Builders Hats in the sixties/seventies

I was trying to explain to my nephew about the 'bump hats' that builders used to wear being popular at the football in the sixties/seventies and how they wear painted up with the crest and other such decoration.

Does anyone remember owning one? Or even better have any pics of them to explain what I mean to him?

Cheers in advance!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mines was painted union jack style us young yins needed them in those days standing near the front while bottles and cans got chucked from the back...

My old man used to send me down the front of the terrace, what was he thinking the maniac. The thing is as a kid you had no sense of fear and it didn't bother you. I shit myself now thinking about it though. Haha

It was big btls of Whitbread and Newcastle brown.....not your 330ml lightweight btls of today ...............ouch!!

Was it just the odd few or the majority? Surely those throwing bottle would have got a good smack in the face for dickish behaviour?

Was it just the odd few or the majority? Surely those throwing bottle would have got a good smack in the face for dickish behaviour?

Used to be horrendous if we were getting beat.............Semi final against Newcastle was one that I recall as being really bad...........and I was behind the dugouts that night at St James.......guys on the bevvy all day.

i had one that my da got for me that i painted with the crest and the union jack and i had some wee photos of my fav players stuck on too,my da also got me one of them klaxon horns with the gas bottle,fkk me that was loud.if i remember rightly the hard hats were hard to come by as there wasn't a lot of them around in those days. early 70's..and oh aye there were a lot of bottles flying (if we were losing)

They still use these in South African footy today... although not for protection from bevvied footy fans lobbing empties in the terraces... it's just a decoration these days...

Ridiculous looking but still better better than a Vuvuzela...

http://www.google.com/search?q=Makarapa&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=H-6QUevsD8SM7QaGlYCIAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=852

Would be interseted to see what a Rangers one looked like can fin any pics...

I was trying to explain to my nephew about the 'bump hats' that builders used to wear being popular at the football in the sixties/seventies and how they wear painted up with the crest and other such decoration.

Does anyone remember owning one? Or even better have any pics of them to explain what I mean to him?

Cheers in advance!

sounds like some fans got too involved in the whole YMCA song, taking the fashions to the terraces.

Used to be horrendous if we were getting beat.............Semi final against Newcastle was one that I recall as being really bad...........and I was behind the dugouts that night at St James.......guys on the bevvy all day.

I was at that game. Big John Greig came up to our end to try to stop the bottles getting chucked onto the pitch, some guy near us shouted "and you've been fuckin' shite aw nite tae" before launching a Newccy Broon bottle at him.

I also remember standing on the terracing with my Dad at Ibrox when it was too packed to get down the front and bevvied up punters all around pissing where they stood, getting pushed from the back and inevitably pishing down the back of some poor cunt in front of them with the shouts of, "awfurrfuxsake ya dirty cunt".

I was at that game. Big John Greig came up to our end to try to stop the bottles getting chucked onto the pitch, some guy near us shouted "and you've been fuckin' shite aw nite tae" before launching a Newccy Broon bottle at him.

I also remember standing on the terracing with my Dad at Ibrox when it was too packed to get down the front and bevvied up punters all around pissing where they stood, getting pushed from the back and inevitably pishing down the back of some poor cunt in front of them with the shouts of, "awfurrfuxsake ya dirty cunt".

:lol::lol:

Us youngsters really have no idea, do we. It's all fucking cucumber sandwiches and cups of tea these days in comparison.