The Most Frustrating Thing

BridgeIsBlue

Is that we all know how good we can be when we turn up and actually be bothered to win a game of football,so many needlessly dropped points already this season. The longer that Warburton has been with us the more I'm slowly beginning to realize something,that we are always on one extreme of the scale,we're either so fucking woeful we could get football banned or we're that good that we could run right over the top of teams if we wanted to.

The team have been playing utter shite for the majority of this season and have fully deserved everything that comes with it,and they still have a long way to go to convince me that we can be where we need to be in terms of winning the league. 3 points and another performance mirroring Saturday this weekend will do nicely.

4 minutes ago, loyalfollower said:

Problem is for me that we could thump hearts 3-4 nil and quite easily drop points away at Hamilton.  We need consistency

Spot on mate.. and excellent post OP as well.  We need to play the we we can play -- in almost every match.  no side is perfect... But we have to be better than what we've shown for the last  7 months or so.. bar a few matches. (tu) 

17 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Is that we all know how good we can be when we turn up and actually be bothered to win a game of football,so many needlessly dropped points already this season. The longer that Warburton has been with us the more I'm slowly beginning to realize something,that we are always on one extreme of the scale,we're either so fucking woeful we could get football banned or we're that good that we could run right over the top of teams if we wanted to.

The team have been playing utter shite for the majority of this season and have fully deserved everything that comes with it,and they still have a long way to go to convince me that we can be where we need to be in terms of winning the league. 3 points and another performance mirroring Saturday this weekend will do nicely.

Spot on op, also the fact that we don't start well and often are a goal down before we look like we've turned up frustrates me.

I keep moaning about progress (amongst other things ?).

By December I'd expect us to have improved since the summer. I'd expect the same again by next summer and so on.

The rate of progression should be the discussion, ie are we getting where we need to be soon enough.

Instead, I can't say we've progressively improved, merely shown sporadic glimpses and that for me is one of the most galling things for a full time professional team.

33 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Where I take exception is phrased like '.. when we turn up and .... and be bothered to win a game ' and while some of our play has not been exceptional :pipe: the fact we win games late shows we keep the effort going all the way - we 'turn up' but some times have not clicked - we all know we need more consistency and quality and building a squad that has that takes time and confidence - we all hope e now kick on. 

The thing that annoys me is that there are too many options to what our problems can be. Is it just inconsistency (although we are consistently badder than good), is it lack of bottle with the players, is it bad coaching, Is it not having a settled starting 11, is it the formation, etc etc?

My personal opinion is that we keep chopping and changing too much and when we start a game, we are constantly like a new team trying to gel. Settle the team down and add some quality and we will come on leaps and bounds. Well, I hope it's that straight forward anyway.  

4 hours ago, Bluepeter9 said:

Where I take exception is phrased like '.. when we turn up and .... and be bothered to win a game ' and while some of our play has not been exceptional :pipe: the fact we win games late shows we keep the effort going all the way - we 'turn up' but some times have not clicked - we all know we need more consistency and quality and building a squad that has that takes time and confidence - we all hope e now kick on. 

I get what you mean, but I think the point is that we don't do enough of the things you have to do consistently, to regularly produce the right results.

It's often down to a great finish out of the blue - Kenny at Inverness, scoring a peach with our first shot on target on Saturday, Nico having his only flash of what he can do v Partick, Dodoo's cracker at Firhill, Hodson, barely kicked a ball & scores a belter.....

The only constant is that somehow, someone has come up with something out of the ordinary, which has been the only difference.

Think about how you remember DJ scoring a goal, or McCoist, or Boyd.

I'm sure we all have a mental picture of what a typical goal for one of them was.

You couldn't say that about the current team.

But sticking with it to the end is an admirable quality & you won't find me arguing with that.

5 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Some fair points there but I kinda disagree.

We aren't a good team. We have really average players but even poor teams with average players play fantastic from time to time.

We did it against Dundee in Jan, Celtic in April, Kilmarnock a month ago .. and we did it against Aberdeen on Saturday.

I'm not unhappy at the Aberdeen performance and result - it was massive and just what we needed, but I've seen it too many times we all get ahead of ourselves after one performance. 

We have a long way to go and everything to prove. Every criticism of the team was still perfectly valid for me before Saturday and still valid now. 90 minutes doesn't change anything for me.

As you say we need consistency but we don't need the cracks papered over either. We need BOTH a good team with good players AND the consistency.

16 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Some fair points there but I kinda disagree.

