Welcome back Tavernier

GOAT

Just now, bluenoz said:

"I think he's been playing well and he's still contributing in attack with more goals and assists so far this season than he had at this point last season."

I just responded to your comments that would suggest you think he is having a good season.

I think that he's been mostly good tbh.

But can also see why he frustrates a lot of people.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Did we concede less down the right last season when Candeias was playing?

We were stronger down the right we are weaker now and have conceded down that side in two of our most important games.

You seem to have some sort of Tav blindness.

15 minutes ago, wewillfollowrangers said:

From Mr "Let’s play Tavernier at left back" :rofl:

He cannae  be any worse this season if he did switch to the left 🙂 He’s been awful on the right this season, to the point folk are wanting him dropped for Polster who has shown absolutely  hee haw.

plus, if as most Tav lovers suggest, if he is indeed so much better than Flanagan then he should be able to switch. That one’s been discussed to death before, and rubbished mainly by folk who have presumably never had a questionable thought or suggestion in their life so let’s move on.

If discussing the merits of a player and their position of course their natural position is relevant. Pure and simple. 

Ive not said at any point Flanagan should replace Tav. 

Flangan is a better defender than Tav.

That doesn’t mean he’s a better or more valuable player. He can just get the basics of defending right far more often than Tav can. 

Just now, beararse said:

He cannae  be any worse this season if he did switch to the left 🙂 He’s been awful on the right this season, to the point folk are wanting him dropped for Polster who has shown absolutely  hee haw.

plus, if as most Tav lovers suggest, if he is indeed so much better than Flanagan then he should be able to switch. That one’s been discussed to death before, and rubbished mainly by folk who have presumably never had a questionable thought or suggestion in their life so let’s move on.

If discussing the merits of a player and their position of course their natural position is relevant. Pure and simple. 

Ive not said at any point Flanagan should replace Tav. 

Flangan is a better defender than Tav.

That doesn’t mean he’s a better or more valuable player. He can just get the basics of defending right far more often than Tav can. 

"Tav lover"  patter Is fucking dog shit. Absolutely honking.

22 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Why are you now adding in the "natural position" part? Throughout his career he has played both LB and RB, he's equally shite at both.

He's played 36 games for us and around 4 of them as a RB. That clearly makes him our backup LB, fuck knows why you're not seeing this here - Gerrard even signed another RB in Polster to compete for the RB slot, so if Flanagan was a "natural" RB, surely he wouldn't have needed Polster?

Because folk like yourself seem incapable of recognising the fact that he worked his way through the Liverpool youth system and  into the Liverpool team and England U21s etc as a right back.

You keep prattling in about where he’s played for us, which I’m not denying.

That doesn’t change the fact he’s a right footed full back who played right back until he filled in for someone on the left. 

If you’re a right footed right full back that makes it your natural position. 

There’s an easy way to stop the bitching at each other, we need more quality to take us up a level it’s been proven a few times this season and it will continue until we recruit better players, it’s easier said than done.

polster & Flanagan, pfftt anybody who thinks that’s the solution to our problem is just a stupid cunt imo, clearly Gerrard disne think it will solve the problem either, both should be away by the end of the season if we are learning any lessons

13 minutes ago, beararse said:

Because folk like yourself seem incapable of recognising the fact that he worked his way through the Liverpool youth system and  into the Liverpool team and England U21s etc as a right back.

You keep prattling in about where he’s played for us, which I’m not denying.

That doesn’t change the fact he’s a right footed full back who played right back until he filled in for someone on the left. 

If you’re a right footed right full back that makes it your natural position. 

I'm not incapable of recognising it, it's just pointless recognising it - all that's irrelevant when he's now playing as a LB.

Your original point was that he's better defensively at RB than Tav, that's clearly pish because he's barely played at RB for us and when he has, he's been terrible both defensively and offensively. 

You then attempted to merge the LB and RB position so that it suited your argument and then added in the "natural position" part for some reason.

Flanagan has put in the odd good performance at LB, I'll agree with that, but to say he's better in any way than Tav as a RB, is nonsense.

2 hours ago, bluenoz said:

If he was content at 1-1 like he should have been, we wouldn't have lost possession at the corner kick and free kick in the last 90 seconds. We would have taken them short to keep possession.

And Tavernier did slip or kind of got his studs caught in the turf. Those surfaces are ridiculous.

He doesn't get his studs caught, he loses purchase on the turf as he's turning and he's half way down as he's attempting to swing a leg at the ball. Its almost imperceptable at full speed but if you slow it down he looks like wiley coyote running in the one spot :lol:

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

1-1 would’ve been a solid result away from home to a team that hasn’t lost on their home patch for a year.

On the face of it aye but having seen how poor they were I think he should be demanding more, especially after taking the lead. We never hit them on the break with any real intent after the goal.

2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Lost his man twice to let them get a free shot on goal and twice McGregor saved his arse. 

Mate better Rangers defenders could have that fact thrown at them.

There's a reason why we all think Shagger was so good his first time round, it wasn't because he had fuck all to do for 90 minutes 40 or 50 games a season.

1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

Also, grown men calling people "Tav lovers" and "Tav haters" is an absolute riddy btw.

It's this black and white thinking that grinds my gears too. He has his ups and downs as a player and his faults as many do. Yes he made costly mistakes last night and not for the first time but the hysteria we are seeing is way OTT. As you alluded to early in this thread, theres too many on here loving the fact he fucked up and now they have their excuse to go off on one....

1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

Your original point was that he's better defensively at RB than Tav,

Wrong.

I said he was a better defender, and that he is (as much as you can’t get your head around it) a right back.

I never said he was a better right back as he lacks Tav’s ability going forward and that has to get taken into account.

My original statement was that he was a better defender and Tav a better attacking full back.

Nor have I said he should replace Tav. 

It was a comment regarding Flanagan’s ability as a defender, which is clearly better than Tav’s who time and time again gets caught out or fucks up.

Put it this way, if Tav offered as much/little  as Flanagan going forward, he wouldn’t be in the starting 11 because he’s not a good defender.

52 minutes ago, MisterC said:

It's this black and white thinking that grinds my gears too. He has his ups and downs as a player and his faults as many do. Yes he made costly mistakes last night and not for the first time but the hysteria we are seeing is way OTT. As you alluded to early in this thread, theres too many on here loving the fact he fucked up and now they have their excuse to go off on one....

We ARE only going for the title after all. It's this season or nothing and he does not posses either the mentality nor the ability. He's been rank for months and shows no signs of letting up.

Archived