Derek Ferguson's Old Firm Player Ratings

Gaz52

Wes Foderingham (goalkeeper) 7 - Pulled off a couple of excellent saves and didn't have much chance with Armstrong's strike for the Celtic goal.

Lee Hodson (right-back) 8 - Came in at right-back and despite the intensity and pressure of the match, he played well and made some good decisions

Clint Hill (centre-back) 8 - For a guy approaching 39 he did so well against the quality of Dembele. Maybe got away with a couple of challenges but led by example and scored crucial equaliser.

Danny Wilson (centre-back) 8 - He's not the quickest but his reading of the game was good and he linked well with Hill.

Lee Wallace (left-back) 8 - We're used to seeing more of him as an attacking threat but he was more conservative and kept things solid.

James Tavernier (centre midfield) 6 - He was moved forward into midfield and put in a good shift, but his set-pieces were poor throughout.

Jason Holt (centre midfield) 6 - Took a bad touch that led to Celtic's goal but worked very hard against quality players in the Celtic midfield.

Emerson Hyndman (centre midfield) 8 - Playing in an area where he had to roll his sleeves up and work hard. Did that side of the game very well and also had the shot that led to the equaliser.

Martyn Waghorn (striker) 5 - He missed two big chances and there's no excuse for the first. In his position you're judged on goals and he should be taking those chances.

Kenny Miller (striker) 8 - He was excellent, driving and motivating the rest of the team. The fact Scott Brown was asked to cover him after the break showed just how effective he was.

Barrie McKay (wing) 5 - A disappointing day for the winger. Rangers got the ball to him in the first half but he didn't do anything with it. We expect more from him but he'll come again.

------------------------------

Well it's safe to say Derek Ferguson must have been sniffing glue during these ratings. Does anyone actually agree with them?

The McKay one is fair that's about it I'd say.

When you look at how the tim players were rated, Lego-Muncher got an 8 but Tavernier and Holt got a 6... Fair enough someone different done their ratings but come on.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wes - Agree

Hodson - Agree

Hill - I'd say warrants a 9

Wilson - Agree

Wallace - maybe closer to 7

Tav - I'd say a 7 at least

Holt - a 8. Showed plenty aggression

Hyndman - Closer to 6, about 20 mins good play and an assist

Waghorn - Closer to 6 maybe even 7. Yeah missed chances but had much better chances than any Celtic player

Miller - closer to 7, two good assists but that's about it

McKay - Agree, but part n parcel of being a winger 

9 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Wes - Agree

Hodson - Agree

Hill - I'd say warrants a 9

Wilson - Agree

Wallace - maybe closer to 7

Tav - I'd say a 7 at least

Holt - a 8. Showed plenty aggression

Hyndman - Closer to 6, about 20 mins good play and an assist

Waghorn - Closer to 6 maybe even 7. Yeah missed chances but had much better chances than any Celtic player

Miller - closer to 7, two good assists but that's about it

McKay - Agree, but part n parcel of being a winger 

It isn't though. That's just become the new catchphrase that gets brought out on here whenever he's had yet another shocker.

Brown got an 8 because once again we let him play and the mhedia love it when teams do that.

Give any player the space and 'respect' that our midfield gave him yesterday (and the previous games) then they are going to act tough and not put much of a foot wrong.

If we stick a boot in, legally, and do not back down to Brown or bottle out of challenges, and close him down everytime he has the ball (forcing him to pass back all the time) then he wont get more than a 4 in the SF.

Think Hill deserved a 9 because of his performance against their main threat.

I watched the game back earlier and Waggy got tore into them right from the off. Held the ball up well a few times and it not for a poor touch a couple of times would have had another couple of good chances to add to the two that he did miss. He should be scoring though, no excuses. 

9 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

It isn't though. That's just become the new catchphrase that gets brought out on here whenever he's had yet another shocker.

No, it's just Wingers in general. 

O'halloran is exactly the same. Hell even Messi would have bad days but it's just part of being a winger or a footballer. You have good days and you have bad days. 

8 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

O'halloran is exactly the same. Hell even Messi would have bad days but it's just part of being a winger or a footballer. You have good days and you have bad days. 

There's usually a mixture of the 2 though. McKay mainly has bad days.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

1 good game in every 10 isn't inconsistency. It's shite.

Played good against Accies, that was 2 games ago 

Got a goal vs St Johnston and was good in that too, 3 games ago. 

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

There's usually a mixture of the 2 though. McKay mainly has bad days.

Could put that down to just formation and confidence. He has came on good and is a good talented lad. But as a winger he's always going to have something like 2 bad games to 1 outstanding game. 

11 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Perhaps but Mckay has more bad days than good days. I think he has actually peaked and he wont get any better.

A short time into the game you could tell Mckay for whatever reason was not up for it and he was heading for a mare, if his shorts had pockets he would have had his hands in them, I was surprised when he appeared for the 2nd half. on his game he is a super player but the good ones are quite far apart

4 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

Played good against Accies, that was 2 games ago 

Got a goal vs St Johnston and was good in that too, 3 games ago. 

Could put that down to just formation and confidence. He has came on good and is a good talented lad. But as a winger he's always going to have something like 2 bad games to 1 outstanding game. 

It's nowhere near 2 bad games to 1 outstanding game though. Not even close to it.

I've exaggerated by saying 1 good game in every 10 but in reality I don't think I'd be far off if I had said it's 1 in every 5.

5 minutes ago, pcbear said:

A short time into the game you could tell Mckay for whatever reason was not up for it and he was heading for a mare, if his shorts had pockets he would have had his hands in them, I was surprised when he appeared for the 2nd half. on his game he is a super player but the good ones are quite far apart

You're spot on with this. As I said in another thread yesterday, bad games can be forgiven if the player is actually trying but yesterday it was just a total lack of interest from him.

I remember screaming at the TV at 1 point in the first half because one of our players (can't remember who it was) was looking to send the ball down the wing and McKay just wouldn't move to make the run. In the end Wallace actually had to run past him but by then the moment had gone. When he's in that sort of mood he's just a hindrance.

Guest Lloyd72

When Mckay is playing well he's incredible, when he is playing bad he is awful but I do think he has more good games than bad for us. But his best position is not on the wing imo, he is a number 10.

10 minutes ago, Young Bob said:

Perhaps but Mckay has more bad days than good days. I think he has actually peaked and he wont get any better.

If he works on his confidence then he will get better. as @LaudrupsPatrickBoots says, chances are McKay will have a good game 1 in every 5 give or take 1. 
Get that down to a bad game in every 3 and he'll be your run of the mill winger. 

5 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

It's nowhere near 2 bad games to 1 outstanding game though. Not even close to it.

I've exaggerated by saying 1 good game in every 10 but in reality I don't think I'd be far off if I had said it's 1 in every 5.

I mean for wingers in general. Point is is a winger will always, ALWAYS have more bad days than good days.