Alex McLeish 'says no to Rangers DOF role'

trueblueal

41 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

Using hearts as an example of how a Director of Football is used is stupid, that's the only time I've ever seen or heard of it happening. It's also why I don't believe we should be going for an ex manager as a DoF

It is a valid example. Levein's title is Director of Football. Do you read all the sports pages of Spanish, German, Dutch, Brazilian, Argentinian newspapers? If not, you are unable to say it does not happen just because you havn't seen or heard of it. For all you and I know, it could be a common occurence.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

So Jose do you want the DOF job at Rangers? 

I'm not a DOF I'm a manager and I havent been offered it anyway

MOURINHO REJECTS RANGERS DOF ROLE

Thank fuck. CH, CG and MD have more class than that apology for a human being. I would rather have TLB than that cretin. The only way I would have him would be if he paid for any transfers. After all, he has more money than our board.

2 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

It is a valid example. Levein's title is Director of Football. Do you read all the sports pages of Spanish, German, Dutch, Brazilian, Argentinian newspapers? If not, you are unable to say it does not happen just because you havn't seen or heard of it. For all you and I know, it could be a common occurence.

This why DoF works in Europe but has not worked well in the UK so far.  A DoF is not a "senior Manager". In many ways a DoF is subservient to the first team manager. The DoF makes sure the rest of the football operation is running in such a way as to best support the first team, it reduces burdens and time pressures on the manager in order to let him focus on the first team.  But the DoF is there to supply the manager with what he needs.

Don't see how a DOF would work considering we got caixinha in as a manager and not a head coach.

It's my understanding that a DOF is responsible for transfers and scouting leaving the coach to just select the team and obviously work the training. 

Because we brought him and his assistants in as manager and assistant managers, i really don't see the point of a DOF especially in our financial position. That 200k+ a year could go into other more practical areas, such as towards youth development, scouting, or paying rossiter's private medical fees.

13 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Don't see how a DOF would work considering we got caixinha in as a manager and not a head coach.

It's my understanding that a DOF is responsible for transfers and scouting leaving the coach to just select the team and obviously work the training. 

Because we brought him and his assistants in as manager and assistant managers, i really don't see the point of a DOF especially in our financial position. That 200k+ a year could go into other more practical areas, such as towards youth development, scouting, or paying rossiter's private medical fees.

That is a recipe for disaster. So the Director of Football buys in 3 new players who don't fit the coach's style of play so he doesn't pick them. 3 wasted wages.

As it looks like Pedro is interviewing for his local assistant, then it puts pay to the DoF role - as he pretty much doing it already. I just don't think we have the cash to fulfill the DoF role properly at the moment, and it should be shelved for a couple of seasons.

I would put this search on the back burner for now, until a really outstanding candidate makes an appearance. It really isn't and shouldn't be priority in the short term. Would rather Pedro got to grips with things first and then after a few months ask him if he wants one or indeed needs one.

2 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

That is a recipe for disaster. So the Director of Football buys in 3 new players who don't fit the coach's style of play so he doesn't pick them. 3 wasted wages.

The European model, at least the way Ajax run it, is that the manager identifies an area in the team that needs strengthening. The DoF is the given a brief of the type of player required, he then proceeds to scour the globe for players matching that brief and presents the options to the manager who then decides who should be signed.

34 minutes ago, Londonderry_Bear said:

The European model, at least the way Ajax run it, is that the manager identifies an area in the team that needs strengthening. The DoF is the given a brief of the type of player required, he then proceeds to scour the globe for players matching that brief and presents the options to the manager who then decides who should be signed.

In other words, a Chief Scout. Why not just call him that and get away with a lower wage?

33 minutes ago, Blue Nosed Babe said:

The local assistant is probably more useful than the DOF and I think that is the route we will take.

They aren't mutually exclusive though.

It has gone very quiet on that Spurs bloke Mitchell. Leading me to conclude we are after him but need to wait until his 'garden leave' is up.

Feel free to shoot this down but here is what i was told...

My boss is a friend of his and says Mcleish was given a very informal interview for the role down in London a few weeks ago but money was a major stumbling block. Wanted guaranteed funds etc for transfers and the salary being offered wasn't what he would have expected. Apparently the board thought he still had his house up here too but i hear he's sold up and lives in Fulham these days. Apparently didn't have much good to say about those who interviewed him anyways. 

My boss is a tim mind you so take it with a pinch of salt.  

3 hours ago, iain88 said:

Feel free to shoot this down but here is what i was told...

My boss is a friend of his and says Mcleish was given a very informal interview for the role down in London a few weeks ago but money was a major stumbling block. Wanted guaranteed funds etc for transfers and the salary being offered wasn't what he would have expected. Apparently the board thought he still had his house up here too but i hear he's sold up and lives in Fulham these days. Apparently didn't have much good to say about those who interviewed him anyways. 

My boss is a tim mind you so take it with a pinch of salt.  

Pinch? maybe a little bit more than that,I'm calling that one shite.

9 hours ago, johanhentze said:

Its not just scouting, obviously, or he would be called a Chief Scout ;)

If you look at what Londonderry_Bear posted, it is a chief scout. This is the big problem; everyone has their own ideas as to what the duties of a director of football are. Until the board are transparent (no laughing at the back) as to their interpretation of his role, we cannot decide whether we are for/against such an appointment. My personal opinion s that they just want another whipping boy to protect themselves.

12 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

If you look at what Londonderry_Bear posted, it is a chief scout. This is the big problem; everyone has their own ideas as to what the duties of a director of football are. Until the board are transparent (no laughing at the back) as to their interpretation of his role, we cannot decide whether we are for/against such an appointment. My personal opinion s that they just want another whipping boy to protect themselves.

Provided the board, manager and the new DOF are clear on the roles it really doesn't matter what some guy on a forum thinks. 

Robertson has already outlined what they want from the DOF. Integration of first team and youth setups. Setting up scouting and recruitment processes. Administrative tasks and logistical tasks that a traditional manager might have undertaken. 

It's all on Robertsons interview and quite transparent 

13 minutes ago, Corky True Legend said:

The truth is that all 'directors of football' probably have different roles at different clubs. Did our MD not describe the role in an interview? Im sure it was to oversee a scouting network along with day to day running to take a load of the Manager? 

1 minute ago, johanhentze said:

The truth is that all 'directors of football' probably have different roles at different clubs. Did our MD not describe the role in an interview? Im sure it was to oversee a scouting network along with day to day running to take a load of the Manager? 

Correct mate. All covered by our MD in a public interview