We aren't a good team. We have really average players but even poor teams with average players play fantastic from time to time.

We did it against Dundee in Jan, Celtic in April, Kilmarnock a month ago .. and we did it against Aberdeen on Saturday.

I'm not unhappy at the Aberdeen performance and result - it was massive and just what we needed, but I've seen it too many times we all get ahead of ourselves after one performance. 

We have a long way to go and everything to prove. Every criticism of the team was still perfectly valid for me before Saturday and still valid now. 90 minutes doesn't change anything for me.

As you say we need consistency but we don't need the cracks papered over either. We need BOTH a good team with good players AND the consistency.

What do you mean ka?

Just now, CoopsLaud said:

What do you mean ka?

What I mean is that we are a poor team with average players and that average teams with poor players still have the odd good game. 

I gave examples of them including Aberdeen on Saturday.

I don't really agree with the narrative that we are a good team deep down but just suffering from consistency.We are suffering from being an average team. 

7 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

What I mean is that we are a poor team with average players and that average teams with poor players still have the odd good game. 

I don't really agree with the narrative that we are a good team deep down but just suffering from consistency.We are suffering from being an average team. 

Thanks for the clarification.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I agree - and we’re suffering that from insufficient investment. I won’t go into Boardroom stuff here, but money was promised, and it hasn’t been delivered, and we’re dining off scraps. I think Warburton is too proud to admit he can’t fashion a title winning team from that, and demand money, and he will end up carrying the can.

Does everybody think this squad should be winning every week? I most certainly don't. This squad is performing exactly as I thought since the beginning of the season because it's not good enough - it's really that simple.  If no significant investment is found this squad will keep dropping points regularly - it's that simple.  

Thst said, I still think we will get second but this league may be won by a record margin! 

7 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Have to feel some sympathy for MW as I can just see him thinking (like a lot of us did) that he had a much higher quality midfield lined up in the summer with Barton, Niko and Rossiter. Sure in his mind 2 of the 3 would have played every game and the quality would have been better hopefully bringing along players like Holt, McKay etc.

Then 1 tosser and 2 injuries later they're gone. 

Agree with above post.

MW expected to have more a less a completely different starting 11 this season, hence the reason we brought in 9 players despite originally saying only 3 or 4 would be brought in last summer. However, various factors such as form, injuries and suspensions we're currently playing with virtually the same starting 11 that was used the majority of last season with the exception of maybe Garner and Hill.

IMO MW obviously realised the team from last year wouldn't be good enough.

If everything had went to plan Kiernan, Wilson, Halliday, Holt, Miller, MOH, Forrester, MOH and even Hill would arguably have all been squad players or rotated here and there. As it stands they are pretty much the bulk of our starting 11 every week.

13 hours ago, loyalfollower said:

Problem is for me that we could thump hearts 3-4 nil and quite easily drop points away at Hamilton.  We need consistency

Consistency comes with a higher calibre of player.

If you are signing guys from Wigan, Acceington Stanley & Preston then you are going to get inconsistency regardless of who the manager is.

At the weekend it was an improved performance and could to see us trying different ways of breaking the opposition down. We were still playing into corners, wide areas too much for me - a better defensive unit can still snuff us out to easily but I hope this is the start of a good run of wins. 

12 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I keep moaning about progress (amongst other things ?).

By December I'd expect us to have improved since the summer. I'd expect the same again by next summer and so on.

The rate of progression should be the discussion, ie are we getting where we need to be soon enough.

Instead, I can't say we've progressively improved, merely shown sporadic glimpses and that for me is one of the most galling things for a full time professional team.

That's the thing that gets on my nerves as well mate, my son plays at a decent level for being 10yr old and I see great progress in him as an individual and also the group of boys playing.  They train 3 times a week...They absorb everything like a sponge.

I would expect our group of players to have found consistency, best 11 and demonstrating progress by now.

Not good enough, hopefully we can kick on now and ensure Hill, Miller, Haliday and Garner are mainstays in our team. 

4 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Consistency comes with a higher calibre of player.

If you are signing guys from Wigan, Acceington Stanley & Preston then you are going to get inconsistency regardless of who the manager is.

I know this, but I'm hoping he can coach the inconsistency out of the players. I mean every player has had to start somewhere and then if they're serious enough they'll develop up the football ladder

On 5 December 2016 at 7:48 PM, Bluepeter9 said:

Saturday was one of the very few times we have been really fired up before kick-off.  I could see a difference in the pace of the final warm up that we were going to war.  This is the very least we expect every game and hasn't been the case.