***The official 6 Nations Rugby Thread***

MisterC

6 Nations starts again this weekend folks and it's looking like a cracker once again. England are the obvious favourites along with Ireland but I can see there being a shock result or 2 in there. 

Scotland are looking good to at least compete well but then how many times have we seen a good autumn series followed by a dismal 6 Nations. If Scotland can get their game going and not make too many stupid self inflicted errors then we certainly have a chance. Wales away up first and that's winnable in my view. Win that one and it sets things up nicely. 

Thoughts on this and indeed any other rugby matters please folks.... 

And yes this is getting pinned. If a bloody cricket thread can, then so can this one! 

5 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Ireland to win it, Scotland to finish second. England third

I wouldn't be surprised if the French pulled it out of the bag and had a good tournament too. Scotland are well capable of second, don't think we have enough to win but you never know... 

26 minutes ago, jackg93 said:

Even more so optimistic after seeing the wales injuries. We are nearly at full strength they are missing Falateu, Warburton, north, roberts, Webb. 

We should do some damage there 

What worries me is the front row and all the injuries we have, no doubt we will lose other front row players in the tournament too. However it was same story in the autumn and look how that turned out. Wales is winnable but don't underestimate them.

11 hours ago, SIRB_72 said:

For me Scotland are worth a punt at 11/1. England and Ireland might just be to strong but you aren't getting much value for both of them betting wise.

The build up and atmosphere will be electric with Scotland turning up with a tidy team this year. Them Welshies will be foaming..

4 hours ago, jackg93 said:

Even more so optimistic after seeing the wales injuries. We are nearly at full strength they are missing Falateu, Warburton, north, roberts, Webb. 

We should do some damage there 

I was thinking the same got them at a good time.

3 hours ago, Craigyboy9 said:

Have you been before? Best stadium I’ve been to bar none ( the Old Lady Excepted) fucking awesome weekend down there!

Never even been to Wales before haha. Now I live down south easier to travel to and always wanted to visit. 

Just the Aviva left now will try do that in 2 years time when we go over there 

Scotland team for Saturday:

15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 55 caps

14. Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 39 caps
13. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons) – 1 cap
12. Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps
11. Byron McGuigan (Sale Sharks) – 2 caps

10. Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps
9. Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 11 caps

1. Gordon Reid (London Irish) – 27 caps
2. Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 12 caps
3. Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons) – 11 caps
4. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby) – 7 caps
5. Jonny Gray VICE CAPTAIN (Glasgow Warriors) – 38 caps
6. John Barclay CAPTAIN (Scarlets) – 66 caps
7. Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 15 caps
8. Cornell du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps

Substitutes
16. Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons) – 46 caps
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors) – 3 caps
18. Murray McCallum (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
19. Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 18 caps
20. Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps
21. Greig Laidlaw (ASM Clermont Auvergne) – 58 caps
22. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps
23. Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 29 caps

No big surprises really other than Harris starting at centre. Taylor and Dunbar must still be injured with Bennett probably not ready after his injury problems. Overall its a decent enough side based on who is available and is good enough to win in Cardiff 

Genuine question, how many of the Scotland XV are Scottish?

I know it’s even easier for a rugby player from somewhere like New Zealand, who is nowhere good enough to represent his own country, to get a game for us than it for a shite English footballer to play for our football team. Do you just have to live here for a few years?

1 hour ago, harlands plater said:

Genuine question, how many of the Scotland XV are Scottish?

I know it’s even easier for a rugby player from somewhere like New Zealand, who is nowhere good enough to represent his own country, to get a game for us than it for a shite English footballer to play for our football team. Do you just have to live here for a few years?

3 years I think

The all blacks and aussies use South Sea islanders regularly so the home nations are playing by the same rules. 

I think the residency rule should be scrapped or increased to say 5 or 6 years rather than a short stint in the country. 

10 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

The all blacks and aussies use South Sea islanders regularly so the home nations are playing by the same rules. 

I think the residency rule should be scrapped or increased to say 5 or 6 years rather than a short stint in the country. 

That’s what I’m getting at, the rule makes a mockery of genuine international competition. Three years is nothing, in fact I don’t think residency should be a qualification at all.

National teams are becoming more like clubs because of this, a motley crew of guys from all over the place.

Same with playing for a country because of one grandparent. I believe if you don’t have at least one parent born in a country you have no right to represent it.

4 hours ago, ben51 said:

Scottish team has a fairly weak front row. 

Nel, Fagerson etc all out for the tournament. 

Otherwise I would have backed us. 

Can't see past England.

It was a very much understrength front row v Oz and NZ in November and it wasn't too bad. The front row tomorrow may not be the strongest especially at tight head but mcinally is a decent hooker and gordy Reid at loose head would arguably be the second choice if we were at full strength. 

I just want to see Scotland give a good account of themselves in the tournament and see what happens from there. Here's hoping that we aren't brought back down to earth too soon!