Murty wants to emulate Southampton model

NeoGeo7

Would be great but need the funds to do it like they say you need to spend to accumulate. Southampton must be loaded if they weren't a selling club they would probably be winning the premiership with all the players they have sold down the years 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, DBBTB said:

A few years ago everybody wanted to emulate Swansea and now it’s Southampton. If Burnley keep up their form until the end of the season they will become the new club that everybody should look to emulate.

Only team I want to emulate (minus the peadophilia and the anti British terrorism) and in a purely footballing sense is celtic as they’re our benchmark in Scotland right now in terms of winning things and a healthy balance sheet 

it’s daft looking at teams like Southampton who probably have tens of millions spare every season to put into development and scouting 

27 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Jones can’t bevome the next Murphy because we can’t develop and enhance a player the way teams down south can - if Murphy joined us from Motherwell there’s no way he’d be the player he is today and to say Jones is better than Windass is mental imo 

That's what i am saying, as important as it is to spot talent it's just as important to have the proper coaches/management to nurture the talent, sadly we don't look like we have that just now, certainly not at first team level.

I think Windass is poor, i make no secret of that, even the games he has played ok i didn't leave saying to myself that Windass ran the show or anything like that but i did admit he had improved playing through the middle.

The game Killie beat us recently Jones gave Tav a torrid time and was one of the best players on the park, and any time i have seen him he has impressed me so imo it's not mental to think he is better than Windass, all about opinions.

2 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

That's what i am saying, as important as it is to spot talent it's just as important to have the proper coaches/management to nurture the talent, sadly we don't look like we have that just now, certainly not at first team level.

I think Windass is poor, i make no secret of that, even the games he has played ok i didn't leave saying to myself that Windass ran the show or anything like that but i did admit he had improved playing through the middle.

The game Killie beat us recently Jones gave Tav a torrid time and was one of the best players on the park, and any time i have seen him he has impressed me so imo it's not mental to think he is better than Windass, all about opinions.

Again though mate as I say about Docherty If the bench mark is having a good game against us or raping our full backs we could literally sign most midfielders or attackers in Scotland 

5 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Again though mate as I say about Docherty If the bench mark is having a good game against us or raping our full backs we could literally sign most midfielders or attackers in Scotland 

I'll be honest, i didn't pay much attention to Docherty when Hamilton beat us at Ibrox because i never knew who he was but looking at the highlights he did have a good game.

Look at the beggars mate, they take punts signing best of Scottish talent and have a mixed bag of success and failure, Armstrong and Griffiths (i know he done a brief stint in England) have served them well but others have been failures.

I don't think we should turn our noses up at Scottish talent, Ian Ferguson was one of my favourite Rangers' of all time and was signed from St Mirren.

3 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

I'll be honest, i didn't pay much attention to Docherty when Hamilton beat us at Ibrox because i never knew who he was but looking at the highlights he did have a good game.

Look at the beggars mate, they take punts signing best of Scottish talent and have a mixed bag of success and failure, Armstrong and Griffiths (i know he done a brief stint in England) have served them well but others have been failures.

I don't think we should turn our noses up at Scottish talent, Ian Ferguson was one of my favourite Rangers' of all time and was signed from St Mirren.

Armstrong only came good after 3 years and finally a decent manager in Rogers using him well 

For every Armstrong they’ve signed more Cifti’s, McKay Stevens, Christie’s, as have we at our end 

10 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Exactly. Said since Warburton's early days that if it was as easy as going to Swindon, Walsall, MK Dons, Accrington Stanley, Wigan, Preston, QPR and Wigan and taking one of their better players for a few hundred grand a time, play them a bit and all of a sudden they turn into multi-million pound talents then everycunt would be doing it ... your Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen's of this world would easily find an extra couple of million per year and push the boat out but they don't because it's a far-fetched, stupid, utopian, idealist philosophy - what makes us so special that we dive in ignorantly every transfer window and make the same mistakes over and over again and get different results?

