***The Official Scum v Rangers Thread***

Muff

I can't uderstand why there are so many calls for Lafferty to start up top on Sunday, from where I am watching the guy is useless. His sitter against Dundee Utd last week (when through on goal) was far worse than Boyds was against the scum, yet some think Lafferty is our best chance of scoring? I don't get this....

I mean how many has he got this season? 5 or something? hardly prolific is it?

Someone took the time to look at his goals to minutes up front ratio last week on RM. It was actually pretty impressive, he's done well in the time he's been played in his proper position.

I wonder how many Boyd would score from left mid ;)

I believe this was the type of post JBM was referring to in his that was instantly jumped on by some. Interesting replies tho :pipe:

it was indeed the type of post i was referring to, but it is consistent if nothing else :clap:

I'm confused by your little cliquey mutterings here :pipe:

You're having a go at Lafferty's goal ratio and I'm simply pointing out that in the minutes that he's had up front, he's done not bad. Then I asked you to think about how Boyd would do as a left winger.

Fair comparison if you're going have a go at Lafferty for his lack of goals.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why has Lafferty became everyones first choice striker after playing what? 45minutes up front or something. Boyd is the top scorer in the UK, so why do about 50% of people not play him or say he's utter pish and anyone could do better?

He gives us goals but little else, that's great against the lower placed teams in the league but against the top couple of teams we need more as his goals are not guaranteed. Lafferty imo will lead the line in a similar fashion to Daniel Cousin, bringing more to the team with his ability to hold the ball up and bring others into attacks.

"He gives us goals but little else"

Forgive my ignorance but arent goals the most important part of the game?

"that's great against the lower placed teams in the league but against the top couple of teams we need more as his goals are not guaranteed."

You are assuming that if Boyd plays he will have a poor game, however I could name about 3-4 players that played far worse than Boyd did in the last OF game and yet no one is calling for these players to be dropped. Some say we would be playing with 10 men if Boyd plays on sunday, does that mean if these 3-4 players start we are then playing with only 7 men?

I will agree with your comment that Boyd's goals arent guaranteed but its a statistical fact that our chances of scoring are vastly increased if he plays on Sunday..... lest we forget the Aberdeen game?

Listening to some of the interviews on RTV and on Rangers World, I think we'll go 4-1-4-1.

:mcgregor:

:broadfoot: :bougherra: :weir: :papac:

:mcculloch:

:davis: :ferguson: :mendes: :fleck:

:lafferty: / :miller:

He doesn't give us goals against Celtic though.

He hardly ever gives us a performance against them.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Boyd has only started 2 games against Celtic in the past 2 seasons and scored one, doesn't that one count?

He never gives a decent performance because he doesnt have that kind of ability. He can't run, he can't pass..he can't hold the ball up... unless its against a poor defence where we will create chance after chance, Boyd will be anonymous.

I don't care how many Boyd fans jump to his rescue and claim he his this and that, they won't change my mind about Boyd. I just don't see what everyone else see's.

However if he plays on Sunday or any other week he will get my support along with the rest of the players. He owes us a BIG performance, as does Ferguson come to think of it.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Boyd has only started 2 games against Celtic in the past 2 seasons and scored one, doesn't that one count?

But he's come on on several occasions.

He never gives a decent performance because he doesnt have that kind of ability. He can't run, he can't pass..he can't hold the ball up... unless its against a poor defence where we will create chance after chance, Boyd will be anonymous.

I don't care how many Boyd fans jump to his rescue and claim he his this and that, they won't change my mind about Boyd. I just don't see what everyone else see's.

However if he plays on Sunday or any other week he will get my support along with the rest of the players. He owes us a BIG performance, as does Ferguson come to think of it.

I cant see how Anyone can argue with this. But i picked him in my team just because Novo is out

and there could be a wee tap in somewhere in the game.

He's got one goal against them in his career

And that's pure semantics. It's two starts, but he's came on against them on several occasions and he's racked up quite a good number of minutes v the Scum.

I cant see how Anyone can argue with this. But i picked him in my team just because Novo is out

The problem is, we wont create as many tap in chances as we do v other teams at the cess-pit. It will be decided on set plays IMO, stick Lafferty in and whip crosses into him and we will get joy out their 2 CB's who are utter shite.

The problem is, we wont create as many tap in chances as we do v other teams at the cess-pit. It will be decided on set plays IMO, stick Lafferty in and whip crosses into him and we will get joy out their 2 CB's who are utter shite.

I think Boyd's pretty good in the air when he's going for goal though, so you'd need to take that into consideration.

He actually uses his 6'2 and 13st frame pretty well in that case. Pity he can't do it when he's needed to hold up a ball!

He's got one goal against them in his career

And that's pure semantics. It's two starts, but he's came on against them on several occasions and he's racked up quite a good number of minutes v the Scum.

