dummiesoot

• Replies 50.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By ROGER HANNAH

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (6)

RSS Share it Email Print

MICHEL PLATINI eats, sleeps and drinks football.

The French legend has absorbed every aspect of the beautiful game.

He captained his country to Euro 84 glory and Juventus to European Cup success.

He coached superstars like Eric Cantona, Franck Sauzee and Jean-Pierre Papin at Euro 92.

Now he's the most powerful man in European football as UEFA President.

A true football man, he's so deeply immersed in the game he loves that there's scarcely a role he wouldn't fulfil.

But even Platini insists he wouldn't be an SPL referee for all the wine in Burgundy.

Platini and Willie Collum sampled the unique Old Firm experience for the first time on Sunday.

Platini was in the posh seats at Celtic Park between John Reid and Dermot Desmond.

Collum was in the hotseat as meaty tackles flew in out on the pitch and good sense flew out of the window.

By the final blast of his whistle Collum knew he'd been in the game of his life.

But Platini believes he should never again have to handle that fierce pressure on his own.

He said: "This is the story of a referee. He is always under pressure because he is one man.

"In tennis, there is one umpire but 12 people who have a say around a smaller playing area.

"In a beautiful world you respect the decisions of a ref, even when he's made a mistake. We have Fair Play and Respect campaigns.

"But it seems we are still a long way from achieving a good understanding.

"One referee is not enough, not in the modern era where you have 20 cameras.

"These people are going to make mistakes and to be a referee I think you have to be a MASOCHIST.

"The system is bad and I have known this for 40 years.

"The referee has to be helped by the clubs, the fans, by players, by the media and the authorities. Everyone has a responsibility.

"It is why we have added two assistants for Champions League games this season. It is a logical step with so many cameras that can pick up incidents."

Platini wants refs to get greater backing from everyone.

Advertisement

He wants clubs to stop heaping pressure on whistlers ahead of big games, as Neil Lennon did with Collum last Friday. He wants clubs to stop complaining about officials after matches, as Celtic did with Dougie McDonald last week.

He wants players to play their part by respecting refs - a thinly-veiled swipe at Old Firm sinners like Kirk Broadfoot and Anthony Stokes.

And he also wants the game's authorities to back his pleas for more officials to help out the man in black.

Platini, 55, added: "It is unfair. The cameras can see everything, but the referee only has one pair of eyes.

"Every time he makes a mistake, those cameras are there to focus on it. It is why for the past ten years I have asked to change the job of the referee. I want to help improve the situation and give the referees better support. We have to help them, that's my philosophy.

"But referees can also help themselves and they have the power to earn respect.

"When I was a player, if I went face-to-face with a referee and received a yellow card I would not go near him again.

"If the referee did not show me a yellow card, I would see a weakness in him and do it again. That is reality.

"The ref has to be allowed to do his job. We understand there is a big pressure on him, but it is up to all of us to help."

Platini is not an advocate of the goalline technology so beloved by former SFA chief executive Gordon Smith.

He says it would make the game just like 'PlayStation football'.

But after his first taste of Old Firm action, he believes whistlers like Collum need more help.

He said: "The more eyes there to assist the ref, the better the chance of spotting those incidents."

Collum was slammed by Lennon for not sending off Gers midfielder Lee McCulloch on Sunday.

The Hoops boss was also raging the ref awarded a spot-kick when Broadfoot bumped into Daniel Majstorovic. The post-match war of words probably wasn't what Platini wanted to hear.

But the Frenchman admits he ENJOYED every other aspect of his Old Firm initiation.

He said: "The fervour and the anticipation of the fans is special.

I love the passion of football fans in Scotland.

"They come to support their team with colour, with happiness and without violence.

"I think the spectacle of a European Championships would be helped by the Scotland supporters. They bring so much to the game."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3196583/Referee-Old-Firm-game-You-would-need-to-be-a-masochist.html#ixzz13V661rLR

lol

"Get off ze ref's back! I loved ze fans, songs and colours! In fact, ze could earn you a major international championship!"

That's a bigger own goal than Loovens'!

Oh, did a big game ever go better? :D

I think Rab did this more than a year ago, but he, or others can verify.

In the two weeks after the tims harass a linesman out of the game and threaten the the life of a second official, they were outraged BBC Radio Scotland interviewing Jeff Winter as a ref due to his leanings, so they quoted our interview with Jeff, including my own question about what evil little bassas they are, especially for refs and particularly so when they lose....

Rangersmedia.co.uk - Is the Old Firm derby a match that you wish you could have refereed?

Jeff - I wish I could, not because of my support for Rangers, but because it is one of the biggest club games in the world, with a unique atmosphere

Rangersmedia.co.uk - Have you ever had your windows smashed, your religion dragged through the mud, your address published inviting attacks or your family threatened? If not, are you glad you never refereed Celtic?

Jeff - I have had a couple of anonymous letters but that's about it. The other forms of intimidation are the work of cowards. I would much rather have it out with someone if they had the guts to voice an opinion and then listen to my point of view. Scotland being such a small country and the fans of the OF being so extreme in some cases has led to acts you describe. It is sad, I have experienced the attitudes of a minority of Celtic via my website, purely because I admitted my support of Rangers

Rangersmedia.co.uk: Have you ever changed a decision realising you made a mistake or pretended you didn't and stuck by it?

Jeff: Me, make a mistake, never! Once you have made your decision and play has restarted you can't change it. You make your decision and then stand by your convictions. After a game you might then realize your error but by then it's too late to do anything about it. You just have to learn from your mistakes and make sure that you don't make the same mistake again

Rangersmedia.co.uk: Who was the manager you liked best and disliked most in your time as a ref?

Jeff: It was not a case of liking or not liking, it was more of a case of who you had the most run-ins with. I had some good old ding dongs with both Strachan and O'Neil long before they went to Celtic. The one I had least time for was probably David O'Leary.

Rangersmedia.co.uk: Should there be retrospective justice for "Simulation" if it is clear from video evidence?

Jeff: Yes. In my opinion, a Monday morning video review of match incidents and retrospective disciplinary action should be made commonplace.

RangersMedia.co.uk - What started your love for Rangers?

Jeff - Jim Baxter. Also, nearly being stabbed by a lad in a Celtic shirt

RangersMedia.co.uk - In your opinion, what would be the best way to cut out the play-acting and feigning injury that all too often spoils games?

Jeff - Name and shame, retrospective punishment for those who we see have cheated

If I was a tim I'd be raging and wanting Lennon out. He's basically just admitted that after being 1-0 up at HOME to your oldest rivals he would be happy to get a draw. I'd expect Smith in that situation to go for the jugular.

Archived