from second spot in the SPL into the midst of a relegation scrap in Ligue 1.

He had other better-paid offers from Monaco and Nantes, as well as the oil-rich states of the Middle East.

But he insists his wages at Ibrox allowed him to sacrifice a signing-on fee and a bonus for beating the drop to join Valenciennes.

The 33-year-old said: “Financially I assured my future in Scotland and I can afford this experience now.

“If that wasn’t the case I’d have gone to Qatar or Dubai to take the money and finish my career.

Sacrifices

“I made financial sacrifices to come here but I want to help my team-mates stay in Ligue 1.

“Through my agent I had contact with Valenciennes three or four weeks ago. I also spoke with Nantes coach Elie Baup and to the president of Monaco and knew other opportunities would arise as well.

“But the manager Antoine Kombouare found the words to convince me to join Valenciennes.

“He understood I was a man of character but also someone who is emotionally driven.”

Darcheville, whose first league game will be against Caen on January 10, is relishing getting his teeth into a survival fight for survival.

Valenciennes currently sit 18th in the 20-team league with the bottom three relegated at the end of the season.

Exciting

Darcheville said: “There’s nothing worse than playing in the middle of the table where there’s nothing to fear.

“Targeting Europe or trying to help a team stay up every weekend is exciting.

“That’s why I refused to join Monaco. Their stadium is never full but at Valenciennes the fans are behind their team.

“I want to have fun and excitement and help keep Valenciennes up.

“My career is coming to an end but I still have two years left at the top.

“I know I’ll have to earn my place but from what I saw in the last three matches staying up is achievable. I’m not a madman.

“Toulouse had 12 points at this stage in 2003 and stayed up so there’s no reason we can’t do the same.”

Fondness

But Darcheville will forever look back with fondess on his 18 months in Glasgow.

In fact he reckons he’s never had a better season than last year, when he helped Walter Smith’s men come so close to landing the quadruple. The ex-Bordeaux and Nottingham Forest striker added: “When I speak to my family and friends I tell them my best season was last year.

“I won two cups and we got to the UEFA Cup Final.

“Unfortunately tiredness cost us the title.

“But I will never forget that year.”

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/ho...icle2081388.ece

This is a big part of our money problems and our failure to move players on.

We give players the kind of money they wouldn't get anywhere else, so when we try to shift them on, they won't budge.

Tbh, Darchy was a signing that we should not have bothered with - maybe when Eck tried to get him, but not 3 years later.

Smith obviously never watched him that often. I watch Ligue 1 every week and saw a lot of Darcheville and there were a lot more options that I'd have gone for!

Some say he was the cheap option, but he wasn't.

This is a big part of our money problems and our failure to move players on.

We give players the kind of money they wouldn't get anywhere else, so when we try to shift them on, they won't budge.

Except JCD who would clearly rather be playing football than warming the bench/stands.

Good luck to him. Played for the jersey despite being hampered by injuries. Scored crucial Euro/Cup goals as well.

Tbh, Darchy was a signing that we should not have bothered with - maybe when Eck tried to get him, but not 3 years later.

Smith obviously never watched him that often. I watch Ligue 1 every week and saw a lot of Darcheville and there were a lot more options that I'd have gone for!

(tu)

Guest Andypendek

It's possible he was the only option that would consider a move to our dull shores, though.

Was told by an agent a couple of months ago that he was the player we had to get off the wage bill to have any chance of signing Tonel. £24,000 a week apparently :(

Not doubting your source mate, but I'd be VERY surprised if that were the case. I couldn't see Bain sanctioning that kind of money for a guy coming to the end of his career. Also, if he were on that sort of money....wouldn't he stay where he was?

I have however heard that Hemdani is on that sort of wage....hence his acceptance at not kicking a ball all season!

darche did well for us in his first year. Shame we didnt sign him a couple of years ago, he was well past his best when we signed him but still 15 goals in your first season when you only completed 90mins once isnt a bad return. All the best JCD.

Was told by an agent a couple of months ago that he was the player we had to get off the wage bill to have any chance of signing Tonel. £24,000 a week apparently :(

Not doubting your source mate, but I'd be VERY surprised if that were the case. I couldn't see Bain sanctioning that kind of money for a guy coming to the end of his career. Also, if he were on that sort of money....wouldn't he stay where he was?

I have however heard that Hemdani is on that sort of wage....hence his acceptance at not kicking a ball all season!

Just passing on what I was told. (tu) Although we do tend to pay more to foreign Bosmans like Darche, Prso, Emerson, Boumsong as no fee is involved.

Just passing on what I was told. (tu) Although we do tend to pay more to foreign Bosmans like Darche, Prso, Emerson, Boumsong as no fee is involved.

:cool: I had heard it was closer to £18k....either way, it's freed up a significant amount of cash for us....and the guy gets a good move for him at this stage of his career. He always tried his best for us & I wish him well! If Hemdani can get a move too, that'll be almost £40k a week we'll have to play with....£2m a year!