Lack Of Signings...deliberate?

OzGers

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno why some fans are having reservations or worries, it's clear Warburton thinks and builds teams around youth, development and whoever aligns best with his philosophy.

He's said as much plenty of times

It's also what fans wanted from the outset of the division 3 season.

So why, when it's happening, are we worried that Stevie May, Cifti or some other obscure European talent worth a million or so isn't being signed?

It's very simple what his goal is here, and it's long over due.

Lads who have been overlooked will get their chance, McKay, Gallagher, hardie etc, the players we have will be told to play a certain way and do it well or they'll be benched.

We'll still bring in a few more, but the youth deserve their chance to prove they're good enough to merit a starting spot, it's the ideal and perfect scenario. We need to do this to ensure we develop the best talent and win things in style

I honestly think McKay and Gallagher will do really well this season as they seem to link up really well together.

I honestly think McKay and Gallagher will do really well this season as they seem to link up really well together.

Agreed, I hope they've continued to look after themselves in the off season, I hope they've listened to Warburton and weir, took on board what's expected of them and they respond in the correct manner, if they do that, I can easily see them being 2 of our front three this year, if they aren't up to it, hardie, temps, Walsh etc will and if they don't cut it over the next few weeks, I'd expect Warburton to look at a few loans or use his contacts to pick up another 100k-500k signing

Lost 11 and signed 3 so we are light. Especially up front. Light at right full back, left back, centre midfield and on the wing. We are light everywhere except centre back. I would be amazed if Mr Warburton makes the same mistake PLG made and underestimates Scottish football. Something tells me the kids who capitulated more than once last season against Celtic won't be enough to take on the likes of Falkirk, St Mirren and Hibs. We need a huge injection of quality to help these guys.

Agreed, I hope they've continued to look after themselves in the off season, I hope they've listened to Warburton and weir, took on board what's expected of them and they respond in the correct manner, if they do that, I can easily see them being 2 of our front three this year, if they aren't up to it, hardie, temps, Walsh etc will and if they don't cut it over the next few weeks, I'd expect Warburton to look at a few loans or use his contacts to pick up another 100k-500k signing

I think we will still add to the squad especially upfront Warbo will know Young players can be inconsistent and will also at times need a break.

You may be judging individual players against a poor team performance though. A team can get pumped and still have one or 2 players that are good enough for a higher level.

I agree, they can indeed. its just i feel we have to be realistic to what these guys can offer.

Lost 11 and signed 3 so we are light. Especially up front. Light at right full back, left back, centre midfield and on the wing. We are light everywhere except centre back. I would be amazed if Mr Warburton makes the same mistake PLG made and underestimates Scottish football. Something tells me the kids who capitulated more than once last season against Celtic won't be enough to take on the likes of Falkirk, St Mirren and Hibs. We need a huge injection of quality to help these guys.

Those same kids that have lacked any real coaching or chance to develop under previous regimes?

Not fair to judge them on previous results, and that's why Warburton is giving them this chance to impress and state their claim to start.

Agree about RB, but I haven't seen sinnamon, but I do think he can do a turn based in why I've heard, cm, wide positions are more than enough players in IMO, including Eustace, we have Murdoch, shiels, Law, with young Thomson impressing and likely to sign too, wide areas, McKay, Walsh, a hopefully rejuvenated Templeton, Gallagher could play there too, young Stoney being brought into the fold.

We lack striking options and RB options, but there's still alternatives, and a loan for Fredericks looking likely, we are looking like a youthful, high pressing, exciting team

?

I think we will still add to the squad especially upfront Warbo will know Young players can be inconsistent and will also at times need a break.

Yeah, I think so too, and I expect it to be two loans, probably in RB and up front, with Thomson coming in after impressing, Halliday etc, there's options there

This time of year is always a difficult one for clubs, as the transfer fee's are slightly exaggerated due to demand and if you consider what Dave King said previously, he wants to see a squad of players who can progress this year but hold their own next. I do not think MW and DW are anywhere close t that just now, but January may see that change - and I shall tell you for why.

January will see the transfer fee's come back to an expected level and some that we may be able to afford. January will also have seen us bed in some of the youth, so we will know which of them could make it to the end and beyond.

That theory could see MW keep his squad size down to his expected level and keep the blend of youth and experience - however, some of you will see the potential flaw in that if we do not hit the ground running in August, we could be out of the race before it really begins. As dangerous strategy but one I think MW might be considering.

I'm all for giving youth a chance. I've been going on about it for long enough, what's frustrating many people so much is that we are being very slow on the up take of any new signings. It's all very well to go on and on about there being 7 weeks of the window open to go yet, but the league starts in 4, and there's also 2 cup games.

I don't think folk are calling for us to sign a whole team before the season KO, but I think we do need some more.

