The Best Thing About This Summer

1 hour ago, Laudrup1690 said:

Massive overhaul?i know we won but lay off the drink eh 

We have seven players who are pretty much sticks on to start IMO.

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Jack, Davis, Kamara, Arfield. Kent would be in that bracket too if we can get him back for next season and Katic is making it hard to leave him out.

Leaves us needing a left back (assuming Barasic goes) another forward (assuming Morelos is off), a centre half and a nother winger who can compete for starting spots IMO.

Guys like Halliday, Candeias, Jones, Stewart, McCrorie, Flanagan, Defoe around the squad but probably playing less than they have this season and probably another couple of loans to add a bit more depth.

Most of our work is going to revolve around getting players off the books IMO.

We certainly don’t need to change six or seven players in the starting eleven like we’ve done in recent years.

33 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

We have seven players who are pretty much sticks on to start IMO.

McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Jack, Davis, Kamara, Arfield. Kent would be in that bracket too if we can get him back for next season and Katic is making it hard to leave him out.

Leaves us needing a left back (assuming Barasic goes) another forward (assuming Morelos is off), a centre half and a nother winger who can compete for starting spots IMO.

Guys like Halliday, Candeias, Jones, Stewart, McCrorie, Flanagan, Defoe around the squad but probably playing less than they have this season and probably another couple of loans to add a bit more depth.

Most of our work is going to revolve around getting players off the books IMO.

We certainly don’t need to change six or seven players in the starting eleven like we’ve done in recent years.

I agree completely with what your saying,for me to have a real chance to win league and these additions need to be first team quality we need a new right mid,a number 10/creative player,a left back (doesn’t seem to fancy borna) and if Kent and Morelos leave they need replacing.

so important we get the recruitment right this summer.

for me I wouldn’t break up Goldson/katic partnership either they are good enough c.b to win the Scottish league.

42 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Nup. A player playing in position that Kent played today.

the vast majority of budget should be spent on that.

The number 10 you’re talking about is 4-4-2 and since we don’t play that then Arfield is absolutely as close to that as we’re getting. Playing off the main striker in and around the box. His goal tally shows this 

👍

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

The number 10 you’re talking about is 4-4-2 and since we don’t play that then Arfield is absolutely as close to that as we’re getting. Playing off the main striker in and around the box. His goal tally shows this 

👍

We’ve not played 4-4-2 all season.

We needed a number 10 all season whether when we played 4-3-3 or in our current formation of 4-3-2-1

5 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Is that we don’t need a massive overhaul. We only require tinkering and adding from an already solid base which is such a change from the past three seasons where it’s been a completely new team lining up for the first game of the season.

Things are absolutely looking up for us now and there surely can’t be anybody who questions whether we have made progress under Gerrard now?

Great post. 

First time we’ve been in this position since we went down. 

Huge summer for us. 

6 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

That's shite tbh.

When we can dominate and win against the champions twice at home, and dominate a large chunk against them at their place then it shows we're competitive enough.

Weve lacked consistency, discipline and that bit of quality in the final 3rd. That's not a 6 players needed case at all if we can keep those we want to keep, though it would be welcomed. We dont need 6 signings though.

Again, it depends who leaves.  If Kent, Morelos, and Tavernier leave they will all need to be replaced.  We need at least one quality CB in.  It looks like we need a LB if Barisic is off.  Another central midfielder who can get in to the opposition box and score goals the way Arfield does would go a long way too.

I do expect we’ll see a bit of activity this summer.

6 hours ago, TMB said:

It depends who leaves.  Morelos and Tavernier could potentially be sold and Kent might return to Liverpool.  The positive for me is that, even if we lose players like Morelos and Tavernier, we’ll get big money for them to reinvest in the squad.  If we do get big money for Morelos then I hope we look to bring Kent here permanently because that’s celtic defense is scared of him and he’s only going to get better.

If the last few games have shown us anything, it’s that there will be life after Morelos.

Of course, it would be foolish to ignore his contribution by way of goals, but we’ve managed what could have been a real problem really well and shown that we will cope without him.

May be an eye-opener for Alf himself, to see that he’s NOT irreplaceable - who knows, he might even buckle down (if he ends up staying).

Simplythebest makes a good point though - the lads need to reproduce this sort of form & string of results when there’s real pressure on.

7 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

Our biggest signing this summer could be the tarriers keeping lennon. That happens we win the league, never been as sure in my life.

That 50 million wage bill of theirs must be heavy burden to carry and it's showing. 

They fail to qualify for the CL groups, their number is up. 

I can't see Liewell bringing in a name who will demand big changes and a big transfer kitty against the risk of not qualifying, so hopefully the lemmon is it.

1 minute ago, HG5 said:

If the last few games have shown us anything, it’s that there will be life after Morelos.

Of course, it would be foolish to ignore his contribution by way of goals, but we’ve managed what could have been a real problem really well and shown that we will cope without him.

May be an eye-opener for Alf himself, to see that he’s NOT irreplaceable - who knows, he might even buckle down (if he ends up staying).

Simplythebest makes a good point though - the lads need to reproduce this sort of form & string of results when there’s real pressure on.

I thought we would struggle without Morelos but we’ve actually got better.  If a club offers stupid money for Morelos I hope we take it and use that money to buy 4-5 players of real quality spread throughout the team.  If Morelos leaves we should view that as an opportunity to strengthen, and I believe we will.

4 minutes ago, HG5 said:

True, but who's to say he would also not have been even better in the new style. We would still have shredded those cunts today with him in the starting line up. 

We are simply imposing ourselves more from back to front. Great tempo and flency. The midfield now seriously clicking.

I still say Alfredo is being protected for his big move.

All said and done he has played a big part and yes there will be life after him. 

8 minutes ago, TMB said:

I thought we would struggle without Morelos but we’ve actually got better.  If a club offers stupid money for Morelos I hope we take it and use that money to buy 4-5 players of real quality spread throughout the team.  If Morelos leaves we should view that as an opportunity to strengthen, and I believe we will.

The prospect of losing him isn’t as bleak as it once might have seemed!

7 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

True, but who's to say he would also not have been even better in the new style. We would still have shredded those cunts today with him in the starting line up. 

We are simply imposing ourselves more from back to front. Great tempo and flency. The midfield now seriously clicking.

I still say Alfredo is being protected for his big move.

All said and done he has played a big part and yes there will be life after him. 

Yes.

You just never know - he may also have REALLY run them ragged!

Pity he couldn’t have nabbed a goal in his wee cameo today - wouldn’t have harmed his price tag!

5 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I reckon Tav, Arfield and Morelos will all still be here next season. 

I don’t think Arfield has any interest in moving but not so confident in the other two.  The offers for Morelos could be too good to turn down and he’s made no secret of his desire to go down South.  Tavernier’s been here a few years now and maybe a big money move down to England could tempt him.  Time will tell.

5 minutes ago, TMB said:

I don’t think Arfield has any interest in moving but not so confident in the other two.  The offers for Morelos could be too good to turn down and he’s made no secret of his desire to go down South.  Tavernier’s been here a few years now and maybe a big money move down to England could tempt him.  Time will tell.

I just hope Tav sees what he could potentially achieve if he stays. He’s been here since the Championship and if he sees it through and captains us to a trophy or a league he will be a bonafide legend.

At the same time he will be 28 come October and he’s maybe running out of time to make that move that will set him up for life financially.

I hope we keep him because he would be so hard to replace.