Windass, Rossitter and Holt

Big Al 55

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Was impressed once again with Windass yesterday. Looking forward to a midfield of him, Rossitter and Holt. I'm sure there's still a place somewhere for Halliday too. Be good to see what Crooks has to offer as well, he was rated as the better player of the two apparently.

Once again, no mention of Harry Forrester.  A guy who has played CAM for us a few times this season already and been one of our top performers.  I'd be happy if our mid field against Ross County was Rossiter, Windass, and Forrester.  Holt, Halliday and Crooks are unproven in the top-tier.

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Once again, no mention of Harry Forrester.  A guy who has played CAM for us a few times this season already and been one of our top performers.  I'd be happy if our mid field against Ross County was Rossiter, Windass, and Forrester.  Holt, Halliday and Crooks are unproven in the top-tier.

To be fair they are all unproven in the top tier!

1 minute ago, DESGER said:

To be fair they are all unproven in the top tier!

Rossiter, Windass, and Forrester have looked good in recent weeks so I'd trust those three in midfield.  Halliday has been poor so far, Holt and Crooks haven't even kicked a ball.

16 hours ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Why is Holt rated so highly on here? He has done nothing since the turn of the year and if you were to take away his running ability he is left as an average footballer. Windass is Holt if he could also play football to a good level, our midfield three should be Rossiter, Forrester and Windass but that trio won't be good enough for future European campaigns although it will do for next seasons Europa League (I assume we'll qualify) 

Holt was our best player by a mile for 5/6 games roundabout Christmas. The whole team did nothing after the turn of the year (apart from a few games) so wouldn't pin that on Holt. As for him being an average footballer I disagree completely. He gets into good attacking positions and offers something that none of our other midfielders do. Its become really obvious that we miss him after the start we've had this season.

18 hours ago, wullyRFC said:

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a clause in his contract.

I said in another thread that I heard from someone(not Kenny millers neighbour)that he has a start in every old firm game in his contract but they also said he also  only has to train 2 days a week and spends the rest down south in Liverpool 

but could be a lot of pish

Talking with folk over the weekend general consensus was that those 3 should be our starting midfield. As for the front 3 I believe that Kenny still has something to offer and our front 3 should be Waghorn, Garner, Miller/Forrester 

This 3 in the middle is the future. It wasn't just going forward that Windass impressed me, his energy closing players down was outstanding. Really showed Barton up in comparison because he looked like he was working for the both of them.

As well as a shit work rate Barton thinks he's Pirlo and has gifted the opposition possession in every game with his poor long passing. Rossiter has been tidy on the whole and is the man going forward.

Holty will shine under beside these two, and suddenly we've got a midfield 3 with bags of energy and direct attacking threat.

Krancjar can still give us an option off the bench in the last 20 where other tired legs don't show him up as much. Barton will be good round the club and will hopefully improve once he realised he is no longer first choice. If he is past it for good, which could be the case at his age, then at least we have one of the best young holding midfielders in the UK to permanently take his place.

3 minutes ago, borderbear said:

This 3 in the middle is the future. It wasn't just going forward that Windass impressed me, his energy closing players down was outstanding. Really showed Barton up in comparison because he looked like he was working for the both of them.

As well as a shit work rate Barton thinks he's Pirlo and has gifted the opposition possession in every game with his poor long passing. Rossiter has been tidy on the whole and is the man going forward.

Holty will shine under beside these two, and suddenly we've got a midfield 3 with bags of energy and direct attacking threat.

Krancjar can still give us an option off the bench in the last 20 where other tired legs don't show him up as much. Barton will be good round the club and will hopefully improve once he realised he is no longer first choice. If he is past it for good, which could be the case at his age, then at least we have one of the best young holding midfielders in the UK to permanently take his place.

Thing is Barton and Niko didn't join us to sit on the bench so don't expect the manager to do that.

We are stuck with them sadly.

Just now, The Godfather said:

Thing is Barton and Niko didn't join us to sit on the bench so don't expect the manager to do that.

