La Liga Games In America

La Liga bigwigs are looking to expand the brand and are making big moves to ensure they encapsulate a whole new audience.  100 odd million Hispanics living in the U.S who are fanatical about football.

They have also tied up a deal in India where the top weekend La Liga games will be shown for free on tv.

Disgraceful but not surprising. Modern day football in the ‘big’ leagues doesn’t give a shit about the fans anymore. Gone are the days where fans buying tickets were the lifeblood of the clubs, these days with tv revenue, sponsorships and commercial opportunities all over the world the true fans don’t even get a thought.

As much as I despise Scottish football at times, I’m so glad it hasn’t yet gone the same way as the epl, la liga etc. It’s still real football for real fans and we should count ourselves lucky we still have that.

15 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Disgraceful but not surprising. Modern day football in the ‘big’ leagues doesn’t give a shit about the fans anymore. Gone are the days where fans buying tickets were the lifeblood of the clubs, these days with tv revenue, sponsorships and commercial opportunities all over the world the true fans don’t even get a thought.

As much as I despise Scottish football at times, I’m so glad it hasn’t yet gone the same way as the epl, la liga etc. It’s still real football for real fans and we should count ourselves lucky we still have that.

Bournemouths turnover was 136 million 4% came from gate receipts.I follow Linfield over here in Northern Ireland was at the game yesterday we took 2000 fans to Crusaders the ground holds about 4000 it was packed for a semi pro game and it was old school football ... fans close to the pitch great banter and no fucking prima donnas on the pitch...I love it...Fuck modern football

14 hours ago, bluedylan said:

Bournemouths turnover was 136 million 4% came from gate receipts.I follow Linfield over here in Northern Ireland was at the game yesterday we took 2000 fans to Crusaders the ground holds about 4000 it was packed for a semi pro game and it was old school football ... fans close to the pitch great banter and no fucking prima donnas on the pitch...I love it...Fuck modern football

Northern Ireland football is real football. I went over with my daughter for the first Linfield home game against Institute. If it wasn't for the cost of flying over we'd come very week. You feel like you're with proper football fans, not the Sky TV Premisership Brigade.

27 minutes ago, CraigG said:

Northern Ireland football is real football. I went over with my daughter for the first Linfield home game against Institute. If it wasn't for the cost of flying over we'd come very week. You feel like you're with proper football fans, not the Sky TV Premisership Brigade.

glad you and your daughter enjoyed it we have a small loyal support of about 4000 but we travel everywhere to support Linfield About 10k follow teams in Belfast which is excellent for part time football...next time you are over I will buy you a pint...Fortune Favours The Brave...WATP

16 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

glad you and your daughter enjoyed it we have a small loyal support of about 4000 but we travel everywhere to support Linfield About 10k follow teams in Belfast which is excellent for part time football...next time you are over I will buy you a pint...Fortune Favours The Brave...WATP

Viva Cliftonville

15 hours ago, bigblueyonder said:

That's not as bizarre as you think Hibs, Dundee Utd and Aberdeen competed in a season in the US in the '60s 

That is right as did Glentoran who played under the name Detroit Cougars in 1967...it was close season though.Aberdeen were renamed the Washington Whips for the eight game series.An old work colleague of mine (30 years ago)played in all of the matches for Glentoran

10 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

That is right as did Glentoran who played under the name Detroit Cougars in 1967...it was close season though.Aberdeen were renamed the Washington Whips for the eight game series.An old work colleague of mine (30 years ago)played in all of the matches for Glentoran

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Soccer_Association#Championship

36 minutes ago, bigblueyonder said:

Heard a lot about the games a friend of mine father Walter Bruce captained the Cougars and an ex work mate (an absolute gentleman)Jim 'Bimbo'Weatherup played and scored a few during the  series.My mate still has his late father's jersey it is a cracker

Cougars 67 Road Back Jim Weatherup, Shamrocks 6-1-1967.jpg

2 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

Heard a lot about the games a friend of mine father Walter Bruce captained the Cougars and an ex work mate (an absolute gentleman)Jim 'Bimbo'Weatherup played and scored a few during the  series.My mate still has his late father's jersey it is a cracker

Seems a weird set-up, although most things about US sports are. It must have been a great experience for some of the players though.

2 minutes ago, bigblueyonder said:

Seems a weird set-up, although most things about US sports are. It must have been a great experience for some of the players though.

yeah especially for Glentoran players who were all semi pro footballers .. they had to get time off work (Some worked in the shipyard)and I think most of them  if not all had never been across the Atlantic before

Getting that Hispanic dollar. The demographics are changing in the states. Half of Mexico lives there now...and the other half want to. Too much cutesy, 'tippy tappy'  pitch play and flopping in 'La Liga' for my taste. I hate flop football. If I wanna watch fake agony I will turn on the soaps. boo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2018 at 21:49, bluedylan said:

I think you're spot on and I believe there will be more breakaway clubs or supporters watching non-league football because of the disconnect between Premier League clubs and fans. 

Cadena Cope reports 40,000 Spanish flags will be handed out to spectators while the national anthems of both the US and Spain will be played ahead of kickoff. 

It is also stated that no Catalan flags or symbols will be allowed inside Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium when the two face off.

• 3 weeks later...