Expanding Ibrox

Ace

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Did I say any of that????

Im talking about future plans that suddenly drop from nowhere. If you want to swallow ever little crumb our board toss you carry on. I’ve learnt with the Rangers board that when it’s done and I can see it then I’ll believe it. 

TBF King has said since not long after he took over that they had big plans with the stadium and surround all linked to 2022 so this is probably just all that starting to make its way into the public domain.

44 minutes ago, MaddistonKnight said:

It was over 8000 seats and a total refurbishment, new frontage, etc. .

Are you really saying that you are happy with Rangets falling behind team after team with modern stadium? I'm not. I go to the Struth stand ever game, and it's not good. I go to the Thornton Suite for hospitality once a season, have done 4 times. It's well jaded. The only decent bit is the marble staircase. 

We are falling  further and further behind, with no plans for a stadium that is already 40 year old, forgetting the main stand. 

At the end of the day, I'd watch Rangers at a council pitch. But to be frank, that's not who we'll bring in future generations.  

So yes, the current stadium situation, comparing what other countries have, is depressing. 

You do make a valid point,  but there are some just not for changing.

Sure the stadium was indeed built to a far better standard than the shitehole in the eastend, but Ibrox is in need of a massive overhaul and it is there to be seen. 

The minor improvements well underway, but they are only short term solutions and how much value is derived from them is questionable, but finances as they are, little more can be done.

IMO the costs of  any major overhaul to bring it up to modern day standards, including an additional 10k seats would be prohibitive.

For me the only VFM solution would be a new stadium away from the current location and existing land sold off to developers. However many will just not entertain the idea and not without reason I suppose will the emotional attachment, but that should be secondary and put aside in the bigger picture.

One  thing is for sure, it cannot last forever, as the older it becomes the greater the  investment needed to keep it fit for purpose no matter how well the maintenance and the the tipping point as to it's commercial viability is reached and the decision taken to fully modernise or switch to build a new stadium.

How near we are to that I don't know, but there will be a few that do.

Despite the rhetoric to the contrary, in that football is different, it's special, but the reality is that it is still a business and you still have to get punters through the door to generate revenue and to do that to the optimum, you need to be successful and provide facilities to match, or you ultimately die. Yes we all may say we will go to watch the team in a public park, but that is unsustainable and nonsense and burying head in sand.

You want to be world class, then you invest accordingly, both on and off the park.

In the goldfish bowl of Scottish football, I can say we lead, but of course I'm seeing the world through blue tinted glasses. Ask visitors outwith the goldfish bowl and they will tell you the scumdome is the more impressive, irrespective of how it was funded and irrespective that it was originally built on the cheap.

Nothing lasts forever and change is inevitable, no matter how many wish to deny it. In my world it is much better to embrace it, as it can and will kill you if you don't. Some are so  entrenched, that if a sugar daddy did come along and say he would buy on the condition that we move to a modern purpose built stadia, there would be an outcry to prevent it and rather see us struggle or die than move.

Lastly, we are currently in no position to fund a a major overhaul or fund a new stadium, so we will continue with improving the aesthetics in the fabric of the asset.

In theory Kingco should already have plans for the long term future of such an aging stadium, but they don't as IMO they won't be hanging around that long and be off at the first sign of a windfall on their investment.  They have invested some where others have failed to do so though, so I supoose I have to give them some credit, but for the long term, they are certainly not it.

31 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Sure the stadium was indeed built to a far better standard than the shitehole in the eastend, but Ibrox is in need of a massive overhaul and it is there to be seen. 

The minor improvements well underway, but they are only short term solutions and how much value is derived from them is questionable, but finances as they are, little more can be done.

IMO the costs of  any major overhaul to bring it up to modern day standards, including an additional 10k seats would be prohibitive.

For me the only VFM solution would be a new stadium away from the current location and existing land sold off to developers. However many will just not entertain the idea and not without reason I suppose will the emotional attachment, but that should be secondary and put aside in the bigger picture.

