Rangers will go to deadline

Rangers are resigned to waiting until the final hours of the transfer window before offloading even some of their squad surplus. The club are also no nearer raising the £3m required to address their shortterm cash-flow problems.

Brahim Hemdani was the latest player to be linked with a departure yesterday but The Herald understands the Algerian will refuse to leave until he is paid the remainder of his contract in full.

Villarreal and Espanyol have expressed interest in signing the 30-year-old but he will only consider a transfer if he is allowed to leave for free and receives the last five months of his salary in a lump sum, believed to be in the region of £400,000.

Rangers, in their current financial state, would be reluctant to sanction any severance package, but given Hemdani will not play again for the club, and has publicly expressed his boredom with Scottish football, Rangers may make an exception at the last minute.

Hemdani fell out with the manager and board after demanding a free transfer 18 months ago but with the option of resuming his contract of employment if he could not find a better move.

Regarded as a shop steward in the dressing room, Hemdani has largely represented himself since his Bosman transfer in the summer of 2005. He has recently recruited a French agent, Frederic Dobraje, to find a new club when his contract expires in the summer.

"There has been contact with Villarreal, and Espanyol have shown interest, too," claimed Dobraje, which was news to Rangers last night.

Birmingham City have claimed they are no longer interested in signing Kris Boyd but Alex McLeish may make one final attempt to sign the striker before the deadline, which has been extended to Monday, February 2, at 5pm.

The clubs agreed a £3.75m transfer fee but Boyd has no intention of leaving Rangers for the Coca-Cola Championship for less than £20,000 per week.

Interest in Allan McGregor, Madjid Bougherra and Barry Ferguson has cooled, leaving Sir David Murray to ponder how to make up the shortfall in income caused, in part, by Rangers' Champions League exit at the hands of FBK Kaunas.

There is no interest, either, in Steven Smith or Charlie Adam while Lee McCulloch wants to remain at the club. Others such as Christian Dailly and Graeme Smith could leave in the final hours of Monday.

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/headlines...to_deadline.php

I'm bored and tired of this - no doubt someone will leave in the final few days, maybe even hours and we wont replace them. I was hoping for at least a loan signing but that won't happen either.

If I were potential suitors, I'd wait until the very last moment, make a paltry offer and watch Murray and Bain scramble about at the thought of ££££'s.

I'm still waiting on the 'up to 10 players could leave' Wally - you and I know that was never going to happen. No-one wants our shite and we only have ourselves to blame for Lee McCulloch still being at the club.

A manager, CEO and owner who don't have a fucking clue what they are doing.

We should sell bougherra, as he is probably the only one we could get a big fee for, £5M hopefully would allow us to "service the debt" and bring in a replacement

why is hemdani demanding extra money, if he signs a new contract at a new club, he will earn it back if he gets the same wages wont he?

If we sell Bougherra we are in trouble because there is no chance of bringing in a replacement.

We wont win the league with, Broadfoot, Weir, McCulloch, Webster, Whittaker and Papac.

Surely we could get a fee for Hemdani ? Even £500k or so...

Yeah, get the chairman of another club, chinese burns the bassa and we're in the money!.

WALTER Smith will make his way to Hampden tonight with a squad of players which looks increasingly likely to remain intact by this time next week.

The transfer window does not officially close until 5pm next Monday, but the Rangers manager observed yesterday that it appears to have slammed firmly shut already as far as the Ibrox club are concerned.

Following Kris Boyd's rejection of a move to Birmingham City two weeks ago, Rangers have received no other bids or enquiries for players despite making public their eagerness to sell at least one of them in order to balance the books.

When Smith was asked of the potential consequences if Rangers were not able to make a sale, he conceded he is uncertain.

"I don't really know," said Smith. "We'll need to ask the chairman about that, what the circumstances or consequences would be. He wants to run the club prudently. That's a necessity. But we'll just need to wait and see what happens after that."

Sir David Murray, the Rangers chairman and owner, remains committed to a reduction in the size of the club's first-team squad from 28 to 20 players and a shift towards self-sufficiency with the introduction of more home-grown talent over the next few seasons.

The Scotsman understands, however, that Murray views the raising of at least £3million from a player sale in the current window as desirable rather than imperative.

Smith, hoping to lead Rangers through to a fifth League Cup final when they take on John Hughes' team tonight, appears to have all but written off the prospect of any significant changes to his squad over the next few days.

"We won't be bringing any players in, so I can't really answer that question at the moment," he added.

"We don't know if anyone will be in a position to come and take any of our players. So we could be in the same circumstances this time next week.

"I did say that if we lost a few players, then we would be able to bring in someone if we felt he was the right one to bring in. But we haven't really lost any players yet, apart from Chris Burke (to Cardiff City], so we won't be bringing anyone in if it remains the same."

One player Smith will be bringing back into his starting line-up tonight is Boyd. The club's leading scorer was relegated to the bench for Saturday's goalless draw against Aberdeen at Pittodrie, but the manager will resume a more positive approach against Falkirk.

"We will make the adjustments we have to for the semi-final and return to the way we had been previously," he said. "Falkirk play in an entirely different manner from Aberdeen. We will play the strongest team we can put out. There won't be any changes just for the sake of it.

