Morgaro Gomis - Dundee Utd.

MaD CoW

Rangers poised to make third signing

WALTER SMITH is ready to make it a hat-trick of summer signings.

His latest target is a surprise seven-figure move for Dundee United’s Morgaro Gomis.

The Rangers boss landed his first target when Kenny Miller’s £1.9 million transfer from Derby County was concluded on Friday.

His second will be tied up in the next 48 hours, with ex-Hearts striker Andrius Velicka jetting in for the medical that will complete his £1.5 million switch from Viking Stavanger.

The 29-year-old Lithuanian has made his desire to join Rangers public, and has been given the green light to go by the Norwegian outfit.

Great

Following those successes, Smith has now turned his sights back to Scotland and to Tannadice, in particular.

Gomis put in great displays against Rangers in both the CIS Cup Final, which United lost on penalties, and in the 3-3 draw the clubs fought out in the SPL at Tannadice a couple of weeks later.

Only 22-years-old, the Frenchman compared favourably against more illustrious opponents such as Barry Ferguson and, in the CIS Final, Kevin Thomson.

That was no surprise for Tangerines boss Craig Levein, who has been thrilled at the progress his player has made with the club since making the step up from Cowdenbeath.

Originally handed an 18-month contract after a successful two-week trial, Gomis was given a new, more lucrative deal last September.

Future

It runs to 2010, a term reflecting Levein’s view the former Chelsea youth player is one for the future.

But, with the Tayside club having picked him up for nothing, the chance to make a profit of around £1 million on the player would be hard to resist.

Given his impressive record of finding talent in Scotland’s lower leagues — Craig Conway, Danny Grainger and Danny Swanson are other examples — the United boss may also be persuaded that some of the cash could be used to try to bring in targets of his own, such as Willo Flood.

Flood starred on loan for United last season playing alongside Gomis in central midfield.

Since then, though, he has returned to Cardiff City, who are asking for upwards of £200,000 to let him leave on a more permanent deal.

Also on Rangers’ radar, meanwhile, is Sporting Lisbon’s £1.75 million-rated striker Milan Purovic.

The Light Blues have fierce competition for his signing with clubs including Stuttgart, Fenerbache, Besiktas, Borussia Moenchengladbach and Schalke all also showing interest in the 23-year-old Montenegrin.

http://www.sundaypost.com/postindex.htm

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have to say i disagree with most of you guys on this one.

he will be a decent player for us, and while he may not be the quality we are looking for, he is only 22 and from what i have seen looks to have a bit of potential.

either that or my expectations have been lowered by the Millar signing!

have to say i disagree with most of you guys on this one.

he will be a decent player for us, and while he may not be the quality we are looking for, he is only 22 and from what i have seen looks to have a bit of potential.

either that or my expectations have been lowered by the Millar signing!

I think you answered your own question :beer2:

Id maybe see the point in signing him if he was 21, but he wont even make the bench most weeks!!

He better not be our replacement for Thomson..........

Also £1.5 million for Velicka now!!! How the fuck did Martin Bain fuck this deal up, they only wanted £1 million for him.

Showed up our midfield - so that shows you just how bad we are.

Still think we should be looking at CLASS targets.

The argument would have to be then, that he is better than we have at the moment, s, how is that a bad signing? :P

Add to that, I would much rather have this guy coming off the bench than Hemdani, Adam, Dailly etc.

I have no problem buying squad players of a decent level, expecially when they are young. He could improve like Thomson did

Surely we canny be serious about a guy who has played a few decent games .

Has Walter taken a blow to the head.

This is becoming embarrassing..................

Get rid of Buffel and bring in this balloon.................fuck me

well sorry to disagree, gomis aint gettin peepl wantin him due to a couple of good games, its a fans right to judge players by performances that they c weekly, gomis has more to his game which would show if surrounded by better players, get the most out of them,, and i for one would snap up davis for 3 million in cash, maybe some of you just dont recognise potential, all i think with half these threads is most dont know the value oh a loaf oh bread let alone players, wat u expecting, podolski and villa, were a wee nation with 2 big teams, its all about spirit and determination and i believe watchin my team of players last season gettin to a euro final says it all, u dog our players but they got us there with a fight, i have faith in walter and ally, all u doubters out there, and there plenty, judge on the pitch not on your beliefs

Id maybe see the point in signing him if he was 21, but he wont even make the bench most weeks!!

He better not be our replacement for Thomson..........

Also �1.5 million for Velicka now!!! How the fuck did Martin Bain fuck this deal up, they only wanted £1 million for him.

Spot on

We dont need anymore Squad Players :mad:

How can we not need any more squad players if we are looking at......

Brahim Hemdani

Alan Gow

Daniel Cousin

Thomas Buffel

All possibly leaving this summer and with further enquires in regards to Charlie Adam along with long term injuries to Burke & Naismith. Add to this Davis returning to Fulham and no talks reported at this stage to bring him back......

That is a possible 8 squad players with 5 heavily involved last season.

You saw how difficult it became at the end of the season with injuries and suspensions along with form loss due to the amount of games.

I firmly believe we most certainly do require squad players and the aforementioned 3-4 quality signings.

Just my thoughts!

Brahim Hemdani

Alan Gow

Daniel Cousin

Thomas Buffel

All possibly leaving this summer and with further enquires in regards to Charlie Adam along with long term injuries to Burke & Naismith. Add to this Davis returning to Fulham and no talks reported at this stage to bring him back......

You saw how difficult it became at the end of the season with injuries and suspensions along with form loss due to the amount of games.

I firmly believe we most certainly do require squad players and the aforementioned 3-4 quality signings.

Just my thoughts!

We need a player that improves the 1st team,Not another squad player (td)

Brahim Hemdani

Alan Gow

Daniel Cousin

Thomas Buffel

Just my thoughts!

We need a player that improves the 1st team,Not another squad player (td)

So when said player gets injured who do we field......especially when half the squad have been moved on with no replacements brought in?

We do need the player(s) as you say, I agree 110% but we also need fresh squad players...I see this alleged target as squad and not 1st team improvement desired by all