One  thing is for sure, it cannot last forever, as the older it becomes the greater the  investment needed to keep it fit for purpose no matter how well the maintenance and the the tipping point as to it's commercial viability is reached and the decision taken to fully modernise or switch to build a new stadium.

Despite the rhetoric to the contrary, in that football is different, it's special, but the reality is that it is still a business and you still have to get punters through the door to generate revenue and to do that to the optimum, you need to be successful and provide facilities to match, or you ultimately die. Yes we all may say we will go to watch the team in a public park, but that is unsustainable and nonsense and burying head in sand.

You want to be world class, then you invest accordingly, both on and off the park.

In the goldfish bowl of Scottish football, I can say we lead, but of course I'm seeing the world through blue tinted glasses. Ask visitors outwith the goldfish bowl and they will tell you the scumdome is the more impressive, irrespective of how it was funded and irrespective that it was originally built on the cheap.

Nothing lasts forever and change is inevitable, no matter how many wish to deny it. In my world it is much better to embrace it, as it can and will kill you if you don't. Some are so  entrenched, that if a sugar daddy did come along and say he would buy on the condition that we move to a modern purpose built stadia, there would be an outcry to prevent it and rather see us struggle or die than move.

Lastly, we are currently in no position to fund a a major overhaul or fund a new stadium, so we will continue with improving the aesthetics in the fabric of the asset.

In theory Kingco should already have plans for the long term future of such an aging stadium, but they don't as IMO they won't be hanging around that long and be off at the first sign of a windfall on their investment.  They have invested some where others have failed to do so though, so I supoose I have to give them some credit, but for the long term, they are certainly not it.

I pretty much agree with everything you've written.

4 hours ago, BookWorm said:

I thought they were going to convert a few rows of the Coupland front into the safe standing bit, not put more seats in there. Might increase chances for me to get a season ticketc though.

As long as they don't go down into the pitch again because that would render those rows useless in Europe as the ads are bigger that's why theirs is about three rows empty all round in euro games

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

TBF King has said since not long after he took over that they had big plans with the stadium and surround all linked to 2022 so this is probably just all that starting to make its way into the public domain.

Aye what are those plans??

Have we ever been told this is exactly what the club is doing for 2022. 

1 hour ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Mate there is no transparency on our future. No grand plan, simply because the cash needed for investment is not there.

We appear to have just enough to stave off any crises. We have indeed wasted a lot of cash on players in King's tennure and it is improving, but still not enough for the stature of of our club.

We sit with a retail car crash and even in the deal with Elite whilst trying to outmanouvre Ashley, what is on offer is in short supply and the variety on offer is minimal and that is simply not good enough for a club of our stature. We are missing out big time on good revenue. When we have idiots like Roberston and Blair in our employ, it's unsurprising. There is neither a strategic nor innovative brain cell between them.

I think King only spends his time on the bottom line, whilst ignoring the development of the brand, thus spectacularly losing out on revenue and thus rendering his management of money matters in the first place useless.

Kingco never tell you well in advance of any specific plans, it's all generalities, if that much. So what are exactly the plans for 2022? Now if they do know at least some outline would already be out there, but everything is just cloaked in secrecy, until it's backs against the wall and are outed. 

It's all a guessing with King and nothing is what it appears to be. I can give him some credit for investments and Gerrard thus far, but the lack of transprancy of long term plans, or indeed any plan, leave me wondering that he is not prepared to invest enough and not here for the long term and will be off on a sniff of a windfall.

Now worst case scenario,  if we fail to win 55 before the scum do ten, which would be in 2021, there will be little shine on 2022 and King will be gone one way or another and I dread to think what state us! No doubt that scenario will have already been contemplated by the board, but even so it still should not prevent clarity in long term plans and aspirations. It's all see what tomorrow brings.

Stopping ten is an imperative and hopefully this season, so maybe then we might just see a difference in fan communication, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. We for sure don't have money to burn, but taking that title can lever us towards giant steps in increased revenue and all that goes with it, but in the meantime we will just have to suffer the silence.

56 minutes ago, lerxst said:

As long as they don't go down into the pitch again because that would render those rows useless in Europe as the ads are bigger that's why theirs is about three rows empty all round in euro games

Good point.

