Joe Aribo in Nigeria Squad

31 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Was he involved before he came? Or being monitored by them? Genuinely dont know the answer, but would be surprised if he was even on their radar.

His only 2 caps have come this season but I'd be very surprised if they only started looking at him once he signed for us. They have players from the lower leagues of England and Germany as well as several other shite leagues making their squad regularly so it's a bit of a stretch to say he wouldn't have the opportunity to play for them if he was still with Charlton.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

His only 2 caps have come this season but I'd be very surprised if they only started looking at him once he signed for us. They have players from the lower leagues of England and Germany as well as several other shite leagues making their squad regularly so it's a bit of a stretch to say he wouldn't have the opportunity to play for them if he was still with Charlton.

Yea tbf etebo gets in and he’s in the championship still think we’ve gave him more of a platform with Europe to really catch their eye but being as good as he is would have got him in regardless now I think about it. 

29 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Guess we'll never know. Only thing that appears clear is that he has got the international recognition since he's been with us. I'll take that.

11 hours ago, cascadeshrimp said:

Was watchin the Columbia game last night and thinking how Alfie's transfer fee would go through the roof with a run of International goals

It's the exact same with Aribo, especially goals against quality like Brazil,

These 2 boys could be worth a fortune down the line

Didn't see anything about the Colombia game except the score. Did Fredo get a full 90, how did he play and did he have any chances to score. 

If you know of course. Cheers.

"The popular belief that the Rangers midfielder is only enjoying a run in the team because of the absence of some regulars is gradually becoming a fallacy.

When the likes of Ogenyi Onazi and Oghenekaro Etebo return to this team, they have to find for themselves another spot on the pitch as Joe Aribo has made that third midfield spot his own.

The Gers midfielder grabbed another goal after his debut strike against Ukraine last month- this one would have made even the magical Austin Okocha truly proud – to become the first ever Nigerian to find the net versus Brazil’s senior team.

Yet, he brings so much more to this team than just goals.

Aribo couldn’t be bullied off the ball. Nothing fazed him, as he almost never gave the ball away due to naivety or nervousness despite facing his biggest opponent till date.

Joe’s a delight to watch with the ball at his feet. He’s a hard worker too, with a double extra engine where a heart is supposed to be and when his teammates’ legs around him were shaking due to exhaustion, he was still there harrying and bullying the Samba Boys off the ball. My Man of the Match by a mile and a little more.

Steven Gerrard was right, this guy has the world at his feet."

20 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

I don't understand people mentioning Lee Bowyer here

This goal has absolutely nothing to do with him moving from Charlton to Rangers :lol:

Nor me. See a fair few of ours mention no-mark Bowyer on Twitter and I don't get it. Is this going to carry on every time Aribo does something half decent? Strange if so. Bowyer and Charlton are irrelevant to us and to the football stratosphere in general.

13 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

The outrageous money they get has gone to their heads. But I remember when the premiership wasn't that great and they were trying to call it the best in the world back then, when if you compared other leagues in Europe it wasn't.  I was taken aback by their arrogance, but it's come true - probably because they had the media bang on how great it a league it was and that brainwashed into coming into the league. 

It's mental we sit back and quite happily allow others to shite on our league all day long, we even agree with it at times. kinda feels like we're the mugs. 

Our league is shite.

Kilmarnock finished 3rd in it last season and got dumped out of Europe this year at the first hurdle by a Welsh club

1 hour ago, GersInCanada said:

"The popular belief that the Rangers midfielder is only enjoying a run in the team because of the absence of some regulars is gradually becoming a fallacy.

Where is that from? 

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Our league is shite.

Kilmarnock finished 3rd in it last season and got dumped out of Europe this year at the first hurdle by a Welsh club

I agree, but maybe if we defended it a bit more then the quality would increase. I certainly don't think it's as bad as some think. But it's just surprising how the premiership convinced everyone how good their league was when it wasn't the best in the world until it arguably became best in the world and we try to do the opposite regarding our league. 