I hope we sign someone up front and in the middle soon, the promising youngsters can fill the rest of the spaces. But if we don't, we could be out of 2 cup and 6-9 points behind in the race to go up before the windows closed.

That's the worse case scenario and I don't honestly see that happening, but it is becoming something of a concern that we've not even got anyone in danger of signing for us yet.

All seems to have gone cold on Haliday and Wabara!

We lost 11 first team players, we've gained 3

What 11 first team players? Most of the players lost were squad players at best.

Simo/Robinson were back up to bell

Jig/Moshni were back up to McGregor and Zal

Black?

Daly/Boyd?

The only first teamed we lost was the much maligned Foster.

The only one that got pass marks at most was Smith and that is purely because of the freekicks.

I'm not worried. I'll be worried if I see Warburton's team after 5 or so games and he doesn't seem to know what he's doing having failed to create a competitive squad.

I'm pretty confident that won't be the case.

It all really depends on his views on the players that are there just now. Whether he feels, having watched them, that he can get more from the players there or whether some young guys are capable of playing a greater role.

I'd like to see one or two signings, but I'll trust MW's judgement and look forward to seeing younger, homegrown players if we don't sign any.

Patience, grasshoppers.

we do need a few more but the transfer window is open until the end of august/start of september

as i said in another thread, id rather they took the time to get the right players in instead of rushing thru signings to play against Hibs in the petrofac or to please fans moaning about lack of signings.

i will wait until the window is shut before i judge the work being done

This time of year is always a difficult one for clubs, as the transfer fee's are slightly exaggerated due to demand and if you consider what Dave King said previously, he wants to see a squad of players who can progress this year but hold their own next. I do not think MW and DW are anywhere close t that just now, but January may see that change - and I shall tell you for why.

January will see the transfer fee's come back to an expected level and some that we may be able to afford. January will also have seen us bed in some of the youth, so we will know which of them could make it to the end and beyond.

That theory could see MW keep his squad size down to his expected level and keep the blend of youth and experience - however, some of you will see the potential flaw in that if we do not hit the ground running in August, we could be out of the race before it really begins. As dangerous strategy but one I think MW might be considering.

January is the worst time to buy, that's when the fee's are more exaggerated!

With the exception of Mcleoud McCoist farmed out what was supposedly the cream of our youth to gain first team experience. We have all witnessed Crawford etc playing first team football on their return and quite frankly they are poor. There may be some of the latest crop of youngsters coming through who have potential but we must be aware that potential will not get us out of this league. The ABSOLUTE priority for this season is promotion before the manks are out of sight. We need a proven, hungry goal scorer and a midfielder who can both win and pass the ball. This is going to be our most difficult season yet because failure to go up could become cultural and lead to a further generation of supporters lost. I am all for promoting youth but it must done in tandem with good, hardened and experienced pros

With the exception of Mcleoud McCoist farmed out what was supposedly the cream of our youth to gain first team experience. We have all witnessed Crawford etc playing first team football on their return and quite frankly they are poor. There may be some of the latest crop of youngsters coming through who have potential but we must be aware that potential will not get us out of this league. The ABSOLUTE priority for this season is promotion before the manks are out of sight. We need a proven, hungry goal scorer and a midfielder who can both win and pass the ball. This is going to be our most difficult season yet because failure to go up could become cultural and lead to a further generation of supporters lost. I am all for promoting youth but it must done in tandem with good, hardened and experienced pros

Just think in regards to this the severe lack of man management along with the basic disregard for tactics other than long ball when things went wrong under Ally benefited none of the players, especially not the younger lads who were often shunned for the "usuals"

Correct. I defended it as well, because I felt we had to ensure success.

I've had arguments on here with people who were against bringing in experience in neglect of the youths for the last 3 years. That's flip-flopped now. :lol:

The mercenary route was a complete failure in the end, sorry Jim, and we have signed a manager who relies on youth. People need to open their eyes and buy into the 'new' philosophy, that those same people have been preaching in support of for years. Up until now...

Well done for the 'hands up'!

All I would add to that is that it might just take a bit of time to bed in and produce what we hope it will.

It would be helpful to get in a couple (I'm not suggesting going wild) of decent signings to take the pressure off the younger lads as they settle.

We can't afford to get it wrong this year.

While I'm pretty confident more signings will be made, I can understand people's concerns with our first competitive game only being a few weeks away.

I think its the worry that we may use the league to try and get players to gel as we are having no real pre-season, This will be especially tough on the young players as we as a support are not known for our patience.

You can get away with it at the lesser teams that's why there youth become the feeder players for the bigger teams.

January is the worst time to buy, that's when the fee's are more exaggerated!

I beg to differ. If they are not free agents in July, they are contracted and thus the club are happy to keep. January see's the players that have proved to their manager that they are not quite what they are after and/or they need to free up wages to sign those who are, thus January sales and there are plenty to be had.