Laudrup1984

***Official World Cup 2018 Thread***

31 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

France will win. 

I put £10 on Croatia pre tournament so obviously hope for a Croatian win, but I agree France are looking very good.

Anyway am in Croatia just now and watched both quarter and semi final games in a local bar the atmosphere was great, even if bet goes down thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

• Like 2

Neighbour just back says the pub down the road has been torn up. Expected tbh. Person walking past the house at half time in et saying ' how can we be struggling against a team with no world class players' This does my box in, fine all fans are welcome but to come away with such bollox because you no doubt watxh no football inbetween and have no idea. Pet hate of mine.

England have done well to get this far but honestly I think they just got found out. They were very, very good in the first half but Croatia adapted to them and that was that. England were a little bit naive, obviously more than a little tired, and looked like they didn't quite know what to do in the second half and beyond. They're a physical, quick, set-piece side that can push away the dross, but I don't know if they really have the quality to get further - they're pretty one-dimensional. You could literally see the moment when Croatia figured England out and when the English began to let their nerves get the better of them. Better side won in the end. Kane should have buried that chance and they should have killed off that game before the 45th minute.

On the plus side, I don't see them getting knocked out early for a while now. They should be going for quarter and semi finals pretty consistently for the next few tournaments.

Personally I'm delighted for Croatia, it's a fucking unbelievable achievement for a country that size.  They're in a World Cup Final and they've got a shot at winning it if they can keep France out for the first half an hour or so. Incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, demise said:

Zadar, Croatia

37076749_10156387432906280_1143456221320183808_n.jpg

12 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

And yet everyone who says that are exactly the same people who were saying we would lose to Columbia and Sweden. We weren’t good enough when it mattered but getting to the semis was an achievement and 45 mins from a World Cup final was closer than I ever thought i would see in my lifetime.

From the start I always thought England would get to last 8 or 16 because they had an easy draw. But I expected Germany and Spain to be there too and beat them. Fair point about reaching the semi final as an achievement . The brutal truth is they were  never going to win it mate. 

Really hoping for Croatia to do it, I'm flying out there on Tuesday so everyone will still be out their tits 

Just now, BlueAvenger said:

From the start I always thought England would get to last 8 or 16 because they had an easy draw. But I expected Germany and Spain to be there too and beat them. Fair point about reaching the semi final as an achievement . The brutal truth is they were  never going to win it mate. 

I never thought we would win it, but was still a nice dream while it lasted. My main point was that certain people (mainly the foreigners and paddy’s at work) love to say we were only there because of an easy draw, and yet before the Columbia and Sweden games were saying we were going out because both were better than England.

Mbappe and Griezmann would've had an absolute field day with that defence had they got through. It's not a terrible defence but it's nowhere near good enough to shut out any side a level above what they've faced so far. 

The youngest side of the tournament getting to the semis though whilst playing some cracking football is a great achievement. Will be interesting to see how they do at euro 2020 (especially as the final is at Wembley I think?)

7 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

I never thought we would win it, but was still a nice dream while it lasted. My main point was that certain people (mainly the foreigners and paddy’s at work) love to say we were only there because of an easy draw, and yet before the Columbia and Sweden games were saying we were going out because both were better than England.

Yeah thats true. 

49 minutes ago, the goal machine said:

How to make yourself look like a wank in one sentence. Well in mate.

Calm down it's a meme.

Let's be quite frank, England thought they were world beaters because they beat Tunisia, Panama and Sweden. Even Colombia were kind of riding on 2014's hype and they didn't have their star player either. The second they came up against half decent opposition they got beat.

They looked a good team and did well with what was in front of them but you can't really say they didn't get as far as they did on much else other than an easy draw. They've built up this so called amazing success story without playing a single top team (other than getting beat by Belgium in the group) and ultimately got knocked out by Croatia. But I'm sure the tournament will be just the boost to the English ego anyway that they didn't need.

• Like 4

First decent opponent and they failed. 

Done better than the likes of Spain and Germany mind.

i don't see them as anything special tbh, guys like Lingaard, Stones, Young etc ain't that good to win international tournaments. Highly doubt they will ever get an easier run to a final again, that was a cake walk.

Mind you Scottish folk lapping it up is ironic considering the national team here have been redundant since 1998 and counting. 

• Like 4

Feel sorry for English players and their fans, but a massive GET IT RIGHT FUKKING UP YOU to every cunt still greeting on the BBC, absolute wankers.

Oh, and any player caught greeting after losing a football match should be castrated, poofs.

Anyhow happy 12th especially to the Bears in Northern Ireland, have a glorious 12th.

At least we have still got 1966. ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wullyRFC said:

Any vids of England fans fighting amongst themselves tonight always makes good viewing

Gutted with the result.  Thought they were going for it after that first goal,  but it wasn't meant to be.  

I think France will be the better team on Sunday.  However,  this WC has had some unexpected twists so who knows. 

9 hours ago, Captain Hilts said:

Mbappe and Griezmann would've had an absolute field day with that defence had they got through. It's not a terrible defence but it's nowhere near good enough to shut out any side a level above what they've faced so far. 

The youngest side of the tournament getting to the semis though whilst playing some cracking football is a great achievement. Will be interesting to see how they do at euro 2020 (especially as the final is at Wembley I think?)

Easy to play “cracking football” when you’re playing shite (as Warburton showed with us in the Championship) and Sime Vrsjalko summed it up perfectly after the game last night:

“The all-round perception was that this is a new-look England who have changed their ways of punting long balls upfield but when we pressed them it turned out that they haven’t“

Since 1982 every World Cup final has featured an Inter Milan player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Oh, and any player caught greeting after losing a football match should be castrated

Agree with this . I always find this pathetic . No matter what

Unless it's some gorgeous looking bit of totty . I make allowances there :boobs:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Godfather said:

First decent opponent and they failed. 

Done better than the likes of Spain and Germany mind.

i don't see them as anything special tbh, guys like Lingaard, Stones, Young etc ain't that good to win international tournaments. Highly doubt they will ever get an easier run to a final again, that was a cake walk.

Mind you Scottish folk lapping it up is ironic considering the national team here have been redundant since 1998 and counting. 

Put a post on Facebook saying how Scotland fans laughing at England for getting knocked out is like laughing at your mate for pulling when you are going home to a pot noodle and a wank. It’s obviously triggered a few tartan trannies in my friends list because I got a few PM’s of abuse, with one guy calling me a traitor to my country :lol:

What’s hilarious about it is i don’t even support England. I follow international football as a neutral.

• Like 3

As Keane said last night it's not very often the first trophy you win as a player will be the world cup, and we have a squad who have won next to nothing domestically!!

3 hours ago, psb07158 said:

That’s when they won a game I’m sure mate lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

That’s when they won a game I’m sure mate lol 

??? unreal

• Like 1