28 minutes ago, backup said:

"......and really redeveloping the stadium" !

Is this all moonbeams again, as it would cost tens of millions in reality?

Hats of to him if he can make it happen, but seriously can't see it. 

Yes I woul love to be walking down the newly named Ibrox Way, surrounded with Union Jacks flying high ruffling in the breeze, a state of the art fanzone, a new Edminston House, an extended sixty thousand seater stadium gleaming in the sunlight and so on.

But ffs, has anyone experienced the state of the make shift food outlet in the west main stand and King is giving it all that in 2017?

Just naw!

29 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

"......and really redeveloping the stadium" !

Is this all moonbeams again, as it would cost tens of millions in reality?

Hats of to him if he can make it happen, but seriously can't see it. 

Yes I woul love to be walking down the newly named Ibrox Way, surrounded with Union Jacks flying high ruffling in the breeze, a state of the art fanzone, a new Edminston House, an extended sixty thousand seater stadium gleaming in the sunlight and so on.

But ffs, has anyone experienced the state of the make shift food outlet in the west main stand and King is giving it all that in 2017?

Just naw!

king learned smoke and mirrors from the guy who smoked him, many many of us were wise to the “mint” from before day one, we are also up to early in the morning for the like of king and his acolytes, the rest hear what they need to..,,it makes them believe in g&s 👍

7 hours ago, pcbear said:

They have just done all the sides and under the roof with new cladding, if the roofs were coming off anytime soon these improvements would not have taken place, I don't know who MH is but imo he is talking shite😯

Mark Hateley?

15 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

Might be petty but if expanding we should be making sure we’ve got more seats than the piggery.

Definitely. It is petty maybe but I’d agree, if we are considering expanding then be the biggest as well as the best. 

Also  reading his points on expanding areas behind both ends, obviously that must be out towards the gates as it can’t possibly be lowered, I remember when we lowered the playing surface last time to increase by about 4000, but that can’t be done again and I sit about 6 rows from the front in SW1. When the balls on the touch line of the govern stand I can barely see the top of it because of the camber, if they lower seats at either end you’d be below the pitch ha ha 

7 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Because we have seen it before and don’t swallow what the club board spews out anymore. 

Fair enough mate and I get where and why you think that. It must be said though, weather you like/thrust king, and I know he’s made mistakes, but he is providing funds for putting a decent side on the park and also doing work on much needed improvements within the stadium and the training ground. From where we were before they came in to what we are now for me personally, I think deserves some respect. Still a long way to go and this may well be a pipe dream but I don’t see the point in bringing it up in public if it wasn’t st least being looked at. 

Money thing on a side note is it will be fucking interesting to see the objections from every fenian bastard from resident to mp if it’s serious lol 

4 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

I do agree with most of your points but I honestly believe they have got plans to bring the stadium back to it’s glorious stature, and if it’s feasible to expand it will be done. 

2 hours ago, KingKirk said:

I'd assume to expand we'd need to play at hampden for a few months.

Fuck that

Aye that would be an issue, they’d do us no favours and I’d rather not involve them. What else is viable though, can’t see a years ground share at the stadium of secrets being an option 😂

16 minutes ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Definitely. It is petty maybe but I’d agree, if we are considering expanding then be the biggest as well as the best. 

Also  reading his points on expanding areas behind both ends, obviously that must be out towards the gates as it can’t possibly be lowered, I remember when we lowered the playing surface last time to increase by about 4000, but that can’t be done again and I sit about 6 rows from the front in SW1. When the balls on the touch line of the govern stand I can barely see the top of it because of the camber, if they lower seats at either end you’d be below the pitch ha ha 

Only increased the capacity by 1300 by lowering the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, 1690tamRFC said:

Was it ? I stand corrected mate. 

If only we could get 4000 increase by lowering the pitch. Any increase will be a 1000 here and there i. e 1300 by lowering the pitch, 1000 by installing additional seats to the front of the CR/BR stands, filling in the upper sections of the corners and maybe by joining up the 3 new stands another 1000. 

Archived