It might be too late to make any difference now, but I just found it strange why we try to advertise our league  is as shite as much as we can. A bit strange when we're trying to sell a product.

4 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

I agree, but maybe if we defended it a bit more then the quality would increase. I certainly don't think it's as bad as some think. But it's just surprising how the premiership convinced everyone how good their league was when it wasn't the best in the world until it arguably became best in the world and we try to do the opposite regarding our league. 

It might be too late to make any difference now, but I just found it strange why we try to advertise our league  is as shite as much as we can. A bit strange when we're trying to sell a product.

I've never tried to and never would try to convince anyone to watch Scottish football that might only be getting into the sport.

I'd certainly try and convince them to support Rangers but I wouldn't stand there and tell them to waste their time trying to find a different club within the league if they are wanting to watch a good level of football

5 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I've never tried to and never would try to convince anyone to watch Scottish football that might only be getting into the sport.

I'd certainly try and convince them to support Rangers but I wouldn't stand there and tell them to waste their time trying to find a different club within the league if they are wanting to watch a good level of football

I never said we should fight for our reputation solely on the quality of our league. I'm saying it's a bit silly not defending the league in whatever way we can when someone questions it. It's a product at the end of the day, so why are we shitting on ourselves?

For example, someone says our league is shite and most of us would say aye youre right so it is. 

What a wonderful way to advertise our product - of which affects our club to a high degree.

My point is there are other fronts we could be fighting on, the great rivalry between us and the wanks, the history and traditions of the clubs, the great players that have graced our pitches in the past.

But none of that really matters because most of the time the response is... aye it's shite.

That's the problem I'm seeing.

Do you think politicians would get very far by admitting all their faults all the time? Of course not, they try to evade points about their deficiencies and at the same time advertise their abilities. 

Maybe this is a better way to go about things then just saying, aye we're shite.

59 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Onazi played for Lazio and is currently playing in Turkey, his selection is not relevant to Aribo at all. As for Etebo that's not a valid comparison either considering he was first capped in 2013 and already has 35 caps to his name.

The only one in anyway comparable is Ajayi at WBA, who had played around 150 minutes for Nigeria over the last year. In other words he hardly featured whilst playing in the championship for Rotherham the whole year and also in 2016-2017 season. Never made the ACON squad in January, if Nigeria were involved in that tournament this up coming Jan you can guarantee Aribo would make the squad.

Usual suspects trying to downplay our importance for Aribos recognition!

Their last squad for that tournament had players playing in the Championship, German lower leagues, South African league and even the Nigerian league itself.

If you think Aribo has only been capped because he moved to us then you're mental.

8 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Their last squad for that tournament had players playing in the Championship, German lower leagues, South African league and even the Nigerian league itself.

If you think Aribo has only been capped because he moved to us then you're mental.

BowyersPatrickBoots imo

32 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Germany lower leagues lol.. was a player from a side currently playing in the top division in Germany.

Making it sound like the squad was filled with lower level players from 3rd tier in Germany. One of those TWO championship players was Mikel, you know the Nigeria captain with 2 Prem titles, a UCL and EL. 

Country picking player currently playing in the country shocker.. also he was a GK as was the single player from SA. An area Nigeria are known to have issues in.

Otabor, Enobakhare and Onyedinma have all played in Championship and never got a call up!

That's not what I've made it sound like at all. You're being dramatic to try and validate your own point.

The fact is players from shit leagues get called up to the Nigeria squad. It's not a top side filled with world class players all through their squad we're talking about here, they very much have a mixture of talent in their team.

He would have been on their radar after his performances last season which attracted a lot of interest in him but if you want to believe that he's been called up to his national squad solely off the back of 12 games for us, a third of which were against part time opposition then batter in.

Nobody is saying playing for us hasn't helped him but the claim that he's only there because of us is nonsense.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived