***The Official Rangers v Kilmarnock Thread***

Muff

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyd's chances of making it are doubtful are they not?

He's got an injury?

Apparently he has the cold and is doubtful.

Mendes is a doubt as well.

Nothing about this on the BBC. Where'd you hear it?

My brother was on the phone and he said the Mendes story was on RTV, i caught something about Boyd being doubtful on RR as i was coming out the shower.

Just back from Ibrox, in view of tomorrow.

All week I knew I was driving to Ibrox myself (usually go with the guy who I gave the RM won raffle ST but he wasn't going this weekend) maybe, or I could drive to Springburn to get my Dad first and then go from there from Clydebank, but I couldn't see in my head the way back from the stadium when thinking about the drive there and back from the house all by myself so I decided to do a test run tonight.

Done it, very chuffed and thats why I passed my driving test - to go to Ibrox and back - and I've proved to myself now I can do it. I have no doubts now for tomorrow.

With Boyd and Mendes doubtful i don't think Smith will risk either of them, maybe have them on the bench. He'll probably line up:

|---------------------------------------:mcgregor:---------------------------------------|

|-:whittaker:-:weir:-:bougherra:-:papac:-|

|-:davis:-:ferguson:-:edu:-:fleck:-|

|--------------------------:miller:-:lafferty:--------------------------|

RANGERS are sweating on the fitness of goal machine Kris Boyd ahead of today's visit of Kilmarnock to Ibrox.

Boyd reported for training yesterday with a heavy cold and is rated at no better than 50-50 to make the match against his former club.

The striker, left, has scored 12 goals against Killie since leaving Rugby Park for Rangers in January 2006 and, given his track record against them, almost certainly will be picked by Walter Smith if he is well enough to play.

The manager will also assess the fitness of Pedro Mendes, who is struggling with a foot injury, but DaMarcus Beasley - on the wrong end of a shocking challenge against Forfar on Wednesday - should be available for selection.

Smith said: "Lee McCulloch will miss the game with a calf strain but Beasley trained this morning after taking a bad kick on his shin and he should be okay.

"Pedro has a bad knock on his foot and it is really painful when he kicks the ball, so we'll see how he is. Boyd has quite a heavy cold, and again, we'll have to wait and see. I think he's about 50-50 to make it."

If Boyd doesn't make it Smith is likely to go with a Kyle Lafferty-Kenny Miller strike partnership and he believes the Scot is nearing top form now that he has shaken off a persistent hamstring problem.

Miller scored his first goals in 10 games at Station Park on Wednesday and his manager is looking for more from him.

Smith added: "Kenny has been hindered recently with the hamstring problem he's had but he was put on an exercise programme and he is seeing the benefit of it.

"He is coming back to something like his level of form. He is a player with really good movement but he was restricted for a period. He came on at Celtic Park and then played against Forfar and looked far brighter and freer in his running than he has for a while so hopefully that will coincidewith a level of goals as well."

Smith is set to give Spanish attacker Aaron Niguez more first-team action after the teenager impressed as a sub in midweek - but the Ibrox gaffer revealed that John Fleck's emergence has been the reason for the Valencia kid's lack of game time.

He said: "Young Aaron has been doing well recently. Like Lafferty and Edu and even John Fleck, the younger ones take their time to settle in here.

"Unfortunately for Aaron, he is starting to do well now at a time when John Fleck has come in and done well in the same position.

"That has been a wee bit awkward for him but he has looked really lively the couple of times we have brought him on and he is now getting ready for consideration in games."

A win this afternoon would put Rangers back on top of the table for at least 24 hours but Smith is taking nothing for granted.

He said:"It would be nice to go back to the top of the league. The most important thing is to try to keep the continuity going. We had a really tough game against Kilmarnock earlier in the season, when we gave away an early goal and had to work very hard to get back into it.

"I always find them a difficult team to come against, especially at Ibrox, where they set out their stall to make it awkward for us."

http://www.<No links to this website>/football/spl/...86908-21140587/