1872 Or 1873

The Wee General

Since the late 50's onwards I was under the impression it was 1873, as that was what was on the main stand and on programmes etc., even the centenary match against Arsenal as stated above seemed to justify this date, but now that proof has come out that we were actually formed in 1872, I will go with the new evidence and happily concede my previous understanding.

Historians worldwide are discovering new truths about all sorts of so called "historical facts" due to advances in detective equipment and methods that debunk previous knowledge, it causes argument but does not change the fact that the new information is now the correct knowledge and the history books have to be rewritten, such is progress.

:uk:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rangers won the Scottish cup final against ra celic (big tams rocket)in 1973,the 100th anniversary of the sfa.if this is so, in which league did rangers play in before then!!!

The point is not when the SFA were 100 years old, but when The Rangers were 100 years old, and it is now proven they were formed in 1872.

Many teams were formed before any official league bodies were established.

rangers won the Scottish cup final against ra celic (big tams rocket)in 1973,the 100th anniversary of the sfa.if this is so, in which league did rangers play in before then!!!

Aye they just made up the matches they played before that

Just out of interest, what was the new evidence?

:lol:

I should have probably used the term "new information to me" rather than new evidence of the fact that I personally thought for many years we were founded in 1873. I was correctly informed by others wiser that we were actually founded in 1872.

Once it was explained and evidence was produced, through various publications and the people researching our past, I saw that my understanding of the dates was incorrect and this new information/evidence made sense to me and corrected my understanding of the dates.

I remember back in the old days when everything was in black and white, the late 60s, the programmes of the time used to have a drawing of Ibrox with 1873 on it, so I really can't believe the nonsense about the club didn't have time to arrange the centenary.

I had never heard the OPs original anecdote, would be interesting to know where that came from. Other than the reference it The Gallant Pioneers are there other sources for 1872?

I take it the club themselves have no opinion on this, surely some bugger must know. Until then I am still going with 1873, as these days I get confused easily.

Well we were all wrong in those days. The correct year is 1872. The club does have an opinion on it and it is 1872. Read my post number 8 on this thread, check out the Gallant pioneers site and look at the RFC web site. If you still think it is 1873 despite the evidence showing it as 1872 then you have a problem.

I had a Centenary Scarf stating 1873-1973.

That will do for me.

If others say 1872.that's fine also.

Each to their own.

You can't have "each to their own" about historical facts. If the club was actually started in 1872 and not 1873 then 1872 is correct. Why is that so difficult to understand?

Since the late 50's onwards I was under the impression it was 1873, as that was what was on the main stand and on programmes etc., even the centenary match against Arsenal as stated above seemed to justify this date, but now that proof has come out that we were actually formed in 1872, I will go with the new evidence and happily concede my previous understanding.

Historians worldwide are discovering new truths about all sorts of so called "historical facts" due to advances in detective equipment and methods that debunk previous knowledge, it causes argument but does not change the fact that the new information is now the correct knowledge and the history books have to be rewritten, such is progress.

Once Scotland gains independence history will be rewrtitten and big bad Rangers will never have existed, allowing President Sturgeon and Sports Minister Liewell to award all our trophies to cellic.

Still have the copy my dad bought me all those years ago when this book was first published.

sec8e956c6f6d9155a2b4a484177434f414f4141.

Because at the time it was published the only information we had came from 1873 and after. Since then new information has came about proving we were in fact first formed and played games in 1872. As other have said its a historical fact and i dont see why some people cant seem to grasp the concept.

Because at the time it was published the only information we had came from 1873 and after. Since then new information has came about proving we were in fact first formed and played games in 1872. As other have said its a historical fact and i dont see why some people cant seem to grasp the concept.

Wasn't arguing against that so no need to imply I was, merely showing that it was long held that we were founded in 1873. Probably why we held our centenary match in 1973 not 1972. Mind you were kinda busy in 72.

Still have the copy my dad bought me all those years ago when this book was first published.

sec8e956c6f6d9155a2b4a484177434f414f4141.

John Allan's book, 'the Story of the Rangers - fifty years of football' fails badly in it's first chapter, 'the Origins of Rangers'. John Allan writes of lusty lads, rowing, Glasgow Green, derring-do, and claims Rangers were founded in 1873. It's neat, four teenagers from the Gareloch probably had an interest in rowing, as a means of travel in an age before metalled roads, but Rangers were founded in the West End Park(Kelvingrove Park) in the second week of February 1872. All the old Scottish football annuals of the late 19th century and early 20th century credit Rangers founding as 1872. Similarly, the Wee Blue Books of the same period show the founding as 1872.

Why did John Allan change our founding to 1873?

Simply, he missed the print deadline on the first fifty years, 1872-1922; thus changed it to 1873-1923. The Printers of said tome minuted Allan's missing of the deadline. Aird and Coghill were not amused; however, the Club went along with Allan and organised the 50 year celebratory dinner for 1923. John Allan missed the deadline because he was more intent on compiling the statistics of the club, and the pull-out sheet that accompanies the book is most worthy. John Allan was not a Historian.