If you could...

Punt Le Guen and bring in someone other than Smith, McCoist and McDowall.

I'd have gone for my number 1 choice at the time, Billy Davies.

A wee bit rash there Muffster, he's average at best.

I honestly think Billy Davies would do an amazing job at Ibrox. He's not just a 'Rangers man' he's a football man, he's clued up!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly think Billy Davies would do an amazing job at Ibrox. He's not just a 'Rangers man' he's a football man, he's clued up!

I'd take him in a heartbeat.

The jobs he done at Derby and Preston were absolutely fantastic. Just look at the way he nurtured Nugent into an England international for proof of his hands on style. A great trainer, well spoken and is a 'Rangers man'.

People will use his EPL endeavour with Derby as a stick to beat him with, but not even Mourinho could have kept them up. The club as a whole werent prepared.

Keep him and punt the short termer fans. Give him a proper budget and time to get his cultured head around our teuchter football.

We had a manager who was prepared to give youth a chance, instead we got a chump ('he came when duty called' the morons cried) who plays with 4 CB's at the back and 4 centre mids across midfield. The Everton blog had Smith sussed, shame a section of our fans couldn't make head nor tail of plain English.

The jobs he done at Derby and Preston were absolutely fantastic. Just look at the way he nurtured Nugent into an England international for proof of his hands on style. A great trainer, well spoken and is a 'Rangers man'.

People will use his EPL endeavour with Derby as a stick to beat him with, but not even Mourinho could have kept them up. The club as a whole werent prepared.

I don't think you were a member at the time, mate, but I wanted Davies before Le Guen!

I cried out for him five months into the Le Guen era, when he left, I thought he was a certainty for the job - the rest is history.

I'd love van Gaal, Quique Flores, Laurent Blanc, Avram Grant, Valeri Gazzaev, Ralf Rangnick....I'd also love Billy Davies. Yes he's a Rangers man, but he's so much more than that!

Billy Davies would just be another yes man, and IMO buckle under the pressure.

Could you imagine Billy Davies getting control of our dressing room, i doubt it.

Just be another build yet another team, round the monster munch crew (td)

Billy Davies would just be another yes man, and IMO buckle under the pressure.

Could you imagine Billy Davies getting control of our dressing room, i doubt it.

Just be another build yet another team, round the monster munch crew (td)

Correct imo. He'd take his orders from the Fergie clique and wouldn't have the balls to drop or even punt el capitano.

He was given no time. And as we all know the final straw was dropping the captain, a player most of you would now be happy to move on.

At PSG, he made a horrible start as well, but they persevered and are getting the rewards.

Im not saying it's guaranteed he would have been a success for us, had he been given two seasons at least, as has been awarded him at PSG, but it's certainly up for debate.

And those who tag him a 'green grape' are hardly debating the issue, or adding anything of any worth.

We all know he's sucsessfull in the French league , He done wonders with Lyon.

He did not do enough research into the SPL before he came and ultimately thought his signing policy would suffice which sadly it didn't.

Nor did he deserve anymore time to try and rescue his case.

The "he didn't do enough research into the SPL" argument is one of these completely baseless accusations that's been repeated so many times people now treat it as an established fact. Many of the arguments (bringing in players who are supposedly not suited to SPL football) could be said of Smith - DaMarcus Beanpole anyone? As was said previously, he had a terrible start at PSG (in a league he knows everything about) but turned it around. There's nothing to say it wouldn't have been the same with us.

Of course, there's nothing to say he would have turned it around either, but he was kicked out the door before we found out. The changes he tried to make happen at the club were always going to take time to bring any benefits and our unique combination of giving him practically no time to sort anything out long term, giving him very little money in comparison to the millions Smith has been given and not giving him the backing he needed to get rid of a disruptive member of the squad was a recipe for disaster. At best you can say that we have no idea how it would have turned out, at worst you could say we sacked a manager that had the potential to turn us into a modern European club with a bright future. Given what's happened this season I'd have been willing to take that gamble.