It just doesn't work - likewise touring round the other Scottish clubs for guys who's having a good spell like Jones and Docherty - in the long run they won't be any better than Windass, Jack or Holt but again we just keep going down the same routes. 

What's that phrase something about madness isn't making a mistake, it's making the same mistake every time and eventually hoping for a different result? 

I think there's more to the article than just scouring Scottish teams . 

We are now in the position of trying to clear out a good part of £8M worth of transfers that  just arrived a few months ago . Just like we had to clear out most of MW's era in the summer . And McCoists before that . 

That's what isn't working . 

It's time for a whole rethink and I think that's what the article is trying to say . I know you're no great fan of the DoF position , but like I've said before , we cannot keep buying players that suit a particular manager , it's ruining us financially.

A DoF's position allows us to buy players that suit Rangers as a whole , maintain fluidity and , if done right , growth .. Managers will come and go , but a DoF should be able to ensure that continuity , and minimise such a turnover every time there is a change . 

I know it's a different philosophy and one we're not used to , but Id give it a shot because it's the present one that's not working . 

Just now, gmcf said:

We are now in the position of trying to clear out a good part of £8M worth of transfers that  just arrived a few months ago . Just like we had to clear out most of MW's era in the summer . And McCoists before that . 

It's time for a whole rethink and I think that's what the article is trying to say . I know you're no great fan of the DoF position , but like I've said before , we cannot keep buying players that suit a particular manager , it's ruining us financially.

A DoF's position allows us to buy players that suit Rangers as a whole , maintain fluidity and , if done right , growth .. Managers will come and go , but a DoF should be able to ensure that continuity , and minimise such a turnover every time there is a change . 

I know it's a different philosophy and one we're not used to , but Id give it a shot because it's the present one that's not working . 

I know there’s more to it that Scottish teams that was just one part at the end of my post you quoted like an additional point at the end 

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

Armstrong only came good after 3 years and finally a decent manager in Rogers using him well 

For every Armstrong they’ve signed more Cifti’s, McKay Stevens, Christie’s, as have we at our end 

That again is my concern, aye sign these guys i am all for it but the board need to appoint the correct manager to get the maximum benefit from them.

I loved Davie Robertson aswell, signed from Aberdeen, great wee player but played in a good team tbf.

Signing players from other Scottish clubs has been part of our club since the early days and it should be always there imo.

*edit* Christie is apparantely playing well in a team above us in the league and still young enough to mature into a good player for them, i know a fee celtic fans who rate the boy.

1 minute ago, plumbGER said:

That again is my concern, aye sign these guys i am all for it but the board need to appoint the correct manager to get the maximum benefit from them.

I loved Davie Robertson aswell, signed from Aberdeen, great wee player but played in a good team tbf.

Signing players from other Scottish clubs has been part of our club since the early days and it should be always there imo.

I agree but guys like Robertson were different times do you honestly think anyone playing with Kilmarnock and Hamilton today are on a par with Gough, Brown, Ferguson, Goram, Robertson?

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

I agree but guys like Robertson were different times do you honestly think anyone playing with Kilmarnock and Hamilton today are on a par with Gough, Brown, Ferguson, Goram, Robertson?

In a word? No.

But it's also a different climate we operate in now aswell and we won't be complimenting players like that with some of the class European players we had at those times, our club has changed from a position to be able to compete with top English teams for players to lagging way behind even our biggest rival in Scotland, all to do woth money of course.

On 7 January 2018 at 13:18, BLUEDIGNITY said:

The bheggars have done well out of Southampton over the past while, selling the likes of forster, wanyama and van dijk at big profit, are the mhanks their feeder club.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who questions the figures quoted they receive from the EPL for players. 

Did Van Dijk's value really quadruple in the SPL without Rangers and getting pumped in Europe?

Just now, plumbGER said:

In a word? No.

But it's also a different climate we operate in now aswell and we won't be complimenting players like that with some of the class European players we had at those times, our club has changed from a position to be able to compete with top English teams for players to lagging way behind even our biggest rival in Scotland, all to do woth money of course.

I know it’s a different climate so you look at doing something different - no one picks me up on this and I say it every single post regarding these sub standard players we’re linked with sign Jones and Docherty (for example) when we could use that combined wage for someone much better instead of stock piling average players who had a good game against us? 

Its insanity to shop in this market which you said yourself is different times and we wonder why we keep rebuilding every single season? Same with these Fleetwood or Walsall players we’re trying to sign to too it’s absolute insanity it really is (to me anyway) 

16 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Agree with all that.

Three dud managers pre Murty all bringing in lots of duff players were are left with when they have gone, we could fill a decent size skip every close season.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know it’s a different climate so you look at doing something different - no one picks me up on this and I say it every single post regarding these sub standard players we’re linked with sign Jones and Docherty (for example) when we could use that combined wage for someone much better instead of stock piling average players who had a good game against us? 

Its insanity to shop in this market which you said yourself is different times and we wonder why we keep rebuilding every single season? Same with these Fleetwood or Walsall players we’re trying to sign to too it’s absolute insanity it really is (to me anyway) 

We put extra money towards the likes of Pena this season, previous seasons players like Niko/Rossiter/Barton/Senderos and everyone has been a failure, granted Rossiter has been injured as has Niko and also the Barton saga and he may well have came good but was woeful when he did play.

You mentioned Windass, and i am not a fan by any means, but he has been a better success than all of those mentioned and was picked up from Accrington Stanley.

There is no easy fix and solution to running a club, if it was that easy every club would be succesful and the league would be competitive rather than 1 team dominating.

Just now, plumbGER said:

We put extra money towards the likes of Pena this season, previous seasons players like Niko/Rossiter/Barton/Senderos and everyone has been a failure, granted Rossiter has been injured as has Niko and also the Barton saga and he may well have came good but was woeful when he did play.

You mentioned Windass, and i am not a fan by any means, but he has been a better success than all of those mentioned and was picked up from Accrington Stanley.

There is no easy fix and solution to running a club, if it was that easy every club would be succesful and the league would be competitive rather than 1 team dominating.

I’m glad you mentioned the likes of Pena and Barton because that proves there can be money there if we shuffle things about and use it right so, there’s even less of an excuse to try and topple celtic signing mediocre Scottish league players 

15 minutes ago, The hustler said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one who questions the figures quoted they receive from the EPL for players. 

Did Van Dijk's value really quadruple in the SPL without Rangers and getting pumped in Europe?

Probably never know the figures there's that much pocklin that goes on, but they are still getting profit out of it and Southampton have been to the fore, I hear that armstrong could be the next to move there.

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I’m glad you mentioned the likes of Pena and Barton because that proves there can be money there if we shuffle things about and use it right so, there’s even less of an excuse to try and topple celtic signing mediocre Scottish league players 

One of the main reasons we won't topple them is the difference in wage outgoings at both clubs, it's massive.

Plus they can bring a 4 million pounds player off the bench against us, we won't compete until we try to at least be competitive with wages and squad size.

Look at the wages we have had sitting about doing fuck all recently, Alves/Niko/Rossiter/Pena/Herrera/Dorrans, one thing spending the money but it has to be on the right players.

I would have good wages going on first team starters and have them complimented with young hungry players who have good career goals, but like i say it's not easy to run a club.

Who do you think we should be looking at given our current cash circumstances?

17 minutes ago, pcbear said:

Agree with all that.

Three dud managers pre Murty all bringing in lots of duff players were are left with when they have gone, we could fill a decent size skip every close season.

Yep , a costly skip at that ?

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

A few years ago everybody wanted to emulate Swansea and now it’s Southampton. If Burnley keep up their form until the end of the season they will become the new club that everybody should look to emulate.

They have very similar outlooks, Swansea was a model we needed to implement in Division 3. Its redundant now as its 5 years too late. If you read what Murty says, rather than the journalists pish, the approach is not about selling on at a profit but about how they identify the players needed to improve.

Southamptons method has worked for a number of years, the profits from players are incidental to their maintaining their league status. Looking at a players non footballing attributes is something we havent been good at in the recent past.