Periscope Fans on Scotland Tonight

WadeWilson

Created quite a stir. There is a full debate right now on Scotland Tonight.

And, to that wee tit on Twitter who wanted to grass folk in - it's not illegal, either to watch it nor to film it.

There is no way of copyrighting an actual live football game, just the broadcast of a live football game.

The power-brokers won't like this...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The periscope lad did good. Fair fucks to him - but we are spoiled rotten. What did everyone do back in the days, not that long ago, maybe 20 odd years ago when hardly any games were ever on TV - you had the Scottish Cup Final and that was it.

Just now, K.A.I said:

The periscope lad did good. Fair fucks to him - but we are spoiled rotten. What did everyone do back in the days, not that long ago, maybe 20 odd years ago when hardly any games were ever on TV - you had the Scottish Cup Final and that was it.

The Scotland v England Schoolboy international was a major event back then as it was one of the few matches to be shown live.

8 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

Those boys did us a big turn last night....when we had NO LIVE RADIO nor TV COVERAGE.

It made for an amazing night in here.

Those guys are almost as heroic as the guy who filmed that shit-hot cam of the Deadpool movie.

36 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

BBC world service, short wave transmission with commentary or sometimes only updates from Paddy Feeny who if he wasn't actually a Bear always managed to sound like one.  I used to sit outside in my old suv cause the radio had better reception.  Changed days.  Tell that to young cunts today and thy won't believe you.:D

38 minutes ago, GMac said:

The Scotland v England Schoolboy international was a major event back then as it was one of the few matches to be shown live.

Aye, Rangers fans would watch tht much looking for upcoming young players, bheasts would watch having a Sherman  :matron:

48 minutes ago, WadeWilson said:

I can remember spending whole Saturdays parked in front of Ceefax with the generic Scottish football radio show on waiting for 'goalflashes'.

Yip me too :lol:

Now and then, I'd sometimes avoid the score if it was on Sportscene at night (back when there was 20-30 mins highlights), and it was like watching it "mini-live"

I mind once I did this, and I came home from work, and my little brother started to start speaking about the match ....

"DONT TELL ME THE SCORE, I DONT WANNA KNOW"
"but, but .. " 
"SHUT UP, I'M WATCHING IT LATER"
"but, I'm no gonna say the score"
"Right, ye better no, whit is it?"
"I was only gonna say that Ally McCoist scored the only goal"

I laugh now, but I could've murdered the wee fucker at the time :lol:

58 minutes ago, Helicopter Sundae said:

Those boys did us a big turn last night....when we had NO LIVE RADIO nor TV COVERAGE.

It made for an amazing night in here.

Also, noticed how little the conversation or coverage from BBC last night and, particularly, on their podcast from last night and today. It is almost as if they have taken a total blanket minimum discussion about us, in reaction to the ban. The station is fast becoming a pariah, and it is about time their paymasters in London/Salford sorted this out as they are running this station through the mud.

I wish I had known this was going ahead last night as it would have been a novel way of watching the football. 

Instead I switched my phone off and watched films up until midnight then caught the game on Rangers TV using a VPN. Quite enjoyed it tbh, cracking open a beer at midnight on a Tuesday :D

6 hours ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

Also, noticed how little the conversation or coverage from BBC last night and, particularly, on their podcast from last night and today. It is almost as if they have taken a total blanket minimum discussion about us, in reaction to the ban. The station is fast becoming a pariah, and it is about time their paymasters in London/Salford sorted this out as they are running this station through the mud.

Heard a bit of this on the way home from the game! Was a total Hibs/Stubbs love in, how amazing they are, going to be a special season!?! Best midfield there is, McGinn best midfielder in Scotland??? Was pathetic!

All i'm thinking is that they are eight points behind!! And we have pumped them twice already!

7 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

Created quite a stir. There is a full debate right now on Scotland Tonight.

And, to that wee tit on Twitter who wanted to grass folk in - it's not illegal, either to watch it nor to film it.

There is no way of copyrighting an actual live football game, just the broadcast of a live football game.

The power-brokers won't like this...

Its against the ground regulations at ibrox too take pictures or film when the players are on the pitch (so i assume every ground is the same ) now obv like a few regs this isnt enforced but if the tv companies take the hump then it could become an issue 

I'm pretty sure that Man Utd have banned fans from taking i-pads, and other tablets into the game, because fans were using them to record the game.

I don't think that it's illegal to film the game with a phone, however, if you film it, then charge people to watch, I think that is when the plods could be involved. Clubs may very well be able to take fans to court for recording games, using their phones, but it would, surely, be a civil court, not a criminal court, I think??

9 hours ago, WadeWilson said:

I can remember spending whole Saturdays parked in front of Ceefax with the generic Scottish football radio show on waiting for 'goalflashes'.

That was in the golden days of Saturday football at 3pm.

the radio commentary was great as well, only got last 5 mins of the first half, and the full second half.

Seeing live football involved going to the game, and when you did it felt a bit more special, as football wasn't on telly as much.

6 minutes ago, TheBluebells said:

The debate should be focused on the ridiculous UEFA laws and shambolic scheduling by the SFA rather than the legalities of a periscope broadcast due to it. 

It's not shambolic scheduling; it was a replay, they couldn't have left it any later. That the first match was shown on tv should have meant that the replay, at a smaller venue as well, should have been shown.  Both our game and the Edinburgh derby would generate a great deal of interest to the football fan here. The rule that states only CL can be shown on television is both absurd, and unfair.

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

It was that long ago ,I had forgotten  I did this too .ffs we are showing our age :)

Then Sky started showing Old Firm cup games. Remember sneaking into the pub and getting served to watch the semi-final that Laudrup scooped the ball with his outstep over an onrushing Celtic keeper. We were given out free half-pies at half time and as the ball bounced into the net for that second goal there was an explosion of grey gristle as a Scotch pie missile exploded against the telly up in the corner. Obviously we were in mixed company. 

After that I am pretty sure that STV must have had the rights to show a league-decider as I watched Gazza seal eight-in-a-row with Gerry McNee's famous 'This is the hat-trick and the championship' commentary.

And, of course, who can forget when the BBC gained the rights and you didn't even have to leave the house to watch over the whole season. Big Eck's team playing in those scintillating 3-3 and 3-2 Old Firm thrillers were obvious highlights, as was the BBC1/BBC2 split double-bill of both games during Helicopter Sunday.

Nowadays, folk just take it for granted that you can see any old game, bring VipLeague up and, bingo. Not really the same.

9 hours ago, GMac said:

I remember watching a future Rangers player scoring a hat-trick for England in that fixture and finishing on the losing side.  (5-4 to Scotland). 

Paul Rideout.

(Is a spoiler blank another basic feature missing from this forum software?)

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's not shambolic scheduling; it was a replay, they couldn't have left it any later. That the first match was shown on tv should have meant that the replay, at a smaller venue as well, should have been shown.  Both our game and the Edinburgh derby would generate a great deal of interest to the football fan here. The rule that states only CL can be shown on television is both absurd, and unfair.

They could go back to the days when a replay was played during the week after the initial fixture. 

1 minute ago, Briton said:

I remember watching a future Rangers player scoring a hat-trick for England in that fixture and finishing on the losing side.  (5-4 to Scotland). 

Paul Rideout.

(Is a spoiler blank another basic feature missing from this forum software?)

Would have been a great wee trivia teaser with the spolier thingy.