I feel I am getting sidetracked from my initial point ....

Boyd asked to play in the last old firm and from where I was watching he didnt do too badly, he wasnt the best player on the park but he certainly wasnt the worst. We created very little in the game as most of the team played poorly and the one chance Boyd did get Boruc saved.

My point is this, had Boyd missed a host of chances, played awful and looked out of place then I could understand the negative comments and everyone jumping on the "drop Boyd bandwagon". However he played just as well most of our players and the one chance he missed I dare say is he got it this Sunday he would bury it. Yet he somehow becomes some sort of scapegoat and the myth that Boyd can't play aginst Celtic rages furher on.

I can't accept that a player is only allowed one chance at something, one game, one opportunity, it's a nonsense.

I think Boyd's pretty good in the air when he's going for goal though, so you'd need to take that into consideration.

He actually uses his 6'2 and 13st frame pretty well in that case. Pity he can't do it when he's needed to hold up a ball!

He won't give McManus and Caldwell any problems though, any long ball up to him (and you know there will be many) he won't win anything. He will try and back in and look for fouls and get hee haw as per usual (where as at the other end you can bet your last quid that McDonald will do the exact same thing and get free kicks all day long..but thats another story..) and we will end up creating nothing. Lafferty at least offers plenty of movement and height to win those high balls we tend to play. Miller offers movement as well but thats about it, he doesnt give any serious goal threat and drops far far too deep for a centre forward, which again will result on us creating very little.

We need a target man to aim at, Boyd is not that man, Lafferty is for this game IMO.

Boyd asked to play in the last old firm and from where I was watching he didnt do too, he wasnt the best player on the park but her certainly wasnt the worst. We created very little in the game as most of the team played poorly and the one chance Boyd did get Boruc saved.

My point is this, had Boyd missed a host of chances, played awful and looked out of place then I could understand the negative comments and everyone jumping on the "drop Boyd bandwagon". However he played just as well most of our players and the one chance he missed I dare say is he got it this Sunday he would bury it. Yet he somehow becomes some sort of scapegoat and the myth that Boyd can't play aginst Celtic rages furher on.

I can't accept that a player is only allowed one chance at something, one game, one opportunity, it's a nonsense.

If Boyd misses an easy chance though PB, he will get criticised.

We've got two strikers here who aren't getting many chances; Boyd not getting many against Celtic and Lafferty not getting his chances in his natural position.

It's a dilemma that Walter's paid well to deal with, I suppose.

You two obviously never opened your peepers (tu)

<cr>

theres a " / " inbetween lafferty and miller.

:)

ahhaa

dumb me.........................i blam the hangover :craphead:

Drink's for mugs :craphead:

Boyd asked to play in the last old firm and from where I was watching he didnt do too, he wasnt the best player on the park but her certainly wasnt the worst. We created very little in the game as most of the team played poorly and the one chance Boyd did get Boruc saved.

We've got two strikers here who aren't getting many chances; Boyd not getting many against Celtic and Lafferty not getting his chances in his natural position.

There is a very easy solution to that problem though Papa and thats to play them both ....

As people have said in many previous posts Lafferty can offer us movement and Boyd can offer us goals. I see no need for us to play 4-5-1 (or 4-1-4-1) against the scum, Davis, Mendes and Ferguson should have enough quality and experiance to dominate without the need of McCulloch.

There is a very easy solution to that problem though Papa and thats to play them both ....

As people have said in many previous posts Lafferty can offer us movement and Boyd can offer us goals. I see no need for us to play 4-5-1 (or 4-1-4-1) against the scum, Davis, Mendes and Ferguson should have enough quality and experiance to dominate without the need of McCulloch.

My reasons for wanting the 4-5-1 are more to do with my worries about Ferguson than my worries about Boyd.

I've said before that I think with Fleck and Aaron flanking Boyd in a 4-5-1 then he'd get chances galore, but I'm not too happy watching Mendes constantly cover for Barry in the 4-4-2.

I think we need an extra man in there for Sunday simply because the captain has been lacking in form so much recently.

My reasons for wanting the 4-5-1 are more to do with my worries about Ferguson than my worries about Boyd.

I've said before that I think with Fleck and Aaron flanking Boyd in a 4-5-1 then he'd get chances galore, but I'm not too happy watching Mendes constantly cover for Barry in the 4-4-2.

I think we need an extra man in there for Sunday simply because the captain has been lacking in form so much recently.

You have just emphasised my original point, Ferguson was one of the players that put in a far poorer performance than Boyd but he will still play regardless. This not only weakens us in the middle but it gives Walter the dilemma of having to play an extra midfielder at the expense of Boyd when what he should be doing is dropping el capitano !!