I'm at the risk of repeating myself with this one now, but the 'he didn't do his research' claim is a myth, to an extent. Le Guen assumed there would be Champions League football and thus more money to spend and attract players. Sadly, McLeish messed this up towards the final stages of the season and the rest as they say, is history.

When I look at the calibre of player PLG was linked with. I'm thinking Elmander, Toulalan, Kalstrom, the French keeper plus a few more at that level, I can't help wondering why if he knew he only had 5 or 6 million at his disposal.

I realise (just as he probably did) he probably couldn't have persuaded all those players to come but the fact that was the level of the market he was browsing in has me asking a few questions.

He tried to introduce a number of things he'd obviously employed at Lyon. Double training sessions, no doubt to work on things like technique, tactics, set pieces etc and he tried to ensure players had a correct diet.

There was a backlash to this from certain quarters, the Scottish clique as Hemdani referred to them. I think Le Guen looked at it and realised he had an influential group numbering 4 or 5 who he simply didn't have the budget to replace and thought, this wont work.

It was interesting to note we lost more points once Ferguson got back into the side than we did while he was out injured. We also only conceeded one more goal than the previous years pairing of Soti and Marvin Andrews, two dominant headers of the ball. I believe we had only conceeded a couple of goals more than celtc come the end.

The repeated line was we had a defence that couldn't defend.

Another example of popular stories becoming established fact over time.

When I look at the calibre of player PLG was linked with. I'm thinking Elmander, Toulalan, Kalstrom, the French keeper plus a few more at that level, I can't help wondering why if he knew he only had 5 or 6 million at his disposal.

I realise (just as he probably did) he probably couldn't have persuaded all those players to come but the fact that was the level of the market he was browsing in has me asking a few questions.

He tried to introduce a number of things he'd obviously employed at Lyon. Double training sessions, no doubt to work on things like technique, tactics, set pieces etc and he tried to ensure players had a correct diet.

There was a backlash to this from certain quarters, the Scottish clique as Hemdani referred to them. I think Le Guen looked at it and realised he had an influential group numbering 4 or 5 who he simply didn't have the budget to replace and thought, this wont work.

It was interesting to note we lost more points once Ferguson got back into the side than we did while he was out injured. We also only conceeded one more goal than the previous years pairing of Soti and Marvin Andrews, two dominant headers of the ball. I believe we had only conceeded a couple of goals more than celtc come the end.

The repeated line was we had a defence that couldn't defend.

Another example of popular stories becoming established fact over time.

I think the problem with the defence was defending from set pieces but apart from that (tu)

I honestly believe if Le Guen got the money that Smith got then he'd have been successful. It's all guesswork these days though and as Muff said earlier in the thread, we've got bigger problems to worry about now.

Is the french league miles better than ours?

Motherwell didnt do too badly in europe against the french team

Rangers and Lyon looked pretty even in the champ league last season 3-3 agg really

although there of course is more class and its a 60m population country

for the size of scotland we more than hold our own and should be doing better as well

We need a revolution like PLG seemed to be.

Except we need it to spell a rangers decade of dominance like this has been for celtic

and the 90s were for rangers

thats why they call me revolution jon

Give him the year at least.

Punt Barry, Boyd and a few others

And then win the 1st Division the following season?

Some of the posters here should take a look at the job he's doing with PSG. He nearly relegated them in his first season, and was close to the chop, but now they're flying high in the top flight, in Europe, and with a team with players of the calibre of Makelele in it.

Where are we? Are we any better off now?

Is he signing the players though or is that done by a general manager?

.. nd Walter Smith and Ally are NOT Rangers men and NOT clued up - errrr................

would you prefer Le Guen to stay or still bump him out the door

Out but along with fergie no player is bigger than the club as Jim Baxter found out god rest him , and he was 10 times the player fergie is or ever will be

I'd tell Le Guen to go and do his homework on the SPL first.

I don't think he was prepared for it, which is a pity because he's got undoubted class as a manager. He's taken a struggling giant in PSG and turned them into one of the most exciting young teams in France.

Struggling giant....that's awfully familiar :anguish: