Walter Smith on signing Gascoigne

Virtuoso

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gazza was a genius which just shaded him over laudrup in terms of who was best.....going to watch Rangers in those days had it's fair share of tedium but when you had 2 world class players in your team it was hard not to enjoy it.

Loved Gazza.

Hope one day we can produce our very own version of the genius.

I had the bleached blonde hair and got in a fair few scraps with the local jelous bheggars:lol:

Hope this time he fully conquers his demons, i know folk will say tgey have heard it all before but my old man fought alcohol addiction for years and only as recently as about 6 years ago finally abstained and been off it since and he is a good bit older than Gazza, different lifestyles and pressures all the same.

To this day the way Gazza and Laudrup played for us is fresh in the memory. You just couldn't believe such class would come to play in Scotland. Legends forever. The only name I would add to those two to complete a triumvirate of genius would be Coop.

Cheers

Bluey 

Listened to this yesterday, Walter is one of those people when he talks you listen. 

Honestly devastated I was too young to watch Laudrup and Gazza grace the pitch at Ibrox. My dad always tells me about how Laudrup was a genuine genius and Gazza was just the ultimate match winner and greatest midfielder of his generation. 

Got both their dvds, the Gazza one in particular is incredible.

Loved him so much that when I won a goldfish at the fairground I named it after him. Like Gazza, he was orange and drank like a fish :pipe:

Unlike a few posters, I think Laudrup was probably a bit more gifted but Gascoigne was the everyman and played with the same passion the fans showed him, which just made you love him.

52 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Excellent post. 

I long for those days again. Didn't fully appreciate it at the time. 

I don't think many of us did; you can tell that by the type of players who we dismissed that we would give our right arm for today. We were fussy in those days, and very hard to please. They were great times.

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

I don't think many of us did; you can tell that by the type of players who we dismissed that we would give our right arm for today. We were fussy in those days, and very hard to please. They were great times.

Have just had a look at our European record during the nine-in-a-row era, and we did underachieve to a certain degree. I seem to recall feeling let down most seasons with the manner in which we were knocked out.

2 minutes ago, harlands plater said:

Have just had a look at our European record during the nine-in-a-row era, and we did underachieve to a certain degree. I seem to recall feeling let down most seasons with the manner in which we were knocked out.

Yeah, and I think that inevitably led to Walter's dismissal. We should have done better; Walter seems to suggest it was the weight of going for 9 in a row, which sound's very much like an excuse. We were tactically inept, and our tactics appeared to amount to "give the ball to Laudrup". We should have done better; and, you're right, we did underachieve.

On 2017-5-16 at 9:19 AM, Shuggy said:

"It was just after the mid-90s when English clubs started to get away from us in terms of finance"

Incredible to think we could match English clubs for spending years back.

We outmuscled many of them. Sky TV changed the landscape; teams like Rangers, Celtic, Ajax etc shouldn't be losing out on players to teams like West Brom, but that's the reality now. If the ridiculous amount of television rights revenues weren't a factor, and clubs were sustainable purely on match day income, merchandise and transfer revenues then we'd still be seen as a big club; Murray wouldn't have had to start borrowing money he couldn't afford to pay back the banks - though he probably still would have. 

8 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

We outmuscled many of them. Sky TV changed the landscape; teams like Rangers, Celtic, Ajax etc shouldn't be losing out on players to teams like West Brom, but that's the reality now. If the ridiculous amount of television rights revenues weren't a factor, and clubs were sustainable purely on match day income, merchandise and transfer revenues then we'd still be seen as a big club; Murray wouldn't have had to start borrowing money he couldn't afford to pay back the banks - though he probably still would have. 

Yes, and once again, what are we going to do about it? The Atlantic League was back on the table a year ago and then it all went silent again!

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/atlantic-league-back-table-dutch-7377289

10 minutes ago, Shuggy said:

Yes, and once again, what are we going to do about it? The Atlantic League was back on the table a year ago and then it all went silent again!

http://www.<No links to this website>/sport/football/football-news/atlantic-league-back-table-dutch-7377289

I think the research suggested that attendances wouldn't generally be that good for teams like FC København, as their fans aren't in favour. That and the Dutch teams seemed to be using the idea more to tease any chance of joining the Bundesliga, like we have with the Premier League.

I think all we can do is ape Ajax -  invest in bringing through players, sell them on, reinvest that money into the first team. It's not what we, as fans, want, but the fans of Dutch teams don't want it either. Unless a Jim McColl comes into Rangers to invest some money in the short term, then it's hard to see any other avenue for us. Celtic have adopted the selling club model and it's worked for them; you need a scouting network for that though. 

34 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

I think the research suggested that attendances wouldn't generally be that good for teams like FC København, as their fans aren't in favour. That and the Dutch teams seemed to be using the idea more to tease any chance of joining the Bundesliga, like we have with the Premier League.

I think all we can do is ape Ajax -  invest in bringing through players, sell them on, reinvest that money into the first team. It's not what we, as fans, want, but the fans of Dutch teams don't want it either. Unless a Jim McColl comes into Rangers to invest some money in the short term, then it's hard to see any other avenue for us. Celtic have adopted the selling club model and it's worked for them; you need a scouting network for that though. 

They were still talking about this revived Atlantic League back in October last year. There may be something yet alive there due to the new rules that the top four countries get four teams each. I also note CL money is going to distributed more on a performance than participation basis - more money for the elites.

Reselling players goes so far, but its also a random game, you don't know what the next batch of youngsters are going to be like - and as we saw with Gilmour, they're taking them before they get too expensive!

On 13/05/2017 at 8:04 PM, Taipan said:

The optimism about how far the team could go was the crest of a wave, I remember being disappointed every year that we didn't win the Champions League, now I'd give my left nut just to hear the Old Lady play Britten's chorus!

Handel mate, jesus :mutley:

• 2 weeks later...