We are stuck with them sadly.

This will be the making or breaking of this manager and our season. You can throw his favourites like Kiernan into that group as well.

1 minute ago, borderbear said:

This will be the making or breaking of this manager and our season. You can throw his favourites like Kiernan into that group as well.

Yeah I'd drop them all but he wont.

Barton and Niko will have joined on the basis of playing first team football.

1 minute ago, The Godfather said:

Yeah I'd drop them all but he wont.

Barton and Niko will have joined on the basis of playing first team football.

This is where the manager earns his corn. They may have joined for first team football but if they aren't the best we have then they don't play. 

21 hours ago, Big Al II said:

Was impressed once again with Windass yesterday. Looking forward to a midfield of him, Rossitter and Holt. I'm sure there's still a place somewhere for Halliday too. Be good to see what Crooks has to offer as well, he was rated as the better player of the two apparently.

Could be a midfield that will serve us for a few years

I don't believe MW knows what his strongest, most effective team selection is.   He insists on talking only about the squad as a whole and that he has confidence in the whole squad and that it is sufficient for his needs.   But only 11 can start a game and 3 subs can be deployed.    So far the evidence by way of results and performances would seem to me to suggest that while he may have confidence that his squad is sufficient that confidence is not being translated anything like well enough into actual results and quality of performance.

So something fundamental is still missing from MW's armoury as a manager.   He is not able to stop talking about needing to learn or analysing or defending his position by saying before and after each game that they trained well and prepared well and talked as a group.   He needs to start shifting his own performance as a manager into producing sustained runs of winning games.   If not, then the fundamental thing that is missing is the right manager to get the best out of that squad of players.   That squad is all we have for this season barring any few low cost signings that can be made in the Jan transfer window.   Its time he started to deliver this season and time he got the squad delivering this season  In fact, he's missing the boat in terms of getting going.  If they don't gel and get their act together very quickly then I suspect MW is going to come under even more pressure not only from the Support but from King.  

King may be prepared to accept second place so long as results mean there is European football to be played at Ibrox next season but if that objective looks like it might not be met then a different approach would be needed.    We are not here to be a test ground for MW's theories on management and coaching while he learns his way up the football management ladder.  We are here for 55 then build from there.  That should be compatible with MW's development as a manager - but not if the performances and results keep to their track record since April this year.

18 hours ago, In Dungeons Deep said:

Foderingham; Tavernier, Senderos, Wilson, Wallace; Rossiter, Windass, Forrester; Waghorn, McKay, Garner.

That is our best XI at present imo 

Senderos in your best 10 after his atrocious game on saturday? Is that you Warburton on here using a different name you jester! 

There are undoubtedly question marks over MW ATM, and he fully deserves criticism. But how can we reasonably expect to change the club from the bottom up including a paradigm shift in footballing philosophy if we give him 4 games without spitting the dummy?

Are we now accepting that the whole sum of our ambition is to be able to compete with Celtic in this backwater league?

I'm not saying he is the right person, but if we don't give him a chance and a decent amount of time, i.e. IMO end of next season then we are just accepting it's at all costs; results first...football second. We've been there before and it was pretty dire stuff at times.

We're also sending out the message to all other potential candidates just how little time they're likely to receive and just how unrealistic as a fan base we actually are.

Don't want to make Barton the scapegoat, I think we deserve to see how he performs in a more mobile midfield. 

However ATM it seems to me that MW will stand or fall by what he does with Barton and Kranjcar. If we have the likes of Rossitter, Forrester, Holt, Crooks, Windass, McKay and Halliday pushing for starting slots I would hope he has the balls to drop them if performances are not up to the expected standards.

We are picking a team at is totally against our style of play, if the manager can't see that then I'm sorry but his time is coming. 

He seems to have thought that the answer to our poor defence isn't get better defenders but to set his midfield up to be defensive. When we were winning games it was because our midfield was so great at getting forward at pace and ripping their defence apart.