"I think we showed last season how much the League Cup means to us. We were in among a whole raft of games, but we still wanted to do well in it. It's no different this season. It's always a good thing for the confidence of any team to reach a final.

"While there might be a wee bit of negativity on the outside about the club at the moment, I don't think the players feel that way. The football side of things hasn't been affected by what has been happening. So it would be nice for everyone involved, supporters, players and management, if we could get to the final."

Rangers had to recover from the loss of an early goal to defeat Falkirk 3-1 in the SPL at Ibrox ten days ago and Smith believes their current occupation of 11th place in the table does not do justice to their capabilities.

"I'm a wee bit surprised at the situation Falkirk find themselves in at the moment in the SPL, given the manner of football they play," he said. "Personally, when I look at them, I can only see them getting out of that bother.

"They have always been good against us. Even when we took seven (goals] off them at Ibrox last season, we were 3-2 up with ten minutes to go and they looked more likely to win the game. I always think they are a difficult team to play against.

"They have changed their system a wee bit now, they have tightened up a bit in their last few games, so we have a better idea of what to expect in the semi-final. We will be ready for that."

John Fleck will be given the opportunity to try and unlock the Falkirk defence at the venue where he won a Scottish Cup winner's medal last season with a late appearance as a substitute. The 17-year-old is now in line to make a third successive starting appearance after another eye-catching contribution at Aberdeen.

"Like every young player, we will have to take him out of the team at some stage," said Smith. "But I don't mean for this match, or shortly, but it will just be a natural aspect of what happens with a young player.

"He has shown, by the excellent manner in which he has played the last two games for us, that he deserves his opportunity in front of others who are trying to play in that position. He has shown enough to suggest he will be involved in the majority of our games from now on."

In addition to long-term absentee Kevin Thomson, Rangers are still without Kyle Lafferty and Maurice Edu. Both missed the weekend's draw at Pittodrie although they are expected to be fit in time for Saturday's SPL game against Dundee United at Ibrox. Lafferty has been struggling with ankle and knee problems, while Edu twisted his knee last week.

Scotsman.

I'm bored and tired of this - no doubt someone will leave in the final few days, maybe even hours and we wont replace them. I was hoping for at least a loan signing but that won't happen either.

If I were potential suitors, I'd wait until the very last moment, make a paltry offer and watch Murray and Bain scramble about at the thought of ££££'s.

I'm still waiting on the 'up to 10 players could leave' Wally - you and I know that was never going to happen. No-one wants our shite and we only have ourselves to blame for Lee McCulloch still being at the club.

A manager, CEO and owner who don't have a fucking clue what they are doing.

'up to 10 players could leave' is not actually a quote from Walter, though it could be inferred from what he did say.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us free or even pay off the likes of Dailly and Hemdani. Whether we absolutely need to sell somebody on top of that I'm not sure.

As for McCulloch, yes he did play OK in Aberdeen imho.

Of course McCulloch wants to stay....Walter is his buddy and he'll find a position for him...

If Newcastle lose Given then McGregor will go there i think.

Hopefully we can send Adam out on loan and maybe Stoke will renew their interest in McCulloch

I see Dailly being allowed to just leave .

Hemdani has let me down after the support we all gave him....

We have only a few desireable assets i'm afraid,the rest are just pish

Of course McCulloch wants to stay....Walter is his buddy and he'll find a position for him...

Hopefully we can send Adam out on loan and maybe Stoke will renew their interest in McCulloch

McCulloch will become one of the next coaches there IMO, he seems to be growing roots there. Jobs for the boys springs to mind. Come on Stoke come and get yer man we canny afford the fertiliser :craphead:

See thats it for me, everyone is focusing on LM in this article, he might not be that food, but, at least we will get some effort from him. The worst part is Hemdani. The guy is laughing at us and taking us for a ride here, yet, lets focus on someone who WANTS to be here. We could easily get a small fee for Hemdani, and, some wages off the books, which would help a bit, and, he has no desire to do so, the lazy prick just wants to sit there, taking our money and contributing nothing.

With players like this, clubs should be able to exercise the same type of rights normal employers have. If I went to work, sat there drinking coffee and doing fuck all, I would expect to be sacked, without compensation.

See thats it for me, everyone is focusing on LM in this article, he might not be that food, but, at least we will get some effort from him. The worst part is Hemdani. The guy is laughing at us and taking us for a ride here, yet, lets focus on someone who WANTS to be here. We could easily get a small fee for Hemdani, and, some wages off the books, which would help a bit, and, he has no desire to do so, the lazy prick just wants to sit there, taking our money and contributing nothing.

With players like this, clubs should be able to exercise the same type of rights normal employers have. If I went to work, sat there drinking coffee and doing fuck all, I would expect to be sacked, without compensation.

Thats what I do most of the day, mmmmm should really get aff my arse before someone notices :rolleyes:

Hemdani is a 'lazy prick'. Charming.

What nonsense. Did you read the article? He says he's even hired an agent to speed up his departure. No one has previously shown an interest, so what is he supposed to do if Smith won't pick him?

Xenophobia is rife on here.