Walter Smith's 11

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Anyone who reads the Scottish Daily Mail will have read his interview but here's his top eleven of the players he's worked with.

Andy Goram

Maurice Malpas

Richard Gough

Terry Butcher

Sasa Papac

Brian Laudrup

Graeme Souness

Paul Gasgoine

Davie Cooper

Ally McCoist

Mark Hately

I'm actually close to tears reading that. The alcohol won't be helping but what a fucking team.

2 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Ally's Da was the ultimate cheque book manager of the era.

Souness was and is the man. No Souness, no Smith,  end of!

Ally's Da. His name is Walter. Mr Smith or Sir Walter.

Show some Fucking respect to a man who gave a good part of his life to our club.

On 02/09/2017 at 11:37 AM, Tenerife Bear said:

Souness, Gascoigne, Laudrup and Cooper. Jesus Christ. Imagine those 4 in the same team.

----------------Souness-----------------

Laudrup---------------------Cooper

--------------Gascoigne---------------

The balance in that midfield is perfect for me. Imagine Cooper and Laudrup on the wings, Gazza's genius in midfield and Souness taking no prisoners (and boy he could play a bit as well!)

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:19 PM, Courtyard Bear said:

I don't get why folk look down on Papac. I thought he was great player for us. No fuss, no messing about, he just did his job and did it well. 

He was consistently good. But for many that isn't good enough to consider him a great player. Go figure .......

Papac was a good player for us but my main frustration with him was he'd win the ball and get into dangerous positions for us only to be let down by his crossing into the box.

My memory might be a bit hazy but I'm sure I remember shouting lots at another weak/failed cross by him.

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

He's a nutjob including Papac over the likes of Davie Robertson or even Stuart Munro. 

Papac would even be in my top 50 Rangers players of the last 25-years but it's Walter Smith's team at the end of the day.

I can't remember much about Munro, but seeing Davie Robertson flying down that left hand side was brilliant. Definitely the best left back I've seen playing for us,but that's it,its Walters team.

2 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

I can't remember much about Munro, but seeing Davie Robertson flying down that left hand side was brilliant. Definitely the best left back I've seen playing for us,but that's it,its Walters team.

Some of my earliest memories at Ibrox was Davie Robertson terrorising the opposition down the left towards the goal. He was like a greyhound out there.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 0:58 PM, King Jela said:

I'm honestly not surprised Papac is there. 

Hard working, dedicated, loyal and good defensively. Smith's perfect defender. 

Sasa Papac would run through walls for Rangers. An awful lot to be said for the work ethic he brought with him from war torn Bosnia.

And.......................he's still only 37, so could easily get a spot back in our team :-)

On 02/09/2017 at 10:57 PM, Blue Avenger said:

Ally's Da was the ultimate cheque book manager of the era.

Souness was and is the man. No Souness, no Smith,  end of!

I wouldn't quite go that far. 

Smith definately relied on being a well organised and drilled side, with signing more expensive and better quality players than the opposition to turn a game. The fact that we were so poor in Europe (inaugural champions league season and UEFA cup run aside) supports that. 

He did a great job both times, but he's had his fair share of significant fuck ups. 

On 02/09/2017 at 11:37 AM, Tenerife Bear said:

Souness, Gascoigne, Laudrup and Cooper. Jesus Christ. Imagine those 4 in the same team.

----------------Souness-----------------

Laudrup---------------------Cooper

--------------Gascoigne---------------

A